Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

sparkie333
31 minutes ago, RandyLittrell said:

I like to use a sharp flexible putty knife with the sharp part toward the emble

Yep was reading along and though I would use a good putty knife.

• Like 2

sparkie333
24 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

He has drawings for more implements we can make the next time he come

Looks like you got er done. Good job.

• Like 2

sparkie333
2 hours ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

I would recommend a cheap heat gun like from HF

Yep a cheap heat gun.

• Like 1

Horse Newbie

Thanks @RandyLittrell  @WVHillbilly520H , and @lynnmor  !

I can count on you fellows...some of your methods and tips I know...

but until you remind me, they don't come to mind...

Two heads are definitely better than one !

• Like 2

SylvanLakeWH
31 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

After a self-imposed lockdown of a month by the two families, my son and his family spent 11 days together with us. Gave me some shop time with my 5yo grandson and this was what we came up with.  He drew plans, including a "belly mower" and a trailer and we raided the scrap lumber bin together--his new favorite tool is the drill press with a hole saw for making wheels. We attached the mower with a bit of metal sheet glued to the tractor and a magnet embedded in the mower. He's delighted that "it looks just like our tractor at camp!" He has drawings for more implements we can make the next time he comes. I'm looking forward to that already.

517987159_Tractortrailermowermounted.jpg.dbfd251174642a0a033c4225e1ce9803.jpg1898755136_Trailerhookup.jpg.33ca45b20e9b013d43639cd28340136f.jpg1713927301_Tractortrailermowerapart.jpg.458bd7d5304386c80115c99f57289e30.jpg

Lucky kid...!

Lucky Grandpa...!

Great job!!!

:eusa-clap:

• Like 6
  • Heart 1

Tractorhead

Nice gadget,

did you buy it for the driver, because it is still on it‘s Seat... 👍

Edited by Tractorhead
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

953 nut
2 hours ago, Tractorhead said:

Nice gadget,

did you buy it for the driver, because it is still on it‘s Seat... 👍

That is the optional and highly recommended seat warmer, Wheel Horse Part Number Warm Kitty.    :ychain:

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, MikMacMike said:

Sorry Ebinmaine, I couldnt load pics on the messenger, here is the new WH I got for $20.....and the how I fixed the snow blower wheel problem by adding adjustable skies. Ive since straightened the auger and when I get some time Im going to tweek the auger so it fires even wet snow much further while still running at 3600rpm.

image20200803_161140061.jpg

image20201215_183343277.jpg

image20201223_113615149.jpg

Looks good Mike. Keep us posted on how that goes...

• Like 1

cleat

I like the snowblower mod.

The green wheels though......

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Maxwell-8
16 minutes ago, cleat said:

The green wheels though.....

As long as they are not YELLOW! :lol:

• Like 1

Flat Thunder Channel

Hello everyone!  I am finally back in the Wheelhorse game.   Previously I was on a hiatus trying to complete all of my other projects.  The list continues to grow, but I'm slowly checking items off.

I just started looking at the wiring on my 520-H with a 20 HP Onan engine.  I found a toasted wire with a questionable end connector.  What do you think about this connector?  I assume this component is the voltage regulator, but I am not confident.  I plan on removing the crappy splice connector and soldiering the two wires together with a new insulated end connector.  Ideas? 

This was factory, but I'm not impressed with it.  Why insulate one end and leave the other exposed?  Maybe it is a ground, but if it isn't I assumed it shorted out on the case.  If there is a better thread please direct me to the right location.  Happy New Year!

IMG_20210104_001024.jpg

IMG_20210104_002536_521.jpg

IMG_20210104_002536_520.jpg

IMG_20210104_003245.jpg

• Like 4

WHX??

The white wire is AC input to the regulator the piggybacked gray wire is a sense for the tach. You will find a nine pin connector just in back of the engine check that for the same kind of business. The red wire, charge to battery, in the middle of the regulator goes thru that connector and is known to melt the nine pin.  Check & clean the fuse holder too. 

