Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

Snoopy11
12 hours ago, balconio said:

Lol ain't this the truth. It's super satisfying to keep a decades old machine in good working order and then use it! Because they're so simple to work on keeping them in shape is pretty doable with common tools and common sense (and this forum of course).

I really appreciate the straightforward design and engineering that went into these machines, and the honest hard-working materials they're made of. I don't think there's much plastic at all on mine, as opposed to my neighbor's brand new Cub which is very nice looking but I doubt it will be in service 35 years and 1600 engine hours from now... That's why I bought 2 wheel horses for less than the price of one big box special when I moved to this property.

Yeah, the only thing I don't like about the L-157 is that ...to me... it was underpowered...

Don

Snoopy11
1 hour ago, OutdoorEnvy said:

Wouldn't you know it...I was able to pickup a plow locally here in Oklahoma...needs some surface rust cleaned off and paint but it'll get the job done...

353402375_pic36.jpg.7de3b85e2da54915070a1824335bce06.jpg

Better buy some flap disks for your grinder!!!

Don

• Like 2

Dan.gerous

I brought a 12v fuel pump, once it's delivered will have to figure out how to get it wired up.

Have no running horses at the moment!!

• Sad 3

tom2p
3 hours ago, OutdoorEnvy said:

Wouldn't you know it...I was able to pickup a plow locally here in Oklahoma...needs some surface rust cleaned off and paint but it'll get the job done...

353402375_pic36.jpg.7de3b85e2da54915070a1824335bce06.jpg

nice find !

decades ago - before the internet and red square and Craigslist etc - searched and searched for a plow for our 704 ... nuthin ... 

if someone had one - they were not parting with it

same with the mower deck 

• Like 2

OutdoorEnvy

Well everything bolted up nice as expected and it functions perfect!  It desperately needs paint...blends into this Oklahoma red dirt a little too well at the moment... it'll give me something to do between now and winter... I like knowing it's in the arsenal though as it just gives the 312 more versatility for fun projects

797987720_pic37.jpg.4eaa597b8eecb5a7977bedd6ffaa23c3.jpg   

• Like 2
  • Excellent 4

pfrederi
1 hour ago, Dan.gerous said:

I brought a 12v fuel pump, once it's delivered will have to figure out how to get it wired up.

Have no running horses at the moment!!

I wire mine to the ACC terminal. Turn her on wait a few seconds then turn to start.  (Pump will not run while cranking but that isn't necessary)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dan.gerous
2 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

I wire mine to the ACC terminal. Turn her on wait a few seconds then turn to start.  (Pump will not run while cranking but that isn't necessary)

It has to be better than cranking for ages before fuel comes through.

Thanks for the info, hopefully it will only take a few minutes as I need one of my horses back!

• Like 1

Gregor
4 minutes ago, Dan.gerous said:

It has to be better than cranking for ages before fuel comes through.

Don't forget the fuse.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dan.gerous
1 minute ago, Gregor said:

Don't forget the fuse.

I better get something ordered, any suggestions?

• Like 1

Gregor
2 minutes ago, Dan.gerous said:

You can get an in-line fuse holder at any auto parts store, or farm/home store. I think 15 amp would be enough, but that's not exactly my area of expertise.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Dan.gerous

You can get an in-line fuse holder at any auto parts store, or farm/home store. I think 15 amp would be enough, but that's not exactly my area of expertise.

Yeah I rapidly get out of my depth when electricity is involved. Will have a look online and see what's available, hardly ever go into town when home, as too busy to waste the couple of hours it would take.

• Like 1

Dan.gerous
7 minutes ago, Gregor said:

Fuses ordered, thanks for the help, I would never have thought to put a fuse in.

• Like 1

Gregor
23 minutes ago, Dan.gerous said:

Fuses ordered, thanks for the help, I would never have thought to put a fuse in.

May not be necessary, but can't hurt. I tend to put a fuse on everything. When I remember.

• Like 3

Tuneup

Chances are the wire coming out of that pump is 16 ga - thin stuff. It'll melt before it blows a 15 amp fuse which is a 14 ga match. Best measuring the amp pull when it starts and add a fuse a little larger. You might end up with a 7.5 or so.

• Like 2

adsm08
1 hour ago, Gregor said:

Don't forget the fuse.

1 hour ago, Dan.gerous said:

1 hour ago, Gregor said:

The box the pump comes in should have instructions that should include a recommendation for a fuse spec.

Personally, when building anything with a fused circuit my first stop is the U-Pull. Look for almost any Ford built between 1993 and 2005 with cruise control. Almost all of them should have an electrical plug on the end of the brake master cylinder, with a goofy looking jumper harness between the master and the vehicle's harness. Grab that jumper. Looks like this, some have two humps, all should have the blue labels:

Re-Examine Cruise Control Recall - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Cut the tape off ( I use a seam ripper). When opened up and properly disassembled the unit contains a matched set a 2-pin connectors (The two ends of the jumper plug into each other), about 3 feet total of wire (it's all wound up in there, when unspooled the unit is almost 18 inches long) about 6 inches of convolute tube, and one or two fuse holders (depends on version). Most yards will sell this piece for about $2. A dealership will sell one new for about $20, which for all that is still not bad. One pigtail kit with one of those connectors retails for $25.

The fuses in them are only 2 amp, but I regularly build circuits with these and fuse them at 15-20 amps and have yet to have one burst into flames.

• Like 3

Gregor
21 minutes ago, Tuneup said:

Chances are the wire coming out of that pump is 16 ga - thin stuff. It'll melt before it blows a 15 amp fuse which is a 14 ga match. Best measuring the amp pull when it starts and add a fuse a little larger. You might end up with a 7.5 or so.

