David Portenier

2 stage blower knocking

David Portenier

Can someone please give me guidance of why my 2 stage blower is making a knocking sound when engaged and running??

Thanks all!

Dave Portenier 

lynnmor

Drive chain adjusted?  Belt going bad?  Idler pulley bearings rough?  Auger bearings bad?  Gear boxes have lube and good bearings?

• Like 2

Kurt-NEPA

What lynnmor said.  My first thought was badly worn auger shaft bearings letting the auger shaft bang around.  Easy check. 

• Like 1

wallfish

Another possibility which causes a loud knocking sound is if the impeller is not locked to the shaft, it will slip forward and hit the augers. Take one guess how I know this. Forgot to lock it down after changing the bearing.

• Like 2

David Portenier

Thanks for the replies!!!.....I had my twin sit on the tractor and engage the belt while I listening from the front and pinpoint the sound.....the knocking sound is coming from the right auger on the end near the frame of the blower. Would that be a bad bearing in the auger??

Thanks!

Edited by David Portenier
  • Like 2

wallfish

Probably is. Without the tractor running, just grab hold of the auger and try to move it around. The bearing (Actually a bushing) is that part attached to the side with 4 bolts in which the auger shaft goes. If the shaft moves around in the bearing, they are worn and should be replaced.

Here's the files for the blower. The TIPL will show the parts drawing.

Edited by wallfish
  • Like 4

Kurt-NEPA

Those outboard bushings on the auger shaft are prone to wear.  As wallfish said, just pull up on the auger shaft and see how much play is there.  I would replace them with cam lock bearings. Requires a 1/4" spacer.  Several posts on here about that.

Edited by Kurt-NEPA
  • Like 1

WVHillbilly520H

And here's what should sound/look like running...Jeff....BTW :text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs: and the cam-lock bearing 

VIDEO0001.mp4

IMAG1700.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Kurt-NEPA

Or my version.  There are round and triangular versions.

5a6d2f728ac37_AugerShaftBearing.thumb.jpg.62dcee0c07addd10ee969fe87e97c8b2.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

David Portenier

Holy Moly!!!!  Thanks for all the info guys!!!!!!!! Your help is greatly appreciated. :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

cleat

Mine got making a clicking sound and it was the auger hitting a bolt for the skid on the side.

Easy fix, just had to flip the bolt.

Cleat

David Portenier

@WV Hillbilly  Do you still know/have the part number for the cam lock bearing you installed on your 2-stage?  I am thinking of doing that to mine. :) 

WVHillbilly520H

Not sure, I'll have dig through my records I got mine through the "Big Bearing Store" online, and the 1/4" spacer has to be "custom" made, but you can get them (the bearing and flanges) at TSC just measure the auger diameter for the bearing I.D., Jeff. 

Kurt-NEPA

From my notes.

Auger Shaft is 1"
For my bearing modification I used Cam Lock Bearings no. SA205-16.  1" ID. Spherical OD  from US Bearing and Belt -  TSC has them as 1195167

Flanges are T52MSTRZP-1  TSC has them as 1198717.  I got them from Ebay as 52MSTR.  They are 52 mm ID flanges for 7/8 and 1" bearings.
The ones I ordered were Fafnir 52MSTR ZR
I had to fabricate a 1/4" spacer to move the auger shaft bearing inboard.  Without the spacer, the bearing came out past the end of the shaft.

Hope that helps.

I think Jeff used the same bearings, but with a round flange

Maybe this helps too,  This is the drawing for 1/4" spacer.  I think the round flange used the same bolt pattern.

5a6de1e6190cf_BearingFlangeSpacer.jpg.9e19cb371fa73d8d0bc61dcd7a7c4e70.jpg

• Thanks 1