Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

tom2p
10 hours ago, Lee1977 said:

No  I renforced them. with angle iron. They are the 300 series spindles for 6" wheels.

SAM-0477.jpg

SAM-0475.jpg

nice job 

the length looked 300 series / 6" - but with the added support pieces they resembled 520 spindles 

Edited by tom2p

cleat

Looks good, you can never go wrong with more strength.

• Like 2

ebinmaine

Trina and her mom spent some time moving and stacking wood that we'll be able to use next season.

This is her 867 known as "my otha tracta" or "pigpen".

The trailer is a 1976/77 Ohio Steel brand. Note the round tongue.

image000000_04.jpg.94ac2e765517840b7a863679d8b1fd49.jpg

• Like 5

Marc M.

Polished my wheel covers up!

inbound8614344741189723496.jpg

• Like 6
  • Excellent 2

ebinmaine

We did some reorganizing in the yard, outdoor workshop, and basement workshop.

Moved a couple things for Colossus into the basement and also a rolling table that my grandfather built many many moons ago, from the outdoor workshop into the basement. Trina likes to use that particular table for a lot of her projects but particularly for wire brushing and scraping down parts.

Yesterday we had some friends over to the house for a fall gathering. @Stepney Spenser was nice enough to bring over his E16 for display.

I had the Cinnamon Horse out as well and also Trina's 867.

The Cinnamon Horse was being a bit temperamental. Turns out the battery is no good.

I had intended to take the battery out of the Patriot horse for winter storage anyways so that battery just went into the Cinnamon. At least temporarily.

I got the Cinnamon Horse into the outdoor workshop and changed the oil, mounted the plow, and swapped out the battery. Also took a couple minutes to replace the idler pulley. It's been noisy for quite a while.

IMG_20191201_140927922.jpg.eb69d9908da75394dde70aad3a9ed61f.jpg

IMG_20191201_135122768.jpg.add4c8327fbfa218824f40564e1f8257.jpg

• Like 8

ebinmaine

Nice lookin land there Richie....

• Thanks 1

19richie66
7 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Nice lookin land there Richie....

Thanks Eric @ebinmaine . I can’t wait to get up here for good. There is a lot of deer traffic through this place. I plan on doing a lot of back porch animal viewing with a nice cup of coffee in a rocking chair...... if she let’s me. :hide:

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

953 nut
1 hour ago, 19richie66 said:

I can’t wait to get up here for good

How many days?             :techie-hourglass:

• Like 2

19richie66
10 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

How many days?             :techie-hourglass:

For me, probably mid February or March. Can’t leave till everything here is pretty much complete. Things dragging a little but getting there. Step by step.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

MikMacMike
6 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Trina and her mom spent some time moving and stacking wood that we'll be able to use next season.

This is her 867 known as "my otha tracta" or "pigpen".

The trailer is a 1976/77 Ohio Steel brand. Note the round tongue.

image000000_04.jpg.94ac2e765517840b7a863679d8b1fd49.jpg

Oh dang thats exactly what I was wondering about on the geni starter shroud. The other one I saw was closed on the cooling intake. The one in your pic is open. I think if I go with the geni starter set up definitely have to search for one of those shrouds. Oh and also a great calendar pic Id say!! This wheel horse is so close looking to mine....I love the old tiny ones but this style front end I think is by far the best looking too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tonyp

New post under WH Tractors.  "Johnny Bucket Stuff "  Sorry for the confusion and double posts. 

Edited by Tonyp
photo
  • Like 1

Lane Ranger
On 11/30/2019 at 8:14 AM, Lee1977 said:

No  I renforced them. with angle iron. They are the 300 series spindles for 6" wheels.

SAM-0477.jpg

SAM-0475.jpg

Lee :  Your re enforcing weld job on the Wheel Horse spindle reminded me of a neat trick that a  90 year old Wheel Horse owner taught me.   (Earl McEvers of White Hall, Illinois passed away in December 2016) 

Earl would make and sell two pieces of metal shaped to go over the ball joint on the Wheel Horse steering tie rods so that the tie rod would not come off even when it was very worn.    He use to sell these two pieces for $5 and I bought several from him.  They work great and I have had on several of me tractors.

I am posting as some folks may want to make a set or two for your own tractors.

010.JPG

005.JPG

007.JPG

008.JPG

009.JPG

Oops,  got the metal upside down in the pics!

