Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

squonk

"Well I cleaned off the points and put a new spark plug on 875. Connected some jumper cables from my truck to the tractor. Hit the button and it spun around and around and nothing."

Did it spin real fast like the starter was on steroids?  If it did it may be ,stuck valve, Broken rod or even a broken cam. Do the points open and close whilst cranking. If they don't move that points to the cam broken or not turning.

Edited by squonk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oldskool
1 hour ago, D_Mac said:

Well I cleaned off the points and put a new spark plug on 875. Connected some jumper cables from my truck to the tractor. Hit the button and it spun around and around and nothing. Pulled the plug and cleaned the points again. Left the plug out to see if I was getting spark and no spark. Disappointed  so I turned my attention to the hot rod trailer. Put some fresh paint on it and decided I liked it not so fresh. Taking the tractor to a friend's for help. Keep you updated.

20210405_144506.jpg

20210405_144521.jpg

20210405_144545.jpg

Did you check the new spark plug. It's not common but I have had bad plugs rite out of the box.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oldskool
1 hour ago, D_Mac said:

Well I cleaned off the points and put a new spark plug on 875. Connected some jumper cables from my truck to the tractor. Hit the button and it spun around and around and nothing. Pulled the plug and cleaned the points again. Left the plug out to see if I was getting spark and no spark. Disappointed  so I turned my attention to the hot rod trailer. Put some fresh paint on it and decided I liked it not so fresh. Taking the tractor to a friend's for help. Keep you updated.

20210405_144506.jpg

20210405_144521.jpg

20210405_144545.jpg

Did you check the new spark plug. It's not common but I have had bad plugs rite out of the box.

Lee1977

The U S Navy issued me some tools back in 1967 and said take good care of them, so I did still have some of them. I would guess the New York Central Railroad did the same.

2 hours ago, pfrederi said:

Getting ready to put the snow horses to bed for the summer.  Did some straightening of the blower assisted by the New York Central Railroad..Father "borrowed" the wrench about 1930 when he worked at the West Albany Shops (stamped N.Y.C.L)...... Central is gone, Shops are gone Father is gone :(

IMG_0141.JPG

• Like 2

D_Mac
1 hour ago, squonk said:

"Well I cleaned off the points and put a new spark plug on 875. Connected some jumper cables from my truck to the tractor. Hit the button and it spun around and around and nothing."

Did it spin real fast like the starter was on steroids?  If it did it may be ,stuck valve, Broken rod or even a broken cam. Do the points open and close whilst cranking. If they don't move that points to the cam broken or not turning.

The points opened and closed. There was a noise that didnt seem to be normal but I dont think it was coming from the engine. It seemed to be coming from behind the drive belt guard on the right side. I tried two plugs. When I picked it up from previous owner the wire from the coil to the spark was disconnected at the coil end. Seemed to be wet in there so maybe its bad coil or wire. I did apply some decals.

20210405_165423.jpg

20210405_163304.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

squonk

Better look at the belt drive area good. Could be the idler pulley ready to hand grenade under the belt guard or the hydro fan screen ready to detonate. 

• Like 1

Mikey the Monkey

@krystolo sure is a warm fuzzy feeling isn't it? Horses are great, 4 legged, or wheeled!

• Like 5

rjg854
40 minutes ago, krystolo said:

@T-Mo I rebuilt my carburetor!  

thank you!

Glad you were able to do it, as you found out, it isn't all that difficult. :text-bravo:

• Like 4

Cee245

The last few days... I took apart the 97 416H, Onan P216, decarboned the pistons and heads, cleaned all the fins etc. Put all new gaskets, new oil pressure sensor, cleaned carb and drilled holes in belt cover to help dissipate heat. Still have to finish up some stuff, but lots done.   

On my 417A, I kept messing with the points cover. Ugh.  I have new kohler points and condenser, also replaced the wire from the coil.  When I tighten the 2 cover screws, it cuts out... I can run it, then tighten the screw and before it shuts off, loosen it and it runs... ???

I have a video as well.

20210405_181720.jpg

20210405_181728.jpg

20210405_181752.jpg

• Like 1

953 nut
18 minutes ago, Cee245 said:

When I tighten the 2 cover screws, it cuts out... I can run it, then tighten the screw and before it shuts off, loosen it and it runs..

Pinching the wire? There is a small notch and a rubber grommet on one end of the points cover.

• Like 1

Cee245

Right. I have the grommet in place with wires where they should be I think. They are not tight either. I'm stumped.

19richie66

Is there a gasket under the cover? Possible the points are touching the inside of the cover and grounding out?

I now see the gasket. :handgestures-thumbupright:

Edited by 19richie66
  • Like 2

953 nut

:text-yeahthat:    or the terminal on the new wire may need to be wrapped with tape.

• Like 1

Cee245

Yes it has the gasket... I will try taping. It's gotta be shorting out somehow! 

• Like 2

OldWorkHorse

Worked on the shifter a little more got it to where I like it and continued work on the spacer block under the console. Made some wings for it to spread the weight over. Just got to drill the block and bolt them on tomorrow. 

20210405_194117.jpg

20210405_194142.jpg

• Like 5
  • Excellent 2

Oldskool
1 minute ago, WHX24 said:

Got four horses out of their toy hauler winter quarters. All four fired right off. Power washed the winter gunk off the garage floor and got three in for oil checks, fresh gas and maintenance. The flame... new correct steering wheel...thanks @Achto.... 1067 some tie rod work... RJ-59 new belt. 

20210405_180512.jpg

Great looking bunch. What color is that red of the round hood on the left. My ear is still ringing from the squeal the wife made when she saw it. I think she likes it. 😄 I really like the headlight placement as well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

rjg854

Is the one, 2nd from the left a 68 Commando 8?

rjg854
2 minutes ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

I ate my hood ornament...

:sleeping-drool:

:occasion-clown:

404C86F9-756C-4382-B084-2F1872608264.jpeg

3FE77923-B3E4-43AE-BEB1-CF58CA3BDAB5.jpeg

:scared-eek:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Horse Newbie
5 hours ago, pfrederi said:

Central is gone, Shops are gone Father is gone

Wrench still here !

• Like 3

Achto
54 minutes ago, Oldskool said:

What color is that red of the round hood on the left. My ear is still ringing from the squeal the wife made when she saw it

The paint on that one is House of Kolor candy apple red over a silver base coat.

Here is Jim's build thread on it.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1