Rustyred

C-81 1979 replacement solenoid Napa part #??

Rustyred

Hi folks,

I have rebuilt my 1979 C-81, and with the electrical system not working, I have been advised that the most likely issue is the solenoid being faulty. I want to replace it with a new one.

According to the parts manual, the solenoid I need is part number 8658. Does anyone know what part number I need to order if getting this selenoid from Napa?

Your assistance is appreciated,

Rustyred

oldredrider

Go to any parts store and tell them you need a solenoid for a 1980 Ford truck. Very heavy duty and will probably be the last one you'll ever buy. Fits perfectly too.

• Excellent 2

squonk

Make sure you get the correct # of terminals or take a picture of the wires on your old one. Some Ford applications have a 4 post solenoid and some 3

pfrederi

Big Box stores  (Lowes, Home Depot) usually have solenoids.  They are pretty generic.  Only thing, sometimes it may have 2 small terminals instead of 1.  It will still work you only use one. (Usually stamped S or +)  The other maybe marked I you don not use that one,

Edited by pfrederi

Howie

Some of those solenoids with the two terminals the second one is the ground. They are not grounded thru the mounting plate.

Just a little more info to consider.:)

• Like 3

Rustyred

All helpful input. Thanks.