Here is the way it is suppose to go:

011.JPG

Edited by Lane Ranger
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

WHX??
On 11/30/2019 at 5:17 PM, Shynon said:

decided to put the 56 on the table.

What are your plans for that one Tom? 

Shynon
57 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

What are your plans for that one Tom? 

Take it all apart,  new bearings and bushings,  one hub is broken.  Little wet sanding, paint rims, see what the Clinton needs

• Like 5

balconio
On 11/29/2019 at 11:18 AM, ZXT said:

:text-welcomeconfetti:to :rs:

First post and we didn't even have to ask for:text-coolphotos:! I think you'll fit in just fine.

What you bought will make your MTD look like a childs toy! 312's are simple and rugged tractors.

funny you should say that- i have a pic of one 312-8 next to the YardPro 12hp on the trailer. it looks like a toy sitting next to the Horse. the rears on the YardPro are 16x6.50x8, which is the same size as the FRONT tire setup i want for the 312-8. My 9yo son is stoked since he's getting the keys to the YardPro, not sure if it's going to stay a mower or not yet. it might have the deck ripped off and get some ATV/Snowblower tires on it for trail riding.

IMG_20191116_120133258_HDR.jpg

Edited by balconio
  • Like 5

rjg854

Worked the heck out of the 16 auto and the 877 today on my 1/4 mile driveway.  And what fun I had :happy-bouncymulticolor:

Just got the 877 at the big show this past year, and put a 48" plow blade on it. 

What a difference there is between the standard and automatic.

I'd be hard pressed to go back to a gear jammer, now that I've used the auto.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

Lee1977
3 hours ago, Lane Ranger said:

Lee :  Your re enforcing weld job on the Wheel Horse spindle reminded me of a neat trick that a  90 year old Wheel Horse owner taught me.   (Earl McEvers of White Hall, Illinois passed away in December 2016) 

Earl would make and sell two pieces of metal shaped to go over the ball joint on the Wheel Horse steering tie rods so that the tie rod would not come off even when it was very worn.    He use to sell these two pieces for $5 and I bought several from him.  They work great and I have had on several of me tractors.

I am posting as some folks may want to make a set or two for your own tractors.

010.JPG

005.JPG

007.JPG

008.JPG

009.JPG

I went one better not near as cheap, but should last a life time. The frist ones have been on since 1989, Heims Joints.  This set up with 1/2" heims joints runs around $50.00

I have been there when I needed to mow and the tie rod fell out. That why all my Wheel Horses have heims joints.

SAM-0214.jpg

Edited by Lee1977
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 3

lynnmor

As part of my Fall-Winter changeover, I clean out the accumulated debris by removing the seat, fender, gas tank and floor mats.  The following photos are of a 520H that was clean and only used for the Fall cleanup.  It was given a quick wash with a garden hose before the parts removal.  If this were not cleaned, major over-heating and rust will happen.  While apart, I oil all moving parts that are exposed.

Hydro stuffed.

IMG_1919.JPG.4d1ea9ad11f8495b9a8c00c029d212d2.JPG

Leaves that were brushed out.  The remainder was removed with Gunk and garden hose.

IMG_1921.JPG.7754aee3607ac26a05a4053e7c56a621.JPG

Crud under floor mat that will cause rust.

IMG_1922.JPG.b471901a956a13a4f5caadfd97633478.JPG

Here is the after photo:

IMG_1925.JPG.e9e65cda0890290b0a747666f428c90b.JPG

Edited by lynnmor
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 3

Lee1977
2 hours ago, lynnmor said:

As part of my Fall-Winter changeover, I clean out the accumulated debris by removing the seat, fender, gas tank and floor mats.  The following photos are of a 520H that was clean and only used for the Fall cleanup.  It was given a quick wash with a garden hose before the parts removal.  If this were not cleaned, major over-heating and rust will happen.  While apart, I oil all moving parts that are exposed.

Hydro stuffed.

IMG_1919.JPG.4d1ea9ad11f8495b9a8c00c029d212d2.JPG

Leaves that were brushed out.  The remainder was removed with Gunk and garden hose.

IMG_1921.JPG.7754aee3607ac26a05a4053e7c56a621.JPG

Crud under floor mat that will cause rust.

