Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

WheelHorse520H
3 hours ago, Gregor said:

Disaster narrowly avoided. :oops:

At least it was avoided, I’m glad that you found that out before problems really started.

4 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Wheel Horse makes it. Kohler shakes it.

We've all read that before and understand how much some of these tractors vibrate.

Good point, they do work and work involves motion.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, WheelHorse520H said:

work involves motion.

Ours get a little bit of extra that many others don't. When I'm pulling a loaded trailer of wood up out of the forest there are quite a few spots where there's more flex/twist to the front suspension or frame than I like.

I built an extra fair bit of travel into Colossus' front suspension to help avoid this.

• Like 3

8ntruck
6 hours ago, WheelHorse520H said:

Good thing you found that before the engine fell off. Then you’d really have a problem. I recommend using the split lock washers as well as regular washers to prevent this from reoccurring. Just my :twocents-twocents:

That's the plan.  Going to add a lock nut, too.

• Like 1

rjg854

I just might have one ;)

Stormin

Changed the oil in the C-125. Also in the Sears GT16. Neither have hour meters, nor do the C-81 and Black Horse. But they have done very little and the oil is still clean.

For future use I've put up a clip board. I'll log the hours for each machine after each oil change.

• Like 3

Gregor
21 hours ago, squonk said:

Rehabbed 2 Delco gennys and tested them on the test stand.

I had to take mine to a shop about 40 miles away. They repaired it for $86 if I remember right. Can you do your own for less?

• Like 1

squonk
20 minutes ago, Gregor said:

I had to take mine to a shop about 40 miles away. They repaired it for $86 if I remember right. Can you do your own for less?

Mine were working but the bearings were shot. Replaced them , degunked the innards sanded the commutators.

• Like 7

WheelPuke

I mowed with the 414-8 then aired it off clean. After a bit of thought I started to do the deck treatment @peter lena does. I was going to do the deck, service and store it. From there my plan is to clean the tractor and service it then outfit it for winter after making some quick repairs. I hadn’t cleaned the deck since the start of the season other than blowing off the build up I could see through the chute or rust holes. It was a whopping mess. Several hours later and a cleaning with some kerosine I have to still finish the underside of the deck. From there I’ll need to do some repairs. I noticed a few issues with the deck. Missing bolts, loose bolts, and a bent rod and a heavily worn belt. After I cleaned the outside with kerosine I noticed it was cracked where the rear mounting hardware is bolted to the deck pan. I still have to do the oil treatment to the paint. For now though I’m calling it a day. 

14E86740-A378-4AD4-AF15-D4CB2D7ECE67.jpeg

D900BCAC-7EB7-4613-B631-0AD3F3C4DD19.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Excellent 2

8ntruck

I tinkered with the C-195 today.  Letting the gas tank soak with vinegar, agitating the nuts and bolts inside.  Made a test run on the engine through the new fuel pump temporarily drawing fuel from a 5 gallon gas can sitting next to the tractor.  All appears to be OK..

After I get the tank cleaned, the seat and access panels back on the tractor, it will be ready for a test drive.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3

SylvanLakeWH

Used my C 105 to move the T@B Teardrop camper into "Marketing Position" on the driveway for a weekend of showing it to prospective buyers...

Wish me luck!

Sorry - No pics or other info - wouldn't want moderator troubles...:ph34r:

Saturday Update… SOLD!!!

:dance:

Edited by SylvanLakeWH
  • Like 4
  • Excellent 3

Jeff-C175

Welded a piece of steel on the bottom of the plow blade (it was all worn down by the p.o. finally now getting around to fixing it up!) and installed a piece of 3/4" rubber from "RubberCal" so I don't tear up my new asphalt.

image.png.e04d57b6b73d62db36b9dbc11eb14b95.png     image.png.5859c65b86fe9b587a782d949f1326e9.png 

I didn't paint the whole front of it, Just the part that was 'scarred' by the repair work.  That piece of steel on the bottom is 1/8" thick.

The p.o. kept using it after the wear edge was ground to nothing, and kept using it until the blade itself was worn to the bolt holes.

I also started disassembling the old snow thrower that was donated generously by Dennis @DCwom in preparation for hopefully using this winter.

image.png.07508166251c62479ffa75174cf4fecb.png

image.png.3506114b15bfc4e9f136733966f4539f.png

It's got a few 'battle wounds' but nothing a little welding, hammering, and Regal Red won't cure.  Putting together a shopping list of parts I need.

