Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

Pullstart

@ZXT congrats on the new digs!

ZXT
16 hours ago, peter lena said:

@ZXT , just curious ,did you use low range /  hi gear for that cutting ? getting the most efficient pto drive speed and deck speed for that field ?  have  r/d  decks on  my 3 horses , , always get good cut , if your deck is clean and your blades are sharp it always looks good . pete 

Tractor is a hydro with a 42” SD deck. I had it pretty much wide open and crept slowly most of the time. 

The tractor mows great when it’s not 3’ tall - just a bit too much for it as I couldn’t keep it from clogging the discharge.

14 hours ago, pullstart said:

@ZXT congrats on the new digs!

Thanks! Place needs a bit of work but it’ll get there.. Plus it has a shop (a small one), and I’ve never had that luxury before now.

Edited by ZXT
  • Like 5

TonyToro
59 minutes ago, ZXT said:

Tractor is a hydro with a 42” SD deck. I had it pretty much wide open and crept slowly most of the time. 

The tractor mows great when it’s 3’ tall - just a bit too much for it as I couldn’t keep it from clogging the discharge.

Thanks! Place needs a bit of work but it’ll get there.. Plus it has a shop (a small one), and I’ve never had that luxury before now.

Congratulations on the new house! A shop is a huge benefit. Lots of working on Wheelhorses in your future.:wh:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

peter lena

@zxt,  hydro obviously eliminates the , hi  /  low issue , that side discharge is  restricting / confining  , but then you are dealing with overwhelming intake  / discharge. my decks are  r / d  , regularly do my lawn areas , never an issue . you could be better with a flail type cutter . they are made for that type of field cutting , good luck with your work . pete

• Like 1

Handy Don
On 8/27/2021 at 9:32 PM, adsm08 said:

Also, grass is one of only two things I am allergic to, so not having it flying all over is a plus for me.

Last year I tried the recommendation from someone on this forum and added a flap (4" vinyl cove kick) to the back of our 42". Now even less stuff flying around.

On 8/28/2021 at 12:14 AM, ZXT said:

when the grass is 3' tall

As you've discovered, the WH decks can mow 3' grass but these belly mowers were intended to be finish mowers, not brush hogs, so they aren't real efficient in that really tall stuff. We've done it with our 42" RD and had to remove the deck to untangle stuff wrapped around the spindles and dragging the blades.

• Like 1

JoeM
On 8/27/2021 at 5:38 PM, AMC RULES said:

:snooty:  I discovered more proof here today..

Man you got to that LSE just in time. :handgestures-thumbup:

• Like 1

slufoot733

pullstart, the reason I couldn't get it to fire with the spray was that I installed the fuel pump BACKWARD ! :blink:

Yup, it was pumping air back into the tank instead of fuel into the carb. The video is just after I corrected that issue and I had to crank it a bit to get the fuel all the way forward to fill the bowl. Once there was fuel, well, you saw the result. Dumb mistake, I know better but still plumbed it backward. 

After this session it sat for two days in my shed. I then hit the key and it fired up quicker than ever before. I am very pleased with the results of my rebuild. It pays to ask questions of those who know and to read the directions thoroughly. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

ZXT
15 hours ago, peter lena said:

@zxt,  hydro obviously eliminates the , hi  /  low issue , that side discharge is  restricting / confining  , but then you are dealing with overwhelming intake  / discharge. my decks are  r / d  , regularly do my lawn areas , never an issue . you could be better with a flail type cutter . they are made for that type of field cutting , good luck with your work . pete

I never intend for the grass to ever get tall again - it only grew this tall due to negligence on the sellers part during the 2 month long closing period. 

8 hours ago, Handy Don said:

Last year I tried the recommendation from someone on this forum and added a flap (4" vinyl cove kick) to the back of our 42". Now even less stuff flying around.

As you've discovered, the WH decks can mow 3' grass but these belly mowers were intended to be finish mowers, not brush hogs, so they aren't real efficient in that really tall stuff. We've done it with our 42" RD and had to remove the deck to untangle stuff wrapped around the spindles and dragging the blades.

Yes, definitely not what it was made for - but it's what I had. It was a one time thing, so it shouldn't be an issue in the future. 

If I'd have had belts on hand for my Yazoo Master Mower I would've used that.

• Like 1

953 nut
1 hour ago, Lane Ranger said:

So all in all a good horsin around day!

:confusion-waiting:           I'm exhausted just thinking of all you accomplished today.            :ychain:

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

bigcreek

Now it’s was long time to replace belts and blades. Of course in the time I waited for the belt Order to get here it rained twice and grass was now deeper than normal. So those new blades got a work out 

8BA881FF-ED2F-4D34-98A7-EEC4C7596141.jpeg

4C3FB3C6-6440-4256-A72A-9E1D23B089CB.jpeg

5B1BE934-E330-42EE-9BCF-839EA85E3266.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 4

squonk

Now all you need is a yard to go with it! :teasing-poke::teasing-poke::teasing-poke::lol:

• Haha 4

D_Mac

59 minutes ago, squonk said:

Now all you need is a yard to go with it! :teasing-poke::teasing-poke::teasing-poke::lol:

I would be happy with less of a yard. Funny how much I hate yard work but LOVE tractors.

