Dan693

Old Reel Mower

Dan693

My Bro has a nice little 1952 Excello reel mower that he's trying to find replacement wheels for. It's all original and has a 1 HP Briggs on it.

I never knew they even made engines that small but they did. The little stinker fires right up and actually mows pretty well.

The attached pic isn't his but is almost identical.

Let me know if anyone has a lead on where to find replacement wheels for this little guy.

Thx

rotary.jpg

• Like 7

Jerry77
1 hour ago, Dan693 said:

has a 1 HP Briggs on it.

I never knew they even made engines that small but they did

I have a 2 hp briggs horizontal from an old reel mower..slick little engine...

• Like 1

Chris G

i have a 1950 and 51 briggs model 5S that came off the Eclipse rocket reel mowers. i also have several other old Briggs. I think my 1936 Kickstart Model Y is my favorite. Its a 1/2 Hp engine and is Tagged Sears and roebucks. Came off of a old washer.  the photo of two engines is a 5s and the 6s. both run just need new fuel tanks and air cleaners. the y model i tracked down the starter gear and clutch pieces and put it together and it runs great.

thumbnail.jpg

thumbnail (1).jpg

thumbnail (2).jpg

• Like 3

Mike'sHorseBarn

I have too many reel mowers and even have a wheel horse! Have another REO that I don't have pictures of as well and i am thinking about getting rid of some of them lol. If you contact HAPCO parts who bought out dandy sales they have tires for reel mowers, but you will need to know your size.

http://hapcoparts.com/about-us.aspx

There is the link for there contact info. I know the site hows they are a JD parts dealer, but they did buy out dandy sales and all of their inventory. I have bought from them before and they are very helpful!

myreelmower.jpg20151111_153019.jpg20160531_185006.jpg

Edited by Mike'sHorseBarn
  • Like 4
  • Excellent 1

pfrederi

Picked this one up a few years ago.  Got it cleaned up and running but can't find an after picture.  My father had one years ago and i mowed with it when i was a kid.  Self propelled they wore the tires smooth.  Remember father firing up the coleman white gas camp stove with a big pot of water on it. First heated up the old wheel/tire then pried it off after it softened.  Heated up the new tire and pried it on.  Need new tires for mine also.  Found a pair in the back of an old hardware store but they were the wrong size....

IMG_2218.jpg

• Like 3

Sarge

My grandfather had a small assortment of old reel mowers - it's how they did their lawn for 65yrs weekly. We used to spend some long days putting the dog gear crank handle on them and using his home brew of grinding paste to slowly bed the blades and knife back in to being sharp as a razor. When it would cut tissue paper - it was good to go. Knife height/clearance set and it was back in service. He even had a Suburban that was powered by a small Briggs - the tires were always bald on it but he had taken a saw and cut a new tread pattern into the tires, worked quite well.  In some ways I wish I'd kept all of them - even the old Briggs still ran fine up until I started mowing their property with the 1277 when I got - the thing barely fit through the gate and their small yard was a lot of work to maneuver around with the long frame tractor.

Sarge

pfrederi
25 minutes ago, Sarge said:

My grandfather had a small assortment of old reel mowers - it's how they did their lawn for 65yrs weekly. We used to spend some long days putting the dog gear crank handle on them and using his home brew of grinding paste to slowly bed the blades and knife back in to being sharp as a razor. When it would cut tissue paper - it was good to go. Knife height/clearance set and it was back in service. He even had a Suburban that was powered by a small Briggs - the tires were always bald on it but he had taken a saw and cut a new tread pattern into the tires, worked quite well.  In some ways I wish I'd kept all of them - even the old Briggs still ran fine up until I started mowing their property with the 1277 when I got - the thing barely fit through the gate and their small yard was a lot of work to maneuver around with the long frame tractor.

Sarge

There was a much easier way.  You added a few links to the drive chain and mounted a sprocket in the looped hole rerouted the chain around it and the drive sprocket and the blades turned backward.  apply some valve grinding compound and you  were set.

InkedIMG_2219_LI.jpg

• Like 2

Dan693

I think the rims are ok......but the tires are all but gone.

Sarge

Yes, on the powered Suburban we did the blades using the engine. On the non-powered reel units it was my job to steadily turn the crank - Grandpa used me for the engine as a "learning tool", lol...

Sarge

Reel Mower Freak

I use a drill to run the reel backwards for back-lapping the blades. Works really well and saves a ton of time. Properly adjusting the bed knife is an tough skill to master. When done right there is nothing that cuts better though. 

charging10

Ive run into the same problem, finding just the replacement rubber tire is hard to come by.