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 2

peter lena

@WheelPuke , good for you ! glad to see you getting after it , when I  started getting after my decks , it was a catch up and a refresh to save them , once you scrape / clean and  lubricate and get that hot sun dry out , you can really see how you have stopped the grunge / rot cycle. from then on its maintaining that state . just did a quick deck drop ,on one , little to no light cleaning , oil soak , insuring every area , especially spindle to deck mount area ,  my decks are all stained black , from the oil soaking , in the sun , thats what you want . light blade filing , chassis grease every lift frame movement point , spindle grease , lucas xtra heavy , anti sling, 560 temp rating , polyurea rated , no bearing failures , noise. this is something i regularly do to all my decks , they work with a very simple ease , its the detailing , on ever point that picks up a fault , looking at one on your ,bottom side picture , has curves in it , leave it at that , from feed back, good job , pete    

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Tuneup

There is COVID in the house so the old lawn is becoming a deep mess. Got tired of staring at it yesterday so attacked it with the 42SD. The engine had no problem - those Onans - but even with the auto creeping it wasn't cutting well. I had to get 'Old Reliable' Snapper 28" out to vacuum all the hay. Took too much out of me so I'll get to the rest of it with the old RD on the '77 120 rat and the hay can stay. In other news, I've got to get that new starter into the old Ranger. Hate to miss this weather. Just stay away from me ;-)

• Sad 4

WheelPuke
5 hours ago, peter lena said:

@WheelPuke , good for you ! glad to see you getting after it , when I  started getting after my decks , it was a catch up and a refresh to save them , once you scrape / clean and  lubricate and get that hot sun dry out , you can really see how you have stopped the grunge / rot cycle. from then on its maintaining that state . just did a quick deck drop ,on one , little to no light cleaning , oil soak , insuring every area , especially spindle to deck mount area ,  my decks are all stained black , from the oil soaking , in the sun , thats what you want . light blade filing , chassis grease every lift frame movement point , spindle grease , lucas xtra heavy , anti sling, 560 temp rating , polyurea rated , no bearing failures , noise. this is something i regularly do to all my decks , they work with a very simple ease , its the detailing , on ever point that picks up a fault , looking at one on your ,bottom side picture , has curves in it , leave it at that , from feed back, good job , pete    

During the preliminary under side cleaning I found two loose bolts on a spindle. I’m hoping that’s not an indication of a bearing failure. I’ve got the chassis grease at the ready, I’ll have to pick up a case of the chain and cable lube, other oil, and spindle grease. Otherwise I was going to try a penetrating oil if I can’t find the specific oils you are using. I defiantly need to get the transmission guild and boot changed and paint treated with some oil before this machine hits the snow. I’ve got some neglect to catch up on this deck too. I’m guilty of adding some myself in the years it’s been mine out of ignorance.

• Like 2

peter lena

@WheelPuke could be just loose bolts to mower shell , they thread into the bearing spindle , if you can't  find the specific  spray oils , you might try  kroil  oil spray , and don't ,spare it . you have to start somewhere ,  overhead door , is a good spot to look for  lubriplate  aerosol chain and cable sprays . you might try the transmission first , its a pretty easy service , and it would give you the insight and confidence to do a more thorough deck service .  good luck with it , pete

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

peter lena

WheelPuke

@peter lena Thanks! The transmission will be easy work. I’m undecided if I need to flush it though. I haven’t been in a hurry since I keep it in a barn. As for the deck that will a new adventure. Luckily I have a deck manual on hand. 

• Like 2

peter lena

@WheelPuke , you should flush it out , its easy and only takes 2 qts of 80-90 to refill it , drain plug on the bottom corner of trans , its an allen plug screw in , probably dirt filled , dig it out . lift the front end to increase the drainage , new shift boot . don,t make me come over there and show you how to do it , thats a joke , pete

• Haha 3

WheelPuke

Gotcha, that shouldn’t take me very long to get done once I I have to boot. I’ll be ordering it today. Should I fail in that I’ll do the right thing and wear the “stupid” helmet. Haha. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

AMC RULES

:blink: 

I know mine were.

Both of them.

• Like 1

peter lena

@WheelPuke another detail , cut off shift boot with a razor blade , reinstall the  new one , using dielectric grease on the shift rod , makes it slide on very easy . pete

• Thanks 1

peter lena

@WheelPuke another detail , cut off shift boot with a razor blade , reinstall the  new one , using dielectric grease on the shift rod , makes it slide on very easy . pete

• Thanks 1