• Like 3

lynnmor

That piggy back connector connects one of the two white AC wires to the stator.  The gray wire goes to the tachometer and carries very little current.  The two white and one red need a very good connection as they carry all of the generated current, so replace the ends if needed plus make the blades on the voltage regulator shiny clean.  Also make sure that your battery cables are connected properly at both ends so that none of the starting current is diverted thru these wires.

• Like 3

Flat Thunder Channel
4 hours ago, WHX24 said:

The white wire is AC input to the regulator the piggybacked gray wire is a sense for the tach. You will find a nine pin connector just in back of the engine check that for the same kind of business. The red wire, charge to battery, in the middle of the regulator goes thru that connector and is known to melt the nine pin.  Check & clean the fuse holder too. 

4 hours ago, lynnmor said:

That piggy back connector connects one of the two white AC wires to the stator.  The gray wire goes to the tachometer and carries very little current.  The two white and one red need a very good connection as they carry all of the generated current, so replace the ends if needed plus make the blades on the voltage regulator shiny clean.  Also make sure that your battery cables are connected properly at both ends so that none of the starting current is diverted thru these wires.

Thanks!  I knew I was asking in the correct location.  I will clean them up nice and check the other connections.  I feel like the lack of insulation on the gray part of the connection just begs for a direct short to ground.  I will change the entire end on the burnt connection and remove the exposed portion of the connection.

• Like 3

WHX??
2 hours ago, Flat Thunder Channel said:

Thanks!   I will clean them up nice and check the other connections.  

Your :text-welcomewave:.... your on the right track with clean up. One of the major problems with any of the horses with an Onan is dirt build up and how hot they run.

Yes they are known to guzzle fuel which equals  power but also heat they sometimes can't get rid of when rode hard and put away dirty or ill maintained.  Electrical connections get dirty and develop resistance which equals more heat which equals a run away train. 

• Like 1

Horse Newbie

@WVHillbilly520H  @lynnmor 

@Vinylguy

Can any of you Onan owners help me decipher these numbers on this engine spec. label ?

I see:

Model and Spec # P220G-I/10955D

Serial # D943161033

Part # 795220

The main part I'm having trouble seeing is the first digit/letter on the serial number.

SEE PICS

20210104_210251.jpg

20201226_201003.jpg

• Like 1

lynnmor
1 hour ago, Horse Newbie said:

@WVHillbilly520H  @lynnmor 

@Vinylguy

Can any of you Onan owners help me decipher these numbers on this engine spec. label ?

I see:

Model and Spec # P220G-I/10955D

Serial # D943161033

Part # 795220

The main part I'm having trouble seeing is the first digit/letter on the serial number.

SEE PICS

20210104_210251.jpg

Look for a number stamped into the block at the top center near the pulley on that flat horizontal surface.

• Like 2

Rob R

Did a little snow clean up with the GT14 the ole girl did herself proud

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

Greentored

Experiment #46,821: Fixed a tire hernia issue on the 701. 3M panel bonding adhesive fits the wallet better than a new pair of those Firestones.

Now stop laughing! 

2D9911E3-1C32-4BFB-B738-DC8A2D956107.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
18 minutes ago, Greentored said:

Experiment #46,821: Fixed a tire hernia issue on the 701. 3M panel bonding adhesive fits the wallet better than a new pair of those Firestones.

Now stop laughing! 

2D9911E3-1C32-4BFB-B738-DC8A2D956107.jpeg

I might be super curious to see how that works out over time. 

Just because we've done something a certain way for a certain amount of time doesn't mean it's the only way or best way. 

• Like 2

Greentored
8 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I might be super curious to see how that works out over time. 

Just because we've done something a certain way for a certain amount of time doesn't mean it's the only way or best way. 

Anxious to see myself.

Sometimes we gotta look at things like "well, it's no good the way it is, if this experiment doesnt hold up, it was no good anyhow."

Just love them old tires on old machines, but cant justify the cost of new ones. Ol 701 will be rockin ags if this doesnt hold.

• Like 3