Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

ebinmaine
6 hours ago, pullstart said:

lowrider

Yeeeaaahhh

• Haha 2

Lee1977
17 hours ago, haydendavid380 said:

Heat, PB blaster, a big hammer

It took me all of about 12 hours alternating between those three to get mine out.

If they're really stuck, don't plan on keeping the pin. Cut it into pieces so you can the hitch off. Drill a hole in the pin so you can get a punch inside the pin so you don't mushroom the pin.

20210228_212518.jpg.b20381ed9159d9ed276dd8e420b6a537.jpg

I ordered a new pin from Lowell, and it looked almost chrome from all the anti-seize when I put it back in.

I don't use WH pins in any of my tractors

.SAM-1319.jpg

SAM-1219.jpg

• Like 2

Gregor
1 hour ago, Lee1977 said:

Heat, PB blaster, a big hammer

When you say heat, do you mean a propane torch, or something more substantial?

I am attempting to drill a hole through what is left of the pin, after sawing it off on both sides. I seem to have hit something. near the center. No bit, big or small, will go any farther, and it pretty much ruins the bit, and these are NOT cheap bits.

Edited by Gregor

Lee1977
9 minutes ago, Gregor said:

That was haydendavid380.

I said I don't used Wheel Horse pins.  I use long 3/4" top link tractors pins they are a few thousands small in diameter and plated. They also have enough length they don't have to be at the same spot all the time.

Also be careful cast iron don't like impact as a big hammer. Too much heat could destroy the transmission seal. 

Edited by Lee1977
  • Excellent 1

Gregor

IF and when I ever get it out, it will have a hitch pin.

• Like 1

pfrederi
8 minutes ago, Gregor said:

IF and when I ever get it out, it will have a hitch pin.

If you have a press you can cut through the tranny housing right on the seam from the lower rear up through the pin.  There is plenty of metal above and forward of the pin to reseal the case later. Then split the tranny case and press out each half.  Some people have modified their press to take a whole tranny...I haven't.

• Like 1

TJ5208

What have you done to your wheel horse today.             Looked at it

20210319_103513.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Gregor
57 minutes ago, OldWorkHorse said:

Temporarily tossed the tranny and hubs on the 1257H project to make it a roller to finally get to see it with 4 wheels on and rolling! It's coming along slowly but she will get there soon! 

That thing looks like very little will stop it, once it gets going. I also have a build in mind, A bit crazy maybe, and too many $$$, but if I can find the right roller, and some materials, it should be fun.

I have won half the battle, but I fear it's the easy half, and it wasn't all THAT easy. I figured once I had the hitch off, and a hole through it, piece of cake. It wasn't, as many of you probably already know. I did use 2 propane torches with MAPP gas, and I think it did help. With a series of bolts nut, washers, and sockets, I got them out. Here's a tip. Before heating with your torch, REMOVE WRENCHES!:scared-eek: But not to worry, if you forget, you will be reminded in a nano second, and you can rest easy knowing you won't do THAT again. If you do do THAT again, you have a much bigger problem. We might be cousins. :angry-screaming: That thought should keep you awake nights.

20210322_125259.jpg.32f5f74a5c8620a146ca33352b3fc572.jpg

• Excellent 2
  • Haha 6

OldWorkHorse
8 minutes ago, Gregor said:

That thing looks like very little will stop it, once it gets going. I also have a build in mind, A bit crazy maybe, and too many $$$, but if I can find the right roller, and some materials, it should be fun.

She's turning out to be pretty beefy! I'm just hoping the brakes will stop her lol! She started as a frame and a idea coming along nicly! Fun making ideas happen!

• Like 2
  • Heart 1

Tractorhead

2E8FF5F1-F88C-405B-8783-0DCBA1AE25A1.jpeg.7234ba74edc6740f5a6a05bcf7596214.jpeg

checking out the new needed belt lenght,

because of changed Pulley diameter and moved Engine i result finally in 67“.

Belt is ordered.

• Like 7

OldWorkHorse

Got the hubs cleaned up and put together.... just seem to have lost the keys... 

20210322_165957.jpg

• Like 5
  • Excellent 2

Oldskool
11 minutes ago, OldWorkHorse said:

Got the hubs cleaned up and put together.... just seem to have lost the keys... 

20210322_165957.jpg

Where did you get your spacers? Aluminum?

• Like 3

OldWorkHorse
9 minutes ago, Oldskool said:

Where did you get your spacers? Aluminum?

