seven

Engine block heater question

seven

Any good ideas what's a good brand of heater to make starting easier when it's minus 10 degrees out . I happen to have a c-160 ?

WHX??

Check this thread out Seven

seven

Seriously do they make a heater to go down in the oil pan inside. 

GlenPettit

Caution on dip-stick heaters -- all the automotive heated dip-sticks require 3-4" of oil to keep their elements from burning out,  I believe Kohler engines only have 2" or less of oil depth.

I use a 25 watt bulb between the block and battery, and then several layers of tarps & old blankets to cover my tractor  (cord plugs into a $12 thermostatic controller, "on at 32º, off at 45º F ", sold at TSC).

Edited by GlenPettit
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

seven

Yep I agree and I'm thinking even if you got a dipstick heater to work it might add condensation to the crankcase?

classicdmax

I like that bulb/thermostat/blanket idea. I may steel a page out of your book. Thanks for posting

any more ideas out there?

daveoman1966

Some pet stores sell an electric blanket for pets.  It is small, but big enough to drape over the engine to keep it warm.  

TSC maybe, or even Ebay may sell them....try Amazon too.  

maxiblue

I have a magnetic one,I put it on the oil pan let it sit for 10 - 15 minuets then start the tractor. Its about 6 inches X 4 inches with a plastic handle on it  

GlenPettit

Heat rises, take advantage of that.   A cover or blanket will help trap and contain that heat, only takes a little heat, to raise the inside temperature to closer to 32º.  Keeping the oil slightly warm, 32º, AND the battery slightly warm too helps starting a lot.

We will be having some really nice Red custom Wheel Horse Covers with the name and logo printed on them in White in about 8-10 weeks. These UV and outdoor rainproof covers will have a dense silver lining inside (double layer) that will act as an insulator & a nice one-piece high-quality cover, -- elastic bottom, 100% coverage, vented !    Cost:  about $50 (+ shipping).

Will have them at the big PA show (save the $20 mailing cost), photo of the carrying bags below, . . . will post photos & details when they arrive.

Screen Shot 2018-01-14 at 11.29.15 PM copy.png

(to see size, click this >  Scan copy 2.pdf )

Very proud of these Covers, quality and custom fit will be excellent, . . . fit is designed for C-series and 300 size tractors.

Edited by GlenPettit
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

classicdmax

What’s the cost of cover?

Sarge

I'd prefer this type - used these for a lot of years on hi-po engines running thicker oils.

http://katsblockheater.com/oil-pan-heaters/engine-oil-pad-heater

10W30 per Kohler's recommendation should be your starting point below 32*F for most all of their engines, just fyi. 30W oil doesn't move very easily below that temperature - you can seriously starve the rod and rings until the oil gets hot enough to flow/splash.

Sarge

• Like 1