Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

Lee1977

I used one like that on my 520, put a 5 amp fuse in the line connect it to the switch also put a toggle switch on the dash. I can run it out of gas for storage If I don't plan to use it for a while.

SAM-0958.jpg

SAM-0973.jpg

• Like 6

pfrederi

I used a cheap electric pump like that on a C-141 it failed after only a few hours ... a long way from the shop of course and her front mount mower made recovery all the more difficult.  I have Facet posiflo pumps on three tractors, two for several years no issues....

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 2

WildmanC120
49 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

I used a cheap electric pump like that on a C-141 it failed after only a few hours ... a long way from the shop of course and her front mount mower made recovery all the more difficult.  I have Facet posiflo pumps on three tractors, two for several years no issues....

I have also had 2 of those die recently. Just replaced them with the Facet as recommend here.  Will see if that works better.  

• Like 2

Lee1977

With all these companies engineering things to fail shortly after the guarantee runs out. I don't think what or where you buy or how much you payed makes much difference. It's all a crap shoot it might work or it might not and they are hopeing it last longer then the guarantee. 

• Like 3

TonyToro
On 8/14/2019 at 7:04 AM, pullstart said:

I’m glad nobody was hurt!  Without a picture of the damage, I’d suggest heat and a hammer will put it back for ya!

I smash on it for while to get it “Good Enough”.

I’ll take a picture of the spindle tomorrow.

posifour11
On 8/10/2019 at 1:12 PM, 953 nut said:

Meed to put a belt guard on that :wh: woods tractor.   Lot less gear grinding then.

@953 nut, I did you one better. Because I remembered that I stole this drive belt off of a parts tractor and it was in bad shape to start with. I replaced it today and I'm going to put the belt guard on in the morning. You guilted me into being a good horse owner. 😁

20190816_132104.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

ebinmaine
5 hours ago, posifour11 said:

You guilted me into being a good horse owner. 😁

That's what you get for hangin' around these parts...

:P

• Like 1

The Tuul Crib

Paint was cured enough on my wheel weights to put them on the tractor today. Sure did improve the looks! 

782E9400-4D9F-4CA3-B240-7246FCA59DF8.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 6
  • Thanks 1

pfrederi

Made a modification to Matts Foot Control on my 418A.  Bought it several years ago and then took a couple years to install it.  It gets really hard to work sometimes.  Turns out the steel bushing that slides up and down in bracket #2 Doesn't slide nicely.  Getting lube on it is not straight forward and if you look at the picture you can see where a groove has been worn in the bushing.  I put in a longer bolt and a jam nut on tighten it to the bracket so now the bushing can spin on the bolt.  I know this will wear over time but if it works out I will come up with a oilite bearing on the bolt and a steel bushing over that.

IMG_0003.JPG

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

The Tuul Crib

Put the blade back on IRV proceeded to push some dirt in the woods back behind my house. This is one strong a little beast. 

It's amazing what a little weight will do for the backend of these machines. 

D6192B5D-224D-4D0A-BFBB-D8A0DB5DA505.jpeg

0F48F810-0EBA-4292-AE3B-8177F1E251C4.jpeg

• Like 3

Herder
On ‎8‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 3:22 PM, ebinmaine said:

We just spent about 4 hours cutting wood and clearing brush. We cleared about 250 - 350 feet of path.

Almost to the back of the property now.

Also cut down a BUNCH of small white pines to give breathing and sun space to the hardwoods.

Also cut up a red oak which will be for firewood in a season or two.

This section of the path begins back around the white poplar that's laying on the forest floor.

IMG952019081795142011061.jpg.dbd51dd02dcbb30a74811fc6b9a276a1.jpg

Zoom in just above the tractor seat and you can see the pile of oak fire wood.

There's a path cut from here to there... Then to the left and around the corner and another couple hundred feet down in...

IMG952019081795141947672.jpg.4a9ec4b1224d2b2fa8f47764926229f1.jpg

We're almost all the way to the back of the property now.

Awesome.

That's what I'm talking about.  Beautiful property EB, I just have to make it to retirement and I will see you in Maine.

Herder
10 minutes ago, The Tool Crib said:

Put the blade back on IRV proceeded to push some dirt in the woods back behind my house. This is one strong a little beast. 

It's amazing what a little weight will do for the backend of these machines. 

D6192B5D-224D-4D0A-BFBB-D8A0DB5DA505.jpeg

0F48F810-0EBA-4292-AE3B-8177F1E251C4.jpeg

Ya and they look good too.

• Excellent 1

ebinmaine
13 minutes ago, Herder said:

That's what I'm talking about.  Beautiful property EB, I just have to make it to retirement and I will see you in Maine.

You come on up and visit.