Yes they are from the jungle site. About 80$ for 4 of them. They are ford ranger spacers. 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

8ntruck
3 hours ago, Gregor said:

I have won half the battle, but I fear it's the easy half, and it wasn't all THAT easy. I figured once I had the hitch off, and a hole through it, piece of cake. It wasn't, as many of you probably already know. I did use 2 propane torches with MAPP gas, and I think it did help. With a series of bolts nut, washers, and sockets, I got them out. Here's a tip. Before heating with your torch, REMOVE WRENCHES!:scared-eek: But not to worry, if you forget, you will be reminded in a nano second, and you can rest easy knowing you won't do THAT again. If you do do THAT again, you have a much bigger problem. We might be cousins. :angry-screaming: That thought should keep you awake nights.

20210322_125259.jpg.32f5f74a5c8620a146ca33352b3fc572.jpg

Thank you for providing that tidbit of wisdom for the rest of us.

• Haha 3

haydendavid380
8 hours ago, Gregor said:

I am attempting to drill a hole through what is left of the pin, after sawing it off on both sides. I seem to have hit something. near the center. No bit, big or small, will go any farther, and it pretty much ruins the bit, and these are NOT cheap bits.

I used just the blue bottle propane. 

Drilled a 1/2" hole about 2/3 the way through (if you're halfway that should be enough) and I put a big 1/2" punch in the hole.

Heat it up, soak it with oil, beat it, oil it again. Go watch an episode of something.  Repeat. 

I repeated that for 12 hours before mine broke loose. 

You are better off beating right to left so the tranny is supported more. There's a fine line between effective beating and cracking the cast iron.

I used a 3lb sledge, but if you have access to an air hammer I feel like that might work better. 

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

:text-yeahthat:   Drilling the hole nearly thru the pin  and using the punch is the key.     You are actually pulling and stretching the pin which by theory makes the diameter smaller.

When you simply pound on the end of the pin, you are pushing and expanding the pin.         

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Gregor

I have a sneaky suspicion this tractor might not have a hitch in the end. I have switched to other projects, but once in a while when I walk by, I will heat it up with both torches, and give it a few whacks. I am hoping enough heat / cool cycles might help.So far nothing. I don't know what is so hard in there that none of my drill bits will touch it, but I can drill from each end, just so far, and that's it. I have another plan, once I get the right tools, buy I don't have much faith in it. As far as splitting the trans, that's not gonna happen. Lawn Boy self propelled mowers?  I can do those transmissions, that's about it.

Drilling the hole nearly thru the pin  and using the punch is the key. 

I am over half way from the right side, but can go no farther.

Edited by Gregor

Pullstart

I built a solid link for the grader blade on Jane the Commando 6 and cleared a bit more path in the side brush area that used to be a dirt bike track.  Then Rylee and I broke it in a bit.

Green never looked so good in the shop!

E5D66C34-0366-4184-A5C1-C0F1ED52D5E2.jpeg

668EB96F-61A4-45D2-B9EB-9F53EFE4F9E3.jpeg

4B75F011-61E5-45A3-938A-81025E7F8B0C.jpeg

• Like 7

peter lena

dropped two plows today , heating up mower deck in the sun , after check over to install , do that tomorrow and install the other deck , then , do a rotella o/c , 30 wt  on the last one before hooking up deck. upper 60,s today , nice warming sun . long range weather calls for a much hotter longer summer , hope we get some rain with that heat , pete 

• Like 2

8ntruck
1 hour ago, Gregor said:

I have a sneaky suspicion this tractor might not have a hitch in the end. I have switched to other projects, but once in a while when I walk by, I will heat it up with both torches, and give it a few whacks. I am hoping enough heat / cool cycles might help.So far nothing. I don't know what is so hard in there that none of my drill bits will touch it, but I can drill from each end, just so far, and that's it. I have another plan, once I get the right tools, buy I don't have much faith in it. As far as splitting the trans, that's not gonna happen. Lawn Boy self propelled mowers?  I can do those transmissions, that's about it.

Drilling the hole nearly thru the pin  and using the punch is the key. 

I am over half way from the right side, but can go no farther.

Have you tired a masonry bit?  That might get you past the hard spot.  Use some Tap Eze or 3 in one to keep the temp down I'm the carbide.

• Like 1

DennisThornton
39 minutes ago, Chris G said:

Got my B-140 out and did some yard cleanup today!

20210322_153913.jpg

20210322_153741.jpg

Impressive front rack!  Never seen that done on any GT before.

• Thanks 1

Chris G
13 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

Impressive front rack!  Never seen that done on any GT before.

Thanks and it is very useful to me. It is strong enough to stand on and it all mounts with the front attachamatic bracket. I put a weather sealed quick disconnect on the wiring. So it can go on and off in just a minute.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2