saminmn

341 kohler acr

saminmn

Will a 341 kohler with acr show any compression? mine shows about 10-12 psi. I failed to say its not running. only by starter

Edited by saminmn

KC9KAS

@saminmn I think the engine needs to turn around 600 RPM's before the ACR closes and has "full" compression.

• Like 3

520hC-120

:text-yeahthat:

pfrederi

Leak down tests are a better indicator of engine health

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

953 nut

Even with a properly functioning ACR you should expect to see 50 to 70 PSI of compression with the choke and throttle wide open. I have never done this, but have heard that if you rotate the engine in the opposite direction from the running rotation it will provide an accurate compression reading because the ACR will not kick in.

hondagod64

Leak down test is the best way to test clyinder and valve condition

Steve_O

Will the ACR function if you spin the crank backwards?

Edited by Steve_O
Spelling

953 nut

9 minutes ago, Steve_O said:

Will the ACR function if you spin the crack backwards?

No it is activated by cyntrifical force in one direction.

Kohler ACR.docx

Steve_O

So could you check compression by spinning flywheel backwards?

prondzy
On 1/18/2018 at 6:08 PM, 953 nut said:

Even with a properly functioning ACR you should expect to see 50 to 70 PSI of compression with the choke and throttle wide open. I have never done this, but have heard that if you rotate the engine in the opposite direction from the running rotation it will provide an accurate compression reading because the ACR will not kick in.

If you run a kohler backwards fast enough to do a compression check you will starve the crank journal of oil, there is a hole in the bottom of the rod cap for this reason when run in the proper direction.

I would not try this on my worst enemies engine let alone my own. 

Do a leak down test if you need to.

Can i ask why are you checking this?

Edited by prondzy
  • Confused 1

953 nut

It only takes a few revaluations to do a compression test, I wasn't advocating a long term run backwards. He has a compression tester and I was letting him know how to get a good reading.

Everyone is telling @saminmn do do a leak down test but none of you have had the courtesy to let him know how to do it.

Engine Leakdown Tester Build Your Own.pdf

saminmn

OK here is the deal. 16hp 20 over kohler. It was smoking and  burning oil (so on the cheap ) I put in 20 over rings and honed the cly wall.Back together it would not fire .static timed it and cleaned the carb no fire ,checked the comp 10-12 psi . Ill make a leak down tester ,well see what happens. Thanks for all help , Ill keep you posted.

• Thanks 1

Shynon

Does it have spark and fuel, I don't think a compression test will make it run. When you disassembled and put rings in it did you line up the marks on the crank and cam?

saminmn

Shynon. I only removed the rod and piston and deglazed the clyinder wall,so timing marks should be ok right? On my way to buy some parts to make a leakdown tester.

richmondred01

Did you mic the inside of the middle of the cylinder? Even though it’s 20 over it could have been done years ago and it’s worn. Also I may have not been done right. 

• Like 1