Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

Lee1977
3 hours ago, KAA 1973 said:

Spent some time over the weekend powder coating deck parts, thought I would coat the spindles to see if I can stop the corrosion. 

I have a feeling I'm going to end up making spindles out of steel instead of paying $75 for new ones or half that for more corroded ones.

Had to lay out the parts to see what I'm missing, looks to be one lock washer and the "Special washers" that go above the blade.

Ordered a new set of plastic washers/bushings to go under the spring tensioner.

Trying to decide if I should do a full restore on the deck or wait until winter.

deck parts.jpg

Your so close to a full restore, might as well go all the way and restore and paint the deck and mounting brackets.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
8 minutes ago, D_Mac said:

the best

Therein lies another good combination.

Every single one of us is better at doing some things than other things, maybe even having a specialty in one or two particular things.

I've always been fairly decent at making most machines do what they were designed to do in a smooth efficient manner.

I do reasonably well at maintenance and repair.

But to make one really shine and have a top shelf appearance? Well I don't think it takes very long for most people to figure out that's where your specialty lies. 

:wh:

• Like 4
  • Excellent 2

D_Mac

Thank you EB, and if anyone needs some help on how to pack 9 tractors into the back of a pick-up truck, or rebuild an engine, or part numbers for not only Wheel Horse but other brands, or whats the best way to plant your wallet during plow days. Or the best place for a nap during " The Big Show". All lifes journeys are shared here. Not just tractor related. We share our pets, homes , family, jobs. We share what we eat, what we plant in the ground, how we move the ground and what we used to do it. All that information can be past along here. What you do with the information is up to the individual.

• Excellent 7
  • Heart 1

Wheel Horse 3D
12 minutes ago, D_Mac said:

Thank you EB, and if anyone needs some help on how to pack 9 tractors into the back of a pick-up truck, or rebuild an engine, or part numbers for not only Wheel Horse but other brands, or whats the best way to plant your wallet during plow days. Or the best place for a nap during " The Big Show". All lifes journeys are shared here. Not just tractor related. We share our pets, homes , family, jobs. We share what we eat, what we plant in the ground, how we move the ground and what we used to do it. All that information can be past along here. What you do with the information is up to the individual.

And the people on here are as varied as the tractors, from all walks of life,varied backgrounds,interests,experiences..and all here sharing a bit of our time and lives and having fun together enjoying this hobby!(MORE THAN A HOBBY!!)

• Like 1
  • Excellent 6

ohiofarmer

I have two more running. The Commando 800 was crudely fitted with a front mount and extension bars which were just 2x4  The tank on the front is a HFT 15 gallon ATV sprayer. I added a spray bat 6 feet that c0vers 8 feet.  It was working just fine and then quit. The generator was working , but the rectifier was shot. One of the herd made a donation and all is fine. BTW, the battery for this tractor came on another tractor i bought last year and the sticker on it is from 2013 !!

One of the Black Hoods is up and serviced with a worn idler pulley linkage replaced The pulley was almost worn through the linkage, so we went through it , the auto trans, and the engine for a rewire and it starts right up. Gonna be a backup tractor so my wife can help me mow.

She already pulled me home with the sprayer failing at the farthest point of the property. The battery quit firing the spark at 5 volts. It's pobably not a bad idea for everyone with these older tractors to take the side shield off and examine the idler linkage. on occasion. The 300-500 newer series wear out as well with a  plastic bushing through the sheel metal needing replacement or an upgrade to brass

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

Oldskool
45 minutes ago, The Tuul Crib said:

I just snuck up on my horse in the woods. Still doing earth moving things!

Dont spook it. It may run away.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Wheel Horse 3D
2 hours ago, Oldskool said:

Is yer wheel horse running? Better go catch it!

• Haha 3

ebinmaine
7 minutes ago, Greentored said:

this little monster

Good save on that one Scott! I'll be looking forward to seeing how that 16 twin runs and what's ACTUALLY wrong with it. 

• Like 2

Greentored
4 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Good save on that one Scott! I'll be looking forward to seeing how that 16 twin runs and what's ACTUALLY wrong with it. 

