Jakeshorsetuff

Hole in block where breather compartment is

Jakeshorsetuff

Hi everyone,on my k301 there was a lot of oil coming out of the bottom of the breather cover so, I decided to take it off and there was some oil around the tappets.I'm not to worried about the oil but there is a hole on the left side of the block where the governor is not sure if this is where the oil is coming from?IMG_2291.jpg.bf9004eca96fdc4506387896ff26998c.jpg

IMG_2289.jpg

Edited by Jakeshorsetuff
  • Sad 1

tunahead72

Can't see your photos. :confusion-shrug:

Jakeshorsetuff

IMG_2289.jpg

IMG_2291.jpg

IMG_2290.jpg

• Like 1

WHX??

Not sure if that hole is on mine or not will have to look as long as it's apart. Your oil looks a little white/foamy. Like it might have water or moisture in it? Check that hole between the tappets that's the oil drain back to the pan. Looks like it's got the foam in it?

Jakeshorsetuff

The breather cover was all rusty and when the piston goes down the hole for the oil to drain back in the pan is blocked. Maybe when I shut the engine off the piston blocks the hole and theres no where for the oil to go.Except out the breather cover.

tunahead72

Is the foamy stuff also streaming out of the right side of the breather cavity?

What's the history on this engine?  Does it sit outside at all?  How often do you change the oil?

• Like 1

JimmyJam

@Jakeshorsetuff Oil does look foamy, due to perhaps water or excessive condensation in the block. Drain the oil and maybe flush out the engine you may have rust or worst metal filings plugging things up. ????  BTW: We're almost neighbor's. We should get together sometime, maybe @ "Home Plate".

Edited by JimmyJam

Jakeshorsetuff

Here"s the history. Its a 1968, I rebuilt it because the piston would move around In the cylinder bore and it would back fire.It has OEM piston rings .030 oversized piston, new bearings, new seals, new OEM camshaft, new valve guides, new valves, new OEM tappets, new OEM valve springs, new OEM head,. new 010 undersized connecting rod, and all new gaskets.Before I rebuilt it the breather gasket leaked real bad but I thought it just needed a new gasket.I did not care when it leaked oil before I rebuilt it because it was the wrong color paint now it is all painted red and all original parts.It has 5 hours on it since I rebuilt it.I've changed the oil once.No signs of white sludge in oil pan though. There has been a ton of moisture on the engine it is stored in a garage that is not climate controlled.

953 nut
4 hours ago, Jakeshorsetuff said:

The breather cover was all rusty and when the piston goes down the hole for the oil to drain back in the pan is blocked. Maybe when I shut the engine off the piston blocks the hole and theres no where for the oil to go.Except out the breather cover.

Are you telling us the hole that goes through the cylinder wall is sealed off by the piston skirt? There should be enough clearance to allow oil to seep out between the piston skirt and cylinder wall if the piston were at BDC. There is a strong likelihood that the piston would be near TDC when it stops because of compression stopping the piston.

WHX??

Yup same hole on mine so guessing it's supposed to be there. Sounds like you know how to build a motor Jake and with all Kohler parts sounds like you got some coin stuck in it too. I'm guessing you have the breather cover all back together right but double check yourself. Make sure that little hole on the inner cover points down.  Also check the covers for flatness. Wouldn't. hurt for some gasket maker or sealer around those covers. All of them seep a little just more noticed on fresh red.

From the service manual for your convenience. Still don't like the looks of that oil. Are you using the tractor for snow duty? Maybe getting some moisture in that way?

Capture2.JPG

Capture.JPG

Edited by WHX14
  • Excellent 1

Jakeshorsetuff

When the piston is at TDC you can put oil in the valve spring compartment and the oil goes down to the oil pan, when the piston is at BDC you can put oil in it but the oil seems to stay in the hole.So if the oil does not  seep through I should just run it hard to where the piston skirt down.

43 minutes ago, WHX14 said:

Yup same hole on mine so guessing it's supposed to be there. Sounds like you know how to build a motor Jake and with all Kohler parts sounds like you got some coin stuck in it too. I'm guessing you have the breather cover all back together right but double check yourself. Make sure that little hole on the inner cover points down.  Also check the covers for flatness. Wouldn't. hurt for some gasket maker or sealer around those covers. All of them seep a little just more noticed on fresh red.

From the service manual for your convenience. Still don't like the looks of that oil. Are you using the tractor for snow duty? Maybe getting some moisture in that way?

Capture2.JPG

Capture.JPG

WHX14 do you think the breather gasket can seal out no mater how much oil is in the valve spring compartment.For the first 5 hours I used it to clear a 1200 foot driveway of 18'' of snow with a snow thrower .

Rob R

Hmmmm agree with the perhaps "condensation" but wondering if the oil level was way to HIGH and the crank beat it into a froth..... also might the carb needle valve gotten stuck and thinned the gas out adding  to the froth.....???? 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

WHX??
25 minutes ago, Jakeshorsetuff said:

no mater how much oil is in the valve spring compartment

I doubt it,  they are like old Harleys they leak oil no matter what you do. Vintage machine tools & techniques  just don't machine like the ones now do resulting in rougher gaskets surfaces and invisible imperfections. .Combine that with low cost gaskets, metal fatigue, expansion/contraction, oil type & brand just to name a few causes of oil leaks. Personally I'd be abit worried if my 50 yo motors didn't leak a little. Just keep an eye on the dipstick. A recent K241 rebuild of mine leaks oil around the cam cover gasket no matter what I do and the base pan gasket is always gonna seep a little. You might be also going against a tight piston skirt to bore clearance which will loosen up a bit with some more run time.

34 minutes ago, Jakeshorsetuff said:

used it to clear a 1200 foot driveway of 18'' of snow

That might explain the moisture/ condensation in there plus the fact it was cold out and the motor didn't get hot enough (in that area)  to evaporate it off. That's why its important to not start a motor in cold weather and not let it get fully warmed up.  Keep an eye on it. Good way to break a new motor in and get those rings seated tho. Sounds like you may be getting close to change out break in oil?

1 minute ago, Rob R said:

thinned the gas

Good points Rob and things to keep an eye on :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

Jakeshorsetuff

Your right there like old Harleys they leak and you can't stop them from leaking.THANKS A LOT:)