Ya see, ! I told you it wasn't my area off expertise. :P

• Haha 2

Tuneup

Ya see, ! I told you it wasn't my area off expertise. :P

I had to dig-out an old text book. The 520 I acquired came with a nice pump but the wires are a very flexible 16 ga or the Chinese rendition of ga and that could be anything.

• Like 2

pfrederi

I don't use a fuse, the Facet Posiflo pumps i use draw about 1.5 amps and have an internal 3.5 amp fuse.

• Like 4

Tuneup

I do LOVE this topic as you get to crow over successes and ask forgiveness for screw-ups. This is one of the former. So, the 48" deck I bought with a 520H from South Atlanta this past Spring is a longterm project but I wanted to refresh its deck before Summer's out. One of the spindle bolts was broken - the deck running without it. Plenty of shank but clamping it in a vise and giving it love taps wasn't working. I was about to use my 4 drill bit and tap method when I remembered the HF welder in the garage. Hey! I can weld a nut to this thing.

It's kid in the candy shop stuff. I was able to hammer a larger nut and put a good weld on it with little effort. Some heat and advice from the South Main Auto Channel on youscrewed (keep adding heat while turning) and it came off with very little effort. I had to stop to make sure it was actually turning - thought it was my imagination.

That cheapo welder pays for itself over and over again. Now, if the two stripped-to-the-case exhaust bolts could come out of that P220G...the nut method has become very attractive.

Spindfle1.jpg

Spindle2.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

peter lena

@OutdoorEnvy, noting your recent  plow pick up , having done a few of those , that  STEERING QUADRANT AREA , is one spot that you can really improve the blade swing movement function . found a lot of play in all areas. used new steel washers and  lucas  heavy duty grease on each step , turn it upside down on a couple of crates , pop out the hole covers to expose movement areas . I filled every gap with lubricant and washers , to snug up each move point . also detail the lower swing rod hole , used a bronze bushing to make that solidly smooth . do not spare the lube at every swing point. built mine so I was using a roller stool , to verify every , gain . swings like its magic , no effort at all , just kept rolling around it , and enhancing every area .  have 3 of those blades , they were all brought back , should work without effort , even put a heim joint on the rod swing on one to try that out , works like power steering , good luck with it , pete

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Lane Ranger

Drove up to Loudon, New Hampshire from Boston this am.  Met with Mark Godzik and picked up some 1961 Wheel Horse 701 parts!  A hood, a gas tank, some footrests and a steering fan gear link!  

We had a nice but short visit.  Mark has some nice Wheel Horses and a real good interest in the collecting hobby.  He made it to the Big Show in Gettysburg this year with his son.  He just bought his first round hood a 1968 Wheel Horse Lawn Ranger.  

Mark lives right behind the NASCAR New Hampshire Motor Speedway.    Loudon, Nee Hampshire is some beautiful territory.   A nice stream  runs Mark’s place too.  Reminds me a lot of Michigan but New Hampshire has a lot of stone walls on the end of each field. 

Glad I am going to save some getting rare  701parts! 

FFF5A52B-41E4-4CE1-B0B3-CDC507B2489A.jpeg.cdc473e1095a653e90f43607d503d4d8.jpeg

• Like 1

Lane Ranger

Rebuilt electrical system on my 702 this am.  I had a short out at the Big Show with my regulator arcing on the starter/generator.  The field was bad after that and I had thes/g rebuilt for $90 with rebuilt field and all new brushes.  Ordered a new regulator and two prong key switch which were also replaced today.  

Wired up according to the 702 diagram (which by the way Garry has updated the 701 and 702 diagrams on Red Square for better rebuilding) .  

Back in business now  starting and charging like it should and no loose wires! 

D7713C11-D7AF-449D-A9E2-6A2E422FEC69.jpeg

353B4259-C0F9-4E4D-9E17-72166FAEFCB7.jpeg

A6545E05-C3C1-4B0B-9528-B3646552B99F.jpeg

9AB19E2C-3DC8-4938-9DD4-A6956EBBE0ED.jpeg

BF4923FE-F476-4BCC-90E9-F0ABF9D4E7DF.jpeg

03B48D87-4F67-4AF3-A994-EF216FE1EF3C.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 4

Tuneup

Well, the arbors are now disassembled and the support bracket has been welded. It's been a really good day. If it hits 90° w/ 80% humidity, I'll fire up the 516 to mow the back and get a good sweat going. Why sweat in a steam bath when it's a Georgia Summer and you get it for free?

001.jpg

003.jpg

004..jpg

005.jpg

• Like 5
  • Excellent 3

tom2p
33 minutes ago, Lane Ranger said:

Drove up to Loudon, New Hampshire from Boston this am. 

Mark lives right behind the NASCAR New Hampshire Motor Speedway.    Loudon, Nee Hampshire is some beautiful territory.   

Live Free or Die

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

peter lena

@Tuneup , if you would like the get the most out of those bearing spindles , use LUCAS EXTER HEAVT DUTY . POLYUREA  , ANTI SLING GREASE, 550 temp rated , walmart  $ 5 , easy to refill a new bearing with wide rubber pop off shields . wipe out original grease , carefully refill same amount , reinstall shields , except lower inside seals in housing . only a suggestion on this , as my new bearing noise and failure has been eliminated since doing the lucas grease in all related mower deck and pto mule drive bearings, imagine no whining  bearing noise or failure ,  all 3 of my horses have this , just my experience , but it works , pete   

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2