Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

Pullstart

Nice picture frame, Jack!  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19richie66

Apparently dad was on redsquare. :laughing-rolling:

• Haha 6

rjg854

Dad is the supervisor, of course!

• Haha 2

Racinbob

The 854 I picked up at last years big show was run very little until recently. For months when I'd find a little time I would putter around with it getting things bolted together properly. It was missing so much hardware that I'm amazed it didn't end up in a pile of parts on the trip home. The engine had been cleaned up when I got it and I didn't notice much in the way of leaks until recently now that I'm running it and the bulk is from the breather area. I also couldn't get the carb tweaked to my liking so I decided to rebuild it since I'd have it off for access to the breather cover. Ya thunk this could be the problem? 

1970400871_Carbgasket.jpg.a1b277996e53880daac2240dc60b1e75.jpg

OK, carb rebuilt. No on to the breather. I cleaned things up. The PO had used the lovely blue silicone stuff. Fortunately it cleaned up good. I made new gaskets and ordered new breather filters. Note that Kohler now recommends using 2 filters in the K-181. Before I saw this I ordered 2 so I'd have a spare. So much for the spare now. They were delivered today. 

The clutch wasn't right. It was way too sloppy causing it to not engage properly. Enter a pair of 1/2" x 5/8" bushings a couple days ago. I had to grind off the old idler assembly but fortunately I had a spare from the two tractors that were given to me. Clutch is now smooth a silk and slop free.

509329676_Clutchbushing.JPG.5789bc82f7eb480f124be9f3e55b9d0b.JPG

I need to finish the breather stuff and get the carb installed. I thought I'd do that this morning but after a few minutes out there I think I'll wait a couple days. It's HOTTTTT!  :angry-devil:

• Like 4
  • Excellent 4

8ntruck

ADSM08 - Have you tried red or green Loctite to hold your bushing in?

I noticed a rust hole in my deck when I mowed a couple days ago.  It is next to where the right hand guide wheel mounts.  Won't be a hard thing to patch, since I brought my wire feed welder to our summer place.

The cut looks terrible.  I suspect that the blades need sharpening or maybe replacing.  I'll bet that there is at least a 1/32" radius on the cutting edges.  There will be some deck work in the near future.

Keys - My tractor key hangs right above the shed key, so it has a known place.  Of course, this only works when I maintain the discipline to hang the keys in their places when I clean up.  I also noticed that my key is labeled as a GASP! green tractor key. :no:

Edited by 8ntruck
  • Sad 1

Lee1977
26 minutes ago, 8ntruck said:

ADSM08 - Have you tried red or green Loctite to hold your bushing in?

I noticed a rust hole in my deck when I mowed a couple days ago.  It is next to where the right hand guide wheel mounts.  Won't be a hard thing to patch, since I brought my wire feed welder to our summer place.

The cut looks terrible.  I suspect that the blades need sharpening or maybe replacing.  I'll bet that there is at least a 1/32" radius on the cutting edges.  There will be some deck work in the near future.

Keys - My tractor key hangs right above the shed key, so it has a known place.  Of course, this only works when I maintain the discipline to hang the keys in their places when I clean up.  I also noticed that my key is labeled as a GASP! green tractor key. :no:

Somebody must be trying to get your blood pressure up!

• Like 1

ohiofarmer

got the little b800 running. Carb rebuild kit on 5 carbs I have, so that is done as well. It had a bad place on the key switch as the START position passed current in testing, but not enough amps. Stuff like that can foll you.  I need the tins and the small shaft [thicker center drive bushing] for a drive bonnet for a second donor 8 HP.

Also got the Predator 6.5 cleaned up for the 1075 yard tractor.

Stuff to do when recovering from injuries......

• Like 2

Andy N.

Installed LED lights on the 418-A! I guess now I'll have to get them for the other 2 Horses.

IMG_0254.JPG

IMG_0252.JPG

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1

mhlmeader

I got this sickle bar originally to put on my dad's tractor, buuuut it wouldn't fit right.  So I gave it a try on my 854.  Seems to bolt up correctly, anybody have an idea what the drive belt should be? I'm thinking 1/2 x 34?  The 38 it came with was too long.  Model 7-1312 , 50 inch bar. Anywho, this is what I messed with today...and it was HAWT!!!!

20190720_175859.jpg

20190720_175914.jpg

20190720_180107.jpg

• Like 6
  • Excellent 1

8ntruck

Was in the low 90's yesterday with overcast and a pretty good breeze.  My wife and I dug out the canoe and paddled around the lake for fun.  Turned out that we were pretty tired when we got back in.  So, I dug out the horse and put it on canoe duty to get the cane up the hill to storage.

IMG_0373.JPG

Edited by 8ntruck
  • Like 7
  • Excellent 2

Ed Kennell

That's a first....I use my WH to move boats on trailers, but never saw a WH dragging a canoe.:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8ntruck

Dragged the pedal boat up the hill tonight.  Not far, maybe 40 yards across the lawn.  Easier than pulling the load myself!

That canoe is an 18' aluminum Grumman.  Weighs about 100 pounds.

