Oldcpecdr

Seat Adjustment

Oldcpecdr

Hey all

My first of many questions !!!!  I attached the plow and fired up the Hydro..... it really is a sweet machine.

I'd like to put the seat back about two inches... is it sacrilege to just drill new mounting holes ? Should I make some extension brackets for the seat and NOT drill new holes ?

Someone must have done this... suggestions ?

And thanks...

Mike B

WH2.jpg

• Like 4

rjg854

I don't personally have a problem with that, many of these tractors have been modified by their owners over the years. You got to be comfortable when your on your tractor.

• Like 5

KC9KAS

Some folks design a bracket/piece of steel that bolts onto the original seat location but allows more flexibility to move the seat itself farther back (or forward) if needed.

You need to be creative!

• Like 5

953 nut

:WRS:

:text-yeahthat:       Might cause a stress point by just drilling new holes. In addition to moving the seat back you can gain some leg room by raising it an inch or two.

• Like 3

gwest_ca

I made brackets to mount a replacement seat because the next seat will likely require something different.

Garry

• Like 2

ebinmaine

@JimmyJam

Maybe you could share what you did for your uncle....

I agree with trying not to drill holes. Not for the sake of originality but for the sake of strength.

• Like 3

Sarge

Hunt around some of the tractor bone yards - some later models of various makes used a slider assembly that is about 3/4" thick. I put one of those on top of the seat springs on a C series and that raised the seat just a bit , but also allowed it to go quite a ways back. Made it a lot more comfortable to operate. Nice part - it allows someone of short stature to use it as well, wish they all would have had an adjustable seat on them. The old 1277 had it's seat bolted directly to the pan - it got a set of C series springs as well as spacer blocks , I'm 6' and can't sit with my legs bent tightly any more, so it helps a lot.

Sarge

• Like 3

JimmyJam

@ebinmaine   Sure! So I needed to extend the seat of a Commando 800 for my 7' uncle. I originally added seat springs from a B-80, thinking it would add height. Next I took Ed Kendall's suggestion by ordering a pair of Unistrut channels and 4 hangers from McMaster-Carr.  I ordered (2) 2-7/16" high channels (Part # 3548T213) and (4) 1/4"-20 Tab-Lock Nuts (Part #2233K11). You can even order them in powder-coated RED. They ship fast. I mounted the channels to the fender pan using original holes (channel has pre-drilled holes, some slotted), then I slid 2 hangers down each of the channels and tightened them down (up) to the seat spring holes and adjusted to the appropriate length. I did have to bolt down the fender pan for safety concerns that my uncle may accidentally hit the seat latch and find himself falling backward. Those Unstrut channels from McMaster-Carr are industrial strength, not like the whimpy U-shaped channels you find at a store.

1219171249 (1).jpg

Uncle2.jpg

Edited by JimmyJam
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 3

JimmyJam

BTW: :text-welcomeconfetti:TO :rs:...another South Coast, Massachusetts member!

• Like 2

Oldcpecdr

Thanks for the ideas !!!

I'll whip up some extender brackets this weekend.

Mike B

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

paxz71usa

Just looked under mine a few minutes ago and there are four sets of holes for adjustment already there and they sure appear to be factory. 

Gary

IMG_20180125_115702994_HDR (720x1280).jpg

Edited by paxz71usa
  • Like 3

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, paxz71usa said:

Just looked under mine a few minutes ago and there are four sets of holes for adjustment already there and they sure appear to be factory. 

Gary

IMG_20180125_115702994_HDR (720x1280).jpg

My b80 is also set up like that with multiple holes.

Unfortunately some other owners have added multiple other holes... and I've drilled two more myself So it's beginning to look a bit like Swiss cheese

• Like 3

Racinbob

I did this when I restored a Commando 800 for my grandson. The slots in the pan give you quite a bit of adjustment. The back of it is bolted directly to the fender pan since there's so need for it to flip up. I'm doing the same thing on my 500 Special. I was also concerned about the fender latch so I spring loaded it latched closed. :)

5a6a1f819d522_JaysCommando.thumb.JPG.2551db434ca29824bd22eca866e29a8c.JPG

• Like 5
  • Excellent 2

paxz71usa

If I eat a few more pancakes and sausage for breakfast, I'll have the front wheels off the ground with seat back much further!:auto-dirtbike:

Gary

• Haha 2

ebinmaine
8 minutes ago, paxz71usa said:

If I eat a few more pancakes and sausage for breakfast, I'll have the front wheels off the ground with seat back much further!:auto-dirtbike:

Gary

I'm right  there withya. ....

• Thanks 1

JimmyJam

I that case add tombstone  weights to the front! 1 for every stack you eat! LOL!!!  :ROTF:

• Haha 1

roadapples
5 hours ago, paxz71usa said:

Gary

Know what you mean. About two biscuits shy of wheelstands myself...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

AMC RULES

:hilarious:

7 minutes ago, roadapples said:

About two biscuits shy of wheelstands myself...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1