Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

8ntruck

Poked around on the new Black Hood arrival a bit today.  Replaced the air filter, added a little Marvel Mystery Oil to the gas.  It runs and drives, but is not ready to go to work.  The to do list on it is getting longer.

Since it smokes a little on start up, I was thinking maybe the rings might be struck - especially since it has not run for almost two decades.  I pulled the plugs and put a little MMO in each cylinder, then rolled the engine over a few times.  I'll let that set over night.  

I went to add some MMO to the oil, but found the oil level to be over filled per the dip stick.  I drained about a cup and a half out to bring it to the full mark.  Put about an ounce of MMO in the crankcase.  This makes me wonder if the fuel pump is adding gas to the oil...

The plan tomorrow is to chase around the electrical system to get it closer to working as it should.  Will probably check the fuel pump, too.

Got the laptop back today.  I'll load pictures and start a new thread on this beast.

Anybody out there build a new wire harness for their Horse?  I'be found a source for wire, and maybe connectors - assuming Wheel Horse used Packard connectors.

Oh, for our records, here is the model and serial number for the new to me horse: Model  01-19KE01 - 24003,  serial 2091.

Edited by 8ntruck
  • Like 5
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
6 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

Anybody out there build a new wire harness for their Horse?

I've rewired at least a half dozen of ours. 

I use full copper wire that I bought as a 50 foot roll of 7 conductor trailer wiring 14 guage. 

I just recently picked up a few proper connectors. Until now I've been using standard 1/4" blade type. 

I Always put a piece of heat shrink tubing at the ends. 

• Like 1

Gregor
6 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

Anybody out there build a new wire harness for their Horse? 

I make new wiring harnesses for all my tractors. 14 ga. wire, at a minimum. I recently found these on Amazon, allowing me to reuse the plastic plugs. They fit perfectly. They do require an open barrel style wire crimper. I forgot to mention in line fuses. I am a BIG fan of lots of fuses.

751462692_Screenshot2021-08-24at04-00-32Baomain14inch(63mm)FemaleSpadeQuickSpliceCrimpTerminalsCrimpConnectorNonIn....png.8983c77482e8224f25f80f0f802be956.png

Edited by Gregor
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 2

Andy N.
9 hours ago, 953 nut said:

Oh I have a few others, they just weren't ready to mow and the grass was out of control. Tire change seemed like a quicker option. I this is my 42" SD deck. I have a 48" that needs some repair. I think the ags will work with the 48" deck. 

And I really like the look of them too.

• Like 2

JoeM

Fabbed up a deflector / coupler protector on the FEL. Made it a tight hinge so it would stay up when coupling the plow hoses. Has a peg leg for support and just clears the tilt frame. 

All this so it will now not snow and all the work for not! :handgestures-fingerscrossed:

The neighbor stopped by and ask what I am working on.......now picture this......it is 90 out plus humid, told him snow plow mounting, he kind of looked outside then back at me with the big eyes!

755288985_AuxHydTakeOffandGuard3.jpg.3b2ac72b5a7a23d2e3c05aeb5a7a8065.jpg1062284142_AuxHydTakeOffandGuard2.jpg.dce1a2387ccc60cb06ef683946b8221d.jpg308864193_AuxHydTakeOffandGuard1.jpg.1c8c35b35807ac0c281f1efb9325b6cc.jpg

• Excellent 2
  • Haha 2

peter lena

@Tuneup nice looking deck shell there, just an idea, if you are going to rebuild those spindles , use a hi temp , polyurea ,anti sling grease with a 560 deg , flash point , lucas  xtra , heavy duty , walmart  $ 5 , big tube. done that on all my decks , no noisy, whining bearings , no failures , also did the matching bearings in the pto mule drive. thinking if you are that deep in the deck , why not upgrade the repair and make it last ? just my own experience , do what ever you want to do . also rustproof my decks . pete   

• Like 1

WheelHorse520H
8 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

found the oil level to be over filled per the dip stick.  I drained about a cup and a half out to bring it to the full mark.

Well, that sure would explain the smoky start up. Hope you get it all worked out soon.

• Like 2

953 nut
9 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

found the oil level to be over filled per the dip stick.  I drained about a cup and a half out to bring it to the full mark. 

Could be a bad fuel pump leaking into the oil, check it out as this could dilute your oil.