Edited by 8ntruck
  • Like 1

Racinbob

It's a much nicer day today. I got the breather assembly put back together, the carb reinstalled and am ready to check her out. Hopefully the leaks are gone and I can get the carb adjusted properly now. :)

770170190_854breatherandcarb.jpg.def7e6596e39bfa4132bf9baac18e7af.jpg

• Like 5

Pullstart
16 hours ago, mhlmeader said:

Got my sickle bar belted up, needs a little tweaking,  but I think I got er'....

20190721_141847.jpg

20190721_141917.jpg

That thing looks right at home!  What belt did you end up going with?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

mhlmeader
7 minutes ago, pullstart said:

That thing looks right at home!  What belt did you end up going with?

I ended up using 1/2 x 35.  Then I had to make a wire belt stop, as the belt still wanted to rotate abit when disengaged.   Working pretty well now:)

20190722_072532.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

953 nut
12 hours ago, mhlmeader said:

Then I had to make a wire belt stop,

Here is a picture of the factory belt stop, but yours looks fine.

20170417_174124.jpg

• Like 1

Pullstart

Played with the new Briggs I/C powered GT-1600 tonight.  The fuel line is plugged bad to the tank under the seat.  I managed to blow air through the line into the tank but still could not get anything through.  So I put a small piece of hose into a gas jug from the fuel pump and had Rylee crank it over again.  Now fuel’s spitting out of a weep hole on the pump cover!  The P.O. mentioned it might need some pump work, leads me to believe it’s been apart before?  So I’ll need to find a pump kit for that Briggs engine AND find the plug in the fuel system.

@Blackhood Bill do you off hand know of any part numbers for a fuel pump diaphragm kit?

D2202233-C68C-4679-942A-1B342DBDDA79.jpeg

E2E09407-DAAE-485A-B506-ED4E548646E2.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3

Achto
19 minutes ago, pullstart said:

do you off hand know of any part numbers for a fuel pump diaphragm kit?

Ok I'm not completely sure which engine your new tractor has. Is that an opposed BS twin? Fuel pumps on those were a common problem. If that is what you have hopefully it is the 3 screw pump as those are a little cheaper than the 4 screw pumps. Here is a site that offers the rebuild kits, even if you don't order from them you will be able to get the factory part #'s from their site.

http://www.psep.biz/store/briggs_stratton_fuel_pump.htm

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine

@pullstart which one of your little tractor gang is claiming the grey one? 

Pullstart
7 hours ago, Achto said:

Ok I'm not completely sure which engine your new tractor has. Is that an opposed BS twin? Fuel pumps on those were a common problem. If that is what you have hopefully it is the 3 screw pump as those are a little cheaper than the 4 screw pumps. Here is a site that offers the rebuild kits, even if you don't order from them you will be able to get the factory part #'s from their site.

http://www.psep.biz/store/briggs_stratton_fuel_pump.htm

It’s good to know the three screw is the better one!  That’s what I ended up with.

• Like 1

Pullstart
2 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

@pullstart which one of your little tractor gang is claiming the grey one? 

Hard saying...  

I have an interest in keeping it around, but the price was right and we are trying to teach the girls that it’s ok to get rid of things once in a while, along with basic economics.  We have a potential to buy low, put in a little sweat equity and sell at a point which we feel comfortable making something back AND making the buyer happy with their new tractor.

Then again, I feel like maybe there’s a chance I get it going and keep it around to graze in the tall tall field with that Briggs twin and RD deck!

All in all, I’d like to have a Work Horse in my fleet some day.  Will it be this one?  I don’t know yet.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, pullstart said:

Hard saying...  

I have an interest in keeping it around, but the price was right and we are trying to teach the girls that it’s ok to get rid of things once in a while, along with basic economics.  We have a potential to buy low, put in a little sweat equity and sell at a point which we feel comfortable making something back AND making the buyer happy with their new tractor.

Then again, I feel like maybe there’s a chance I get it going and keep it around to graze in the tall tall field with that Briggs twin and RD deck!

All in all, I’d like to have a Work Horse in my fleet some day.  Will it be this one?  I don’t know yet.

Some years back I had another brand with a very similar if not identical Briggs 16 twin in it.

I never did get to drive that one but I've had a lot of great luck with Briggs engines over the years. That particular one ran n sounded fantastic.

I'll be super curious to see what you think if you do try to mow with it.

• Like 1

Pullstart
8 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Some years back I had another brand with a very similar if not identical Briggs 16 twin in it.

I never did get to drive that one but I've had a lot of great luck with Briggs engines over the years. That particular one ran n sounded fantastic.

I'll be super curious to see what you think if you do try to mow with it.

I’ll be sure to keep you updated!

• Thanks 2

Blackhood Bill

@pullstart according to tractor data.com that :wh: came with a 655 cc twin cylinder Briggs. Made in 1984. I'm not sure of the part number your asking for. I'd bet that Lincoln at A-Z could help you with one. Does it run? Sure would be a great addition to the herd!:romance-grouphug:

Edited by Blackhood Bill
  • Thanks 1