• Like 2

WheelHorse520H

Nice deck there @D_Mac cool color choice. @bigcreek looks like you belt might be missing something!:teasing-poke::hide:

• Thanks 1

WheelPuke

I haven’t made a whole lot of progress lately on my WH. Today I decided to get to the bottom of the parking brake light issue I had on my 414-8. It was constantly on even with the parking brake disengaged. Engagement of the parking brake did not change the status of the dash light. Upon testing the switch’s function by using a screw driver to push the switch lever the switch would actuate and the light would indicate parking brake “off”. The switch lever looked bent even while looking through the shifter dash. I removed the switch from the tractor and noticed the lever was indeed bent. With careful and an even steady force I bent the switch lever back and even biased it toward the parking brake lever slightly. Returning all to its assembled position after testing the switch’s “repair” the parking brake light indicates as it should now along with all the other dash lights. Then I cleaned the WH 414-8 and the JD LX176 off from their last mow with compressed air. Yesterday I acquired a blade, bracket, tire, chains, rear wheel weights, and a cab for the 414-8 from a fellow member. He is a wealth of knowledge and was beyond helpful in educating me on Wheel Horse. As a result of what he taught me I came to find my tractor was a 1989 not a 1988 as I once thought. Next I’ll be making a shopping list of WH parts to finish off the remaining issues with the 414-8. A slow WH day here. 

Edited by WheelPuke
  • Like 6
  • Excellent 1

AMC RULES

:greetings-clapyellow:  Way to go Puke!

• Thanks 1

8ntruck

The electric fuel pump I ordered for my C 195 showed up on Monday.  Took a little time to get it mounted.  I don't like the fittings I used on the pump.  I'll clean that up later, it should work the way it is now.

Also went through the carb.  Had a slug of carbogies in it.  

Checking the engine mounting bolts, I discovered that 2 were missing and the other 2 were loose.  Decided to replace all of the mounting bolts, as one of the loose bolts was worn from rattling around.

• Like 3

WheelHorse520H
7 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

Checking the engine mounting bolts, I discovered that 2 were missing and the other 2 were loose.  Decided to replace all of the mounting bolts, as one of the loose bolts was worn from rattling around.

Good thing you found that before the engine fell off. Then you’d really have a problem. I recommend using the split lock washers as well as regular washers to prevent this from reoccurring. Just my :twocents-twocents:

• Like 1

ebinmaine
9 minutes ago, WheelHorse520H said:

Good thing you found that before the engine fell off. Then you’d really have a problem. I recommend using the split lock washers as well as regular washers to prevent this from reoccurring. Just my :twocents-twocents:

Wheel Horse makes it. Kohler shakes it.

We've all read that before and understand how much some of these tractors vibrate.

For that reason, and also because of our rough terrain here in the yard I switched over a few years ago to using Nyloc nuts on nearly every bolt we install on these tractors.

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1

Gregor

This makes me think of a not so funny story. I took 12 tractors to our local Antique Show Days this past Saturday. The tractor "organizer" announced there would be a tractor parade at 1 PM. He asked if I wanted to run some tractors. So myself, a friend, my son, and grandson all drove a tractor in the parade. ( about 1 1/2 miles) This is the tractor my grandson drove. (not a Wheel Horse I know, but at least it's red)

363282743_20210408_173844(2).thumb.jpg.2cdc73c9b2275d7756f5ffbd544d853d.jpg

After the show I brought all the tractors home and parked them all in the garage. Sitting here Sunday morning, drinking my coffee, just kind-a looking over the tractors. The right front wheel on the Massey didn't look quite right. :confusion-confused: I investigated. 2 of the socket head cap screws were gone. 1 was almost out, the 4th was still tight. :ranting:  If this had fallen off on my grandson, he would have bawled right then and there, even though it wasn't his fault in any way. The bolts in the wheels now are 1/2" longer, with blue locktite, and nylok nuts on the back side of the hub. I have read that you have to constantly check the bolts and nuts holding on aluminum rims. I guess I forgot the word constantly. Disaster narrowly avoided. :oops:

• Like 7

lynnmor
1 hour ago, Gregor said:

2 of the socket head cap screws were gone. 1 was almost out, the 4th was still tight.  The bolts in the wheels now are 1/2" longer, with blue locktite, and nylok nuts on the back side of the hub. I have read that you have to constantly check the bolts and nuts holding on aluminum rims. I guess I forgot the word constantly. Disaster narrowly avoided. :oops:

My thought is that the SHCS have too little contact with the aluminum.  Cone shaped heads or flange bolts might be better.  You will never see the small heads used on automobiles.

• Like 1