9 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

Anybody out there build a new wire harness for their Horse?  I'be found a source for wire, and maybe connectors - assuming Wheel Horse used Packard connectors

The connectors @Gregor showed are Delphi Packard 56 series connectors and can be bought at any good auto parts store.

• Like 4

19richie66

Sorry to hear that @D_Mac. Tractors are good therapy. :handgestures-thumbupright: Wish you the best my friend.

• Thanks 1
  • Heart 1

pfrederi
2 hours ago, 19richie66 said:

Sorry to hear that @D_Mac. Tractors are good therapy. :handgestures-thumbupright: Wish you the best my friend.

:text-yeahthat:

Good Luck!!!

• Thanks 1
  • Heart 1

Jennifer
5 hours ago, D_Mac said:

I took all my running and driving tractors out for a little drive today. I got some bad news on my yearly cancer check last week that may or may not put me back in the hospitol again. I need some more test until I know for sure. Beautiful day for a ride !! The more I think about my Horses the less I think about cancer.

20210824_113308.jpg

Will be praying for you!  

• Thanks 1
  • Heart 3

SylvanLakeWH

Thoughts and prayers @D_Mac

• Thanks 1
  • Heart 1

953 nut
7 hours ago, D_Mac said:

need some more test until I know for sure.

I pray that your test results will be good and you can remain in good health,

• Thanks 1
  • Heart 1

WheelHorse520H

@D_Mac, I am very sorry to read that, I hope the results show that you are healthy.

Best wishes,

Andrew

• Thanks 1
  • Heart 1

TonyToro
8 hours ago, D_Mac said:

I took all my running and driving tractors out for a little drive today. I got some bad news on my yearly cancer check last week that may or may not put me back in the hospitol again. I need some more test until I know for sure. Beautiful day for a ride !! The more I think about my Horses the less I think about cancer.

@D_MacNope I don’t like the news. Positive thinking and keep the tires rolling.

Edited by TonyToro
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart 1

Tuneup
14 hours ago, peter lena said:

@Tuneup nice looking deck shell there, just an idea, if you are going to rebuild those spindles , use a hi temp , polyurea ,anti sling grease with a 560 deg , flash point , lucas  xtra , heavy duty , walmart  $ 5 , big tube. done that on all my decks , no noisy, whining bearings , no failures , also did the matching bearings in the pto mule drive. thinking if you are that deep in the deck , why not upgrade the repair and make it last ? just my own experience , do what ever you want to do . also rustproof my decks . pete   

Pete - way ahead of you and putting your recommendation to the test. They're full o fthat green snot. Strangest consistency of a grease I've ever seen. This assembly may stall if the bushing area needs the bronze. Never done that so it will be a learning experience - just normal tools. We'll see when Jacks gets them to me. Thanks!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Pullstart

@slufoot733 nice work on the project!  I wonder why you couldn’t get fire with the spray, but eventually with fuel?  I prefer to use the palm of my hand to completely cover a carb opening to pull an extreme amount of vacuum on the fuel system instead of spraying juice.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

ebinmaine
5 minutes ago, Oldskool said:

a new friend for the other horses to play with

Appropriate inexpensive herd expansion is always a positive. 

• Thanks 1

adsm08

Not me, and not a Horse, but a co-worker recently acquired a Ford LGT-14H. Has the 14 HP Kohler Magnum twin cylinder. He pulled the engine out to clean and paint, and him and his brother got it fired up on the bench last night. Engine ran, vibrated, walked, brother has a broken wrist.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

OutdoorEnvy
23 minutes ago, adsm08 said:

Not me, and not a Horse, but a co-worker recently acquired a Ford LGT-14H. Has the 14 HP Kohler Magnum twin cylinder. He pulled the engine out to clean and paint, and him and his brother got it fired up on the bench last night. Engine ran, vibrated, walked, brother has a broken wrist.

That's too bad...hopefully they learn from it and he heals up well...the great philosopher Forrest Gump had a saying that applied to these kind of events...

8ntruck

:text-yeahthat: intestering comment on the SD vs RD deck.  I've got one of each and agree that the SD gives a better cut, but the RD really works well with a tow behind sweeper.  I like the RD deck because it does not seem to throw objects as far as the SD deck. 

The RD deck is narrower too.  Gets into smaller places and cuts closely on both sides.

• Like 4
  • Excellent 2