Red Headed Horse

Lawn Ranger

WHX??

Understood Bob :handgestures-thumbupright: they have a way of getting ratty afer 50 some years. You fellas wanna see a nice LR @wheelhorseman should step up to the plate! :) Hear tell his boy has got a dandy!

Edited by WHX14
  • Like 2

wheelhorseman

My 1964 that I have had since I was a kid!imageproxy.php?img=&key=233175c88be08e9bimageproxy.php?img=&key=233175c88be08e9bimageproxy.php?img=&key=233175c88be08e9b

C774B3A4-9503-4A03-8CC4-461D2CD07618.jpeg

02598487-EE1B-4641-8564-E31467635F86.jpeg

5A7A4EAC-20F8-4665-9ACB-572CD5BE8456.jpeg

60389681-187C-4FEB-A34F-F15A7478312E.jpeg

Edited by wheelhorseman
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 4
  • Thanks 1

WHX??

Sorry Red Head not to steal your thread but your'e the one who started us on Lawn Rangers! 

20170826_101547.jpg

20170826_122022.jpg

Edited by WHX14
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Red Headed Horse

Great to see different subtle versions of the Lawn Rangers.B)

Sarge
13 hours ago, BOB ELLISON said:

@WHX14This is the original and the new one I'm making now. It had a white cover but I think I'll make a new cover also.

20180121_101555.jpg

20180128_171755.jpg

Just for fun - hunt around the UK for anyone that makes embossed vinyl like that - it is long gone here in the US and several of us have been hunting for a suitable material to duplicate it .Most just use a stitched seam to make the lines, but it will never looks quite right and close enough to the original. There were quite a few models that used that seat in the mid/late 60's - nearly all are cracked in the stamped metal and restoring them is a job. I have 2 , ratty originals off the 1277 model but have never found the material to match the center white strip. It is possible to buy a heavier marine grade vinyl or leather and have someone use a grooving tool to make the lines at the correct spacing - but even that wouldn't be easy and it will weaken the material. From my world-class upholstery guy nearby - he thinks the stuff was heat embossed by a roller when it was originally made . Whoever made the material itself is evidently gone or it's just outdated and discontinued. I've contacted several specialty manufacturers that can do different patterns but none want to tackle this stuff in a batch small enough to be affordable - they want you to buy several rolls that weigh hundreds of pounds at minimum - not going to happen, lol. I would think somewhere on this planet there are leftover rolls of the stuff - who knows but it would be a cool find...

Those little buggers are growing on me but I doubt unless one falls in my lap I'd own one. There is a really nice one for sale nearby but they want $700 for it - understandable as it's been fully repainted but at that price I'd have to work the snot out of it to justify the purchase. Would be fun to make a platform hitch off the back of the D series' 3pt hitch and carry one around as a "pit bike"...lol.

Sarge

• Like 1

Red Headed Horse

Sarge, There is a guy in Canada making new covers for Bolens. Doing a fantastic job and the quality is spot on. His work can be see on the Bolens Forum under his avatar Chev 29 on GTt.

Sarge

I have yet to see any using embossed material like the originals - but I believe it was used on other brands from what I remember during research but it's been awhile. Unless someone is making the stuff, it is long gone.

Sarge

ACman
14 hours ago, BOB ELLISON said:

@WHX14This is the original and the new one I'm making now. It had a white cover but I think I'll make a new cover also.

20180121_101555.jpg

20180128_171755.jpg

Yea I could use three myself.... 3D printing maybe in the future :confusion-shrug: ?

• Like 1

wh1257

I found this beautiful and orginal in an old barn in belguim

20170612_210246.jpg

• Like 3

Red Headed Horse

That's very nice too. Do you guys have a big European WH scene over in Belgium? There are quite a few WH lads over here in the UK that I know.

wh1257
15 minutes ago, Red Headed Horse said:

That's very nice too. Do you guys have a big European WH scene over in Belgium? There are quite a few WH lads over here in the UK that I know.

I know a few people who have a wheel horse, we have several times visited the old factory in Belgium, but we do not have a real group here in Belgium

• Like 1

Red Headed Horse
11 minutes ago, wh1257 said:

I know a few people who have a wheel horse, we have several times visited the old factory in Belgium, but we do not have a real group here in Belgium

Vincent,  have you tried My Old Machine Forum which is a UK based forum and is a sister forum to Red Square. Quite a few WH owners on that forum including a chap from Holland.

Maxwell-8
On 1/31/2018 at 9:38 PM, wh1257 said:

Would love to make one tho, 

OKey i am making a club right now