IMG_1922.JPG.b471901a956a13a4f5caadfd97633478.JPG

Here is the after photo:

IMG_1925.JPG.e9e65cda0890290b0a747666f428c90b.JPG

Then I bought my 520-H  last Feburary all the grass, dust, dirt and oiley dirt would have filled up a 5 gallon bucket. I usually blow the 520  off with a air hose each time I used it. I had already cleaned onder the rear fender and shift plate when I pulled the lower plate off the steering tower.

SAM-0937.jpg

Stepney

Got my ST-376 mounted to the Electro 16 yesterday and gave it a trial today. Something seems to be tweaked in the front as the blower sits a little crooked, lifts awkward too. 
The 16 really seems to work hard so I guess something is amiss there too. I'll have to tear into it yet again. 

IMG_6836.JPG.612400a7efed5b49aedbf3ccef8233db.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8ntruck

Took a road tip to PULLSTART's shop today where new Carlisle Turf Savers were mounted on my rear wheels.  The old Turf Savers looked to have a manufacture date of Dec. 2001, which means that my father in law probably replaced the originals.  They still held air, but had lots of cracks in the sidewalls and tread.  Tire mounting machines are wonderful things!

Kevin's shelving system for his tractors looks good and appears to open up some floor space that he didn't have last time I visited.  This will feed the old adage that cra, rather, things expand to fill available storage...….

Tightened up the brake band adjusting nut a couple of turns before re-mounting the left wheel.  That ought to make the tractor more comfortable to drive near the lake shore, as the drop off of the lawn into the water ranges from 6 to 18 inches.  Also took a look at why the parking brake latch does not latch.  Looks like the link from the clutch/brake pedal needs to be adjusted shorter.  Made an attempt, but the adjusting nut is rusted in place.  Soaked it with penetrating oil and letting it set for a while.  

I now see the advantage to converting to lug nuts & studs.  It is somewhat of a hassle getting the wheel holes lined up with the tapped holes in the hubs.  If/when I remove the hubs, I think I'll make the conversion.

• Thanks 1

pfrederi
46 minutes ago, Stepney said:

Got my ST-376 mounted to the Electro 16 yesterday and gave it a trial today. Something seems to be tweaked in the front as the blower sits a little crooked, lifts awkward too. 
The 16 really seems to work hard so I guess something is amiss there too. I'll have to tear into it yet again. 

IMG_6836.JPG.612400a7efed5b49aedbf3ccef8233db.JPG

Just a thought is there much wear in your front tachmatic or the rod  that is part of the blower??  That plus the belt tension will make it be off center  are you in the outer pulley on the PTO??? Looks like inner one but I can't be sure.

Stepney
1 minute ago, pfrederi said:

Just a thought is there much wear in your front tachmatic or the rod  that is part of the blower??  That plus the belt tension will make it be off center  are you in the outer pulley on the PTO??? Looks like inner one but I can't be sure.

The bushing and bolt seemed pretty tight and I imagine the blower has little use, since I know the machine it came off of. (Pre Tach a Matic)
I am on the inner PTO pulley, thats what the diagram in my owners book showed to use.

Lee1977
36 minutes ago, 8ntruck said:

Took a road tip to PULLSTART's shop today where new Carlisle Turf Savers were mounted on my rear wheels.  The old Turf Savers looked to have a manufacture date of Dec. 2001, which means that my father in law probably replaced the originals.  They still held air, but had lots of cracks in the sidewalls and tread.  Tire mounting machines are wonderful things!

Kevin's shelving system for his tractors looks good and appears to open up some floor space that he didn't have last time I visited.  This will feed the old adage that cra, rather, things expand to fill available storage...….

Tightened up the brake band adjusting nut a couple of turns before re-mounting the left wheel.  That ought to make the tractor more comfortable to drive near the lake shore, as the drop off of the lawn into the water ranges from 6 to 18 inches.  Also took a look at why the parking brake latch does not latch.  Looks like the link from the clutch/brake pedal needs to be adjusted shorter.  Made an attempt, but the adjusting nut is rusted in place.  Soaked it with penetrating oil and letting it set for a while.  

I now see the advantage to converting to lug nuts & studs.  It is somewhat of a hassle getting the wheel holes lined up with the tapped holes in the hubs.  If/when I remove the hubs, I think I'll make the conversion.

If you tightened the brake too much the parking brake lever won't latch into notches. 

• Like 1