Me too!  He said he battled electrical/safety switch issues from day one and that it developed an electrical draw, so when he got his grandfathers machine he just parked it.  So far his story adds up- safety switches bypassed/jumpered, key switch has been replaced with a push button and ignition hooked to the headlight switch haha.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

MikMacMike
On 5/17/2021 at 12:22 PM, ebinmaine said:

Not sure if anybody has one on this particular site. Here's a video from the interwebs that shows a good idea of what I was thinking...

Maybe refine it a little bit and put your own touches to it. 

After building the ripper /Box scrapper and pushing it to the limit I noticed Aggie was loosing traction badly. In the past also using the snow blower it sure could use some weight too. I saw this video and yes it looks like an excellent alternative, Ive often thought though if I got some heavy pipe, that way on one side I could drill or weld the wheel horse 5 bolt wheel patern, then either fill with concrete or even just melt some lead filling the pipe? This is on my list of to do's for sure!

• Like 3

MikMacMike
11 hours ago, Oldskool said:

Hahahahah naaaa its a Horse, only those green deers run away!!!

• Haha 2

MikMacMike
On 5/18/2021 at 5:53 AM, ebinmaine said:

Equal fun. 

If I was going to deal with a leak in a fluid filled tire I'd pop it off the tractor and bring it straight to the repair shop. Hopefully with the "leak side"  up. 

Ive often thought of that, I think for the concrete Id cast in an eyelet so the chain hoist could lift it off, and as for the fluid id probably devise something like those cheap pumps you use a drill to operate, especially if I was using beet juice or windshield washer fluid, pop the valve core out and suck it dry, and at the same time your able to store it in a bottle?

• Like 3

Horse Newbie
5 hours ago, Greentored said:

Picked this little monster up yesterday 30 miles from home- FOR FREE! 

@Greentored...I pick up a Work Horse GT-1600 about a month ago for free also !

Got it home and tinkered with it enough to spray a shot of bang juice in the carb, spun it over with a drill and she fired and ran for about 2-3 seconds.

I have not had much time yet to go back to her but I am thrilled so far...

Was your model number and serial number completely faded away like mine ?

20210410_155855_HDR.jpg

20210410_165823_HDR.jpg

20210410_170957.jpg

20210410_170933.jpg

Edited by Horse Newbie
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 3

Ed Kennell
2 hours ago, pfrederi said:

dandelion fuzz was awful

I almost blew the KT17 when the inlet clogged with dandelion fuzz.     When I finally saw it, it peeled off the screen like a heavy blanket.    She seems OK, but had to be hot.

• Like 2

Wheel Horse 3D

Nice! I had completely forgetten that you also got a 3D/Classic ornament!

Looks pretty mean all blacked out, ornament and headlight bezel!

Edited by Wheel Horse 3D
  • Like 2

OldWorkHorse
Just now, Wheel Horse 3D said:

Nice! I had completely forgetten that you also got a 3D/Classic ornament!

Bahaha yeah imma switch them all out quarterly lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

rjg854

That looks mighty nice :occasion-xmas:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Wheel Horse 3D

I really enjoy seeing the variety of what everyone does to their unfinished stuff!

• Like 1

WHX??

So Green @Greentored he didn't even take yer franklin? Wow hard to believe this day and age from a guy you don't even know. 100 clams would have been a fair price, for us clowns anyway. We know what the parts are worth. Hopefully you at least offered him a 12 pak! :)

• Like 2

tom2p
On 5/18/2021 at 6:56 AM, Shed said:

We have foam filled tires and they are only as good as the tread life. They do make them heavy. But we only have them on big tractor mowers I don't know if they make a less ridged foam if not it probably ride like you have cement tires. Just go full old school steel tires and rim combo and weld them up add as much weight as you want ha. I thought my next set of front loader tires I'd try foam filled 

a neighbor filled a wheelbarrow tire with construction spray foam ... Great Stuff insulating foam sealant 

drilled some small holes in the tire and sprayed the foam sealant through empty valve stem into the inside of the mounted tire 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1