Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

19richie66

Last hub I did took a puller, lots of heat, blaster, breaker bar with a large extension pipe and a 40” pry bar to keep it from wanting to turn. I won in the end.💪

• Like 2

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, 19richie66 said:

Last hub I did took a puller, lots of heat, blaster, breaker bar with a large extension pipe and a 40” pry bar to keep it from wanting to turn. I won in the end.💪

Yepp

That pretty much precisely describes what we had to do on one side of Trina's 867.

I ended up breaking one of them even though I was using the five Bolt old Hub puller method.

It took almost no tension at all so odds are good it was already cracked.

pfrederi

The reason the other hub came off easily was the keyway in the hub was in bad shape as was the axle keyway.  Since is a rainy miserable day I have been making a brass woodruff key.  Actually found a piece of brass stock in metal pile no idea where it came from.  See if i can weld then grind as well As ED Kennell when he did this.

IMG_0403.JPG

IMG_0402.JPG

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 5

Ed Kennell

You got this Paul.

19richie66

Working it! Or I’m getting worked over..... something like that :laughing-rolling:

D667FF6B-BFE6-42AC-8F20-B991675A28AD.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 5
  • Haha 1

Aldon

Nice when they start earning their keep!

• Like 2

peter lena

pullstart , relating to your  fuel priming problem , i picked up 3 of those aluminum fuel check valves for my horses, no more fuel pumping problems , amazon 12 $, free shipping.  laneranger , love the aluminum trailer, we go out west to drive, with the related aircraft industry out there , they make everything in aluminum , neat stuff , pete

• Like 2

Sarge

If those hubs don't come off easily - I just skip all the bs and go straight for the acetylene torch, large tip, bearing splitter and the big puller. I refuse to be beaten by an old, rusty piece of iron.

Changed the oil in both the 16 Auto and the D-180 yesterday in preparation for the big spring cleanup job. The TSC store nearby is becoming more useless by the day - they are completely out of the good Kohler SAE 30 engine oil. I ended up stopping at the local Deere dealer and got a few quarts of their CF rated Torq-Gard motor oil. Rated for CF, SH, SJ use from what I can gather on it. As often as I change the oil in the D, its good enough for now.  Plan to order at least 3 cases of the Kohler flavor when I get out to work this summer.

Sarge

ZXT

Got off work late last night but still managed to get the trans oil and filter changed on the C120. I love having this extra hour of light in the evenings. Next will be pulling and sharpening the deck blades so that it'll be ready when the grass gets tall enough to mow here in a week or so. 

The transmission does feel stronger now. It had a Fram PH8A filter on it, which had a bypass valve - definitely not a good thing. 

Here's a picture after i got done... A bad picture, but a picture nonetheless 

IMG_6190.PNG

Edited by ZXT
  • Like 2

pfrederi

Certainly not perfect missed a tiny bit at one end but it is nice an tight.  Had to sand just a bit off the new key it sat a little proud.  I have a bucket with several axles with messed up keyways.  The brass key didn't seem to be affected so I can reuse it...at least for the older axles that used the #15 key.  May ave to look into the broach set mentioned as I have a bunch of messed up hubs.  Now I have to weld up the parking pawl and put in a new spring as you can see the original is heavily grooved (but it worked OK)

IMG_0406.JPG

IMG_0407.JPG

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3

Ed Kennell

Super save Paul.  Any comments, tips, or time it took to hand work the axle to fit the hub?

• Like 1

pfrederi
3 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

Super save Paul.  Any comments, tips, or time it took to hand work the axle to fit the hub?

The hub has to fit on???  :P

Actually i did it all in less than an hour.  Ground off the weld first with angle grinder then an emery disk on my drill.   You could see the high spots because there would be a shadow of grit next to it.  Then switched to strips of emery cloth.  Used the old needle bearing  to test clearance.   One issue I could see on a badly worn axle would be keeping the brass key exactly perpendicular to the axle.  I used a c clamp to hold my brass key in for welding.

IMG_0405.JPG

• Like 1
  • Excellent 4

Ed Kennell

Excellent,  Sounds familiar.  After the grinder and flap wheel got me close, I used the Dykem  and hub to locate the high spots and worked them down with a file.

• Like 1

19richie66

Nothing to the tractor but I did get this packed up for a trip to NC 👍

E3822960-35B0-430C-8197-D82380F8663D.jpeg

64E0C512-5980-4B6E-93F1-D92226C7FC4A.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 5

BPEisenhower

Thank you so much for the help Sarge and pfrederi!! Waiting for an oil pressure gauge and a hole saw to mount in the dash but got the charging issue solved. Every grounding point was cleaned and dielectric grease applied. Did not realize that the key switch is just as important until I seen one terminal was rusty. After using a Dremel and brass wire wheel, more grease, it showed charge immediately!! Next project is oil pressure gauge, install oil filter and figure out how to get the deck to raise higher. Can't wait to get this done and hopefully make a show or 2 this year. Keep all you Horse fans posted!:wh:

• Excellent 1

ericj
6 hours ago, LengerichKA88 said:

I was amazed how many people slowed down to look as they drove by

the neighbors drive by when I have my heard out and shake their heads and think who's the fool that lives there and has so many little red tractors  :hide: :ROTF:

eric j

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 6

ebinmaine
7 hours ago, ericj said:

the neighbors drive by when I have my heard out and shake their heads and think who's the fool that lives there and has so many little red tractors  :hide: :ROTF:

eric j

Some of them are shaking their heads on the way home from the junkyard after dropping off the box store mower thinking

I wish I had one o those.....

• Like 6
  • Excellent 1

peter lena

pullstart , relating to your  fuel priming problem , i picked up 3 of those aluminum fuel check valves for my horses, no more fuel pumping problems , amazon 12 $, free shipping.  laneranger , love the aluminum trailer, we go out west to drive, with the related aircraft industry out there , they make everything in aluminum , neat stuff , pete

peter lena

lengerichka88, as you are aware, today's  " yard tractors  " are total junk, people  simply cannot relate to something made with steel and designed to last. keeping these tractors alive is the way to go. i have a couple of  cul de sac,s  housing up the road, i often use them for , longer road testing my horses.  i do this when everyone  has gone to work , giving me empty roads all the way. i too get the stares and questions , like what is that thing? another benefit of a longer road test, is that my horses , transform into a much easier running unit. i always take the time to use all my gearing on an empty road, allowing the oil to heat up and giving you the opportunity to change heated gear oil. thanks for the pictures, pete

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

TonyToro

Did some mock up for a pedal extension on my sons pulling tractor.

C967750B-C052-42EE-A92F-C917D4EE2221.jpeg

392F1227-3904-4279-8E43-6BCADB0695DD.jpeg

• Like 3

ebinmaine
17 minutes ago, TonyToro said:

Did some mock up for a pedal extension on my sons pulling tractor.

C967750B-C052-42EE-A92F-C917D4EE2221.jpeg

392F1227-3904-4279-8E43-6BCADB0695DD.jpeg

Love that barn...

• Like 2

peter lena

tonytoro , having my own plans / idea to lengthen my clutch pedal throw, and increase leg room, i was hoping to see what you had in mind, pete

peter lena

the tool crib, that is a sweet looking ride that you have there, thank you for keeping it looking like new!  once you get it clean ,its much easier to maintain it that way, so many of the horses i see are just starving with neglect , never mind a shine!  i,m sure it runs like it looks , good job on that , Pete