• Thanks 1

Lee1977
1 hour ago, pfrederi said:

Made a modification to Matts Foot Control on my 418A.  Bought it several years ago and then took a couple years to install it.  It gets really hard to work sometimes.  Turns out the steel bushing that slides up and down in bracket #2 Doesn't slide nicely.  Getting lube on it is not straight forward and if you look at the picture you can see where a groove has been worn in the bushing.  I put in a longer bolt and a jam nut on tighten it to the bracket so now the bushing can spin on the bolt.  I know this will wear over time but if it works out I will come up with a oilite bearing on the bolt and a steel bushing over that.

IMG_0003.JPG

That bushing looks to be the size of a no. 688 roller skate bearing. it's 8mm ID is just .003 over 5/16" and the OD is 16 mm just ,0049 over 5/8" you need two as they are only 5mm wide.

Edited by Lee1977
  • Like 2

The Tuul Crib
19 minutes ago, Herder said:

Ya and they look good too.

I had to switch out the wheels on the front to my 6 inch because I'm having troubles getting the blade to go down low enough. So the wheels don't match ! 

Oh well dont really care about style 

its all about functionality !

• Like 1

TonyToro
On 8/15/2019 at 8:38 PM, TonyToro said:

I smash on it for while to get it “Good Enough”.

I’ll take a picture of the spindle tomorrow.

Here is the left spindle that was bent along side of the parts tractor spindle. I used a pipe wrench and a 3lb hammer to get it close enough to use. 

I am thinking I should make a pair of adjustable tie rods.

9CA036F6-2E2E-45D6-8A45-F6A22AB0B8EE.jpeg

• Like 1

8ntruck

I haven't done anything with mine for a couple of weeks.  The grass is crispy brown and we haven't had much rain to correct that.  

Most of my time has been spent putting new flooring into the lake house.  Still have two bedrooms to finish.

I did put a want ad into the classifieds for a 42" RD deck.  Maybe something will come of it.

Pullstart

Big Junky is getting some attention today.  To pull fuel into the carb, I normally have to cover the carb completely with my hand and make sure the tank is full.  I’ve been meaning to swap on a pump from a broken rod engine.... since this tractor has obviously had some fuel issues in the past.  It’s now pumping and will start on it’s own!  Why should I work on this beast, when I’ve got nicer looking workers?  It’s heavy and has a drawbar AND slot hitch... so I can spread chicken poo from a trailer AND disc the food plot... that’s why :handgestures-thumbupright:  Some day, Big Junky will be complete when this Big Junky stack finds it’s way on!

2DFD6158-F95E-463B-AF8E-12660AFE7198.jpeg

12768FFB-5BB6-4FD0-A5D9-05460FEC772E.jpeg

A655D99C-6869-478F-9231-272F8DA76DB5.jpeg

645D6E86-7118-4D65-A2E2-E277F9BD9534.jpeg

0A24D627-3AE8-456E-BAE0-D568878ED61D.jpeg

0D1B0C47-DCF1-4B86-819C-0A2C99A694C8.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 3

Pullstart

What more fitting, than using the Polished Turd to bring spares out to Big Junky!  I was cruising along and believe to have lost spark.  I have two coils and a new set of points to try out today!

E64B5269-93F5-445A-8D7F-20BC70D11022.jpeg

5B06C012-75A3-456C-8642-6E97970694EA.jpeg

533436FC-3AEC-4937-819D-02C49A58EA4B.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart

I believe my issue was the points, but the funny thing was that it ran great for a few minutes, died, sat for a while, fired back up... like a weak coil would act.  I replaced the coil, and it did the same thing.  I never touched the points, trying one thing at a time.  It fired back up, ran for a few minutes, then died again!  I swapped my spare set in and whalla!  It worked :eusa-think: and I’m back in business!

18E9AA60-9EB8-4D12-8FAF-FDF05533E709.jpeg

B916BE62-7FB2-4E63-BDF2-897CF050433A.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Excellent 2

Burnerman

I removed the hardware store spring and put a brand new Toro clutch spring on my C101. I wheelied right outta the garage! 😲 I wasn’t ready for that. 😂 

What a difference!!

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

ebinmaine
8 minutes ago, Burnerman said:

I removed the hardware store spring and put a brand new Toro clutch spring on my C101. I wheelied right outta the garage! 😲 I wasn’t ready for that. 😂 

What a difference!!

:D

Well done!

adsm08

Not a got-dang thing. Haven't even used it in two weeks. It didn't rain for 8 says after my last mow, and the grass hasn't recovered from the end of last week.

I got a nice box from Lane yesterday though. Took it down to work hoping to clean up the new pump a bit over lunch, got busy and ended up working through lunch instead.

TonyToro

One of the guys from the pulling club came by and got my Sons pulling tractor Good Ole Rusty the Raider 12 running! My son is so happy. I’m pretty relieved as well. From what we can tell it was just bad grounding from the block to the Chevy points bracket. Although we installed a new ignition switch(because the old one was smoking when we were cranking it... lol), new spark plug, cleaned up the valves and the head. Now it actually starts right away, not like before when it had to crank for a few revolutions before firing off.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1