Achto

'68 Raider 12 Resto

WVHillbilly520H

Funny thing is, 'gun"painting tractors and equipment was my very first job out of highschool, at the old local IH/CC/NH dealership back home in WV, I used the pre-mixed dealer paints back then, Jeff.

• Like 1

WHX??
3 hours ago, Achto said:

original set screw would then become the second/back up screw

Yup my thoughts

3 hours ago, Achto said:

CNC guy is kind of a slacker though

I'll have to have a word with him then! :lol:

3 hours ago, Achto said:

tranny & a rebuild kit for the tranny you have Jim

Yah probably should have as I won't need full length keys for a future planned trailer queen. What Kind of shape are the existing ways on your axles?

Achto
6 hours ago, WHX14 said:

What Kind of shape are the existing ways on your axles?

My axles?.... Well all they need is to have the key ways and the hole welded shut, true them back up on the lathe, then cut new key ways on the mill. So you know, about average.:unsure:  :D

IMG_20180305_191426185-min.jpg.55815fbb1a2375ba3c6c40646ac049ab.jpg

Edited by Achto
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

PeacemakerJack

Wow Dan—that is looking great!  I like the accent colors on the engine and pump.  This project is coming along nicely.  When will your new seals be in so that you can finish the rear end assembly?

• Like 1

Achto
13 minutes ago, PeacemakerJack said:

When will your new seals be in so that you can finish the rear end assembly?

Not sure, I'm going to order them today from Toro. Hopefully I will have them by the weekend. :handgestures-fingerscrossed:

WHX??

I have a full set of seals here Dan if you need one. That small 5/8 input shaft seal can be a bugger to get in and I wrecked one my first try! :( Let us know what you decided to do with the hubs as @ebinmaine is might be facing the same axle/hub  problem.

Certainly didn't waste any time getting that shroud lettered and stickered! :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

classiccat
On 2/20/2018 at 12:05 PM, Achto said:

I used their A7019 hardener, 16:1 mix. I've had some issues mixing brands in the past, this left me with no one to blame but me for the out come. So now I stick with one brand from start to finish. There will be an exception to that rule on the sheet metal as Vansickle does not offer a urethane fill & sand primer. Some don't like to wet sand urethane primer (me included) but I like it because it does not shrink over time.

Here is a link to their acrylic enamel line up. http://www.vansicklepaint.com/tractor/tta.html

This is their alkyd enamel line up. http://www.vansicklepaint.com/tractor/tractorenamel.html 

My apologies for bumping an older post. 

That 7019 hardener doesn't appear to contain isocyanates... intriguing since I've pretty much thrown-in the towel for using hardeners due to their toxicity...

I'll have to study-up on the other components to see if there's a catch!

• Like 2

JimmyJam

Wow! Looking good so far!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

PeacemakerJack

That is looking great Dan!  Are you planning to paint those red when finished? 

I think those hose will work well to keep your ‘horse’ from bucking you off...:happy-bouncyyellow:

• Thanks 1

Achto
2 minutes ago, PeacemakerJack said:

Are you planning to paint those red when finished? 

Yep, I thought that I could put the spray gun away on this project but it looks like I will have to get it out one more time.:)

• Like 1

Coulter Caleb

Looking good Dan! Can't wait to plow some dirt with you this summer.:auto-layrubber:Now that I'm on the forum, I can follow your projects more closely.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

cpete1
On ‎3‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 9:44 PM, Achto said:

I took one of these blocks and cut it in half to make two 4x8x3" blocks.

How did you do that ?  Band saw?

• Like 1

Achto
11 minutes ago, cpete1 said:

How did you do that ?  Band saw?

Yes sir, about a 20min wait to cut all the way through.

• Like 1

WHX??

Out freaking standing Dan! :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Joshn569

Thumbs up! Looking good 👍 nice job on those weights

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

PeacemakerJack

:text-coolphotos:That is gonna be one beauty of a plow rig!  Thanks for the tutorial on the machine work as well.  :text-goodpost:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
5 hours ago, PeacemakerJack said:

:text-coolphotos:That is gonna be one beauty of a plow rig!  Thanks for the tutorial on the machine work as well.  :text-goodpost:

:text-yeahthat:

Awesome work sir!

• Thanks 1

Pullstart
On ‎3‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 8:49 PM, Achto said:

With the transmission out of the picture I just moved on to assembling a few other things. Not quite looking like a tractor but it is heading in the right direction.

IMG_20180311_174035869-min.jpg.82c94b6a4ffd3910de9ed0be5d64afdc.jpg

Probably a silly question, but how do you assemble painted bolts and washers without marring them up?  Not quite looking like a tractor?  This looks like you could win first place in a show! :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Achto
1 hour ago, pullstart said:

Probably a silly question, but how do you assemble painted bolts and washers without marring them up?

2 light coats of paint maximum when you paint the bolts / nuts, if the paint is too thick it will chip. Don't let the socket touch the washer. Another thing that helps is a 6 point flank drive socket. These used to be a Snap-On exclusive but other companies have picked up on it too. I learned to use flank drives when I was wrenching on Harleys, (heaven for bid you chip a chrome on nut some guys bike :-o).  If all this fails, well then you just touch them up with a brush after they're tight.

Thanks for the complement on the appearance. Looking forward to putting this ole girl to work soon.

Edited by Achto
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

WHX??

:text-yeahthat: Yah unruly bikers have been known to kill for less! :huh:

I cover the bolt/washer with a light clean shop rag.

• Like 4

ebinmaine

A couple decades ago I knew a fellow who was doing a body off restoration on a early 60s Vette. I seem to remember hard plastic inserts that would be put into a 6 point socket of the next size up from what you actually needed. Never tried to use them myself but it seemed like a decent idea for low to medium torque situations.

I'll have to remember that shop rag trick.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

Chris G

Looking really good so far

• Thanks 1