ClassicTractorProfessor

Restoration of Ray's C141

ClassicTractorProfessor

Not much progress to report on, but little progress is still better than no progress. Broke down and bought a parts washer last weekend, best $100 I ever spent. Got most of the pieces to the transmission cleaned up. Looks like everything besides bearings should be able to be salvaged. 

20190112_160022.jpg

20190112_160030.jpg

20190112_160035.jpg

• Like 4

Pullstart

They sure do make messy jobs nicer to work with, huh?

c-series don

I would be so scared that I would not remember how to put that back together 😳

WHX??

Now would be a good time to add a 2nd over the hump drain plug Prof.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, WHX21 said:

Jim I thought about doing that with a couple of mine but I had not dared to try to cut threads into that cast-iron. Is that something that can be easily done ?

Pullstart
10 minutes ago, WHX21 said:

8 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Jim I thought about doing that with a couple of mine but I had not dared to try to cut threads into that cast-iron. Is that something that can be easily done ?

A good pipe tap, the right sized tap drill and some cutting oil, I can’t imagine it’s that tough.  Great idea Jim!

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H
14 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Cast iron is actually quite malleable, as long as you're tools are sharp should go quite well. U know our Ace hardware sells taps with the correct drill bit packaged together.

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

ClassicTractorProfessor
40 minutes ago, c-series don said:

I would be so scared that I would not remember how to put that back together 😳

They're not too bad, I've got all the pieces laid out in the order that they came out in, and the book is handy on the shelf beside my bench if I need to refer back to it. I figure after doing several NV4500s and a few Ford ZF-5s one of these shouldn't be too hard. Now the real challenge will be when I finally decide to tackle the 4L60E in our TrailBlazer...THAT might be a challenge:text-lol:

18 minutes ago, WHX21 said:

I have considered this idea before, not only on this tractor but on my worker C125 as well, but like Eric I'm a little concerned about cutting threads in the cast housing

• Like 1

Pullstart
44 minutes ago, Professor1990 said:

They're not too bad, I've got all the pieces laid out in the order that they came out in, and the book is handy on the shelf beside my bench if I need to refer back to it. I figure after doing several NV4500s and a few Ford ZF-5s one of these shouldn't be too hard. Now the real challenge will be when I finally decide to tackle the 4L60E in our TrailBlazer...THAT might be a challenge:text-lol:

I have considered this idea before, not only on this tractor but on my worker C125 as well, but like Eric I'm a little concerned about cutting threads in the cast housing

I’ve done a 4L80E, just don’t make the mistake of not checking the solenoids in the valve body!  I toasted my fresh rebuild in 100 miles by not replacing those pesky solenoids!

• Sad 1

WHX??

Cast is very easy to tap. Hardest part is getting the tap started in strait with the called for 7/16 drill on a tap chart for a 1/4-18 NPT. Using a tad larger drill, 29/64 will help and still give good threads. I also make magnetic drain plugs.

20190112_215742.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
7 hours ago, WHX21 said:

make magnetic drain plugs.

Make?

Do tell.....

I've been known to stick a neodymium magnet to an engine block on the outside near the drain exit.

WVHillbilly520H
2 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Make?

Do tell.....

I've been known to stick a neodymium magnet to an engine block on the outside near the drain exit.

You can buy them at auto parts stores already magnetic.

WHX??

1/8×1/4 round magnet off eBay cheap. 1/4-18 npt square head drain plug from the hardware store. Drill a hole in the end of the plug and a little JB weld to hold it in. 

I usually get the deer in the headlights look when I ask for them in 1/4-18 npt at the auto stores. :wacko:

20171003_181954.jpg

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Just search "magnetic oil drain plug"...ebay has 'em in multi packs for cheap $.