Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

ebinmaine
54 minutes ago, Razorback said:

Did I see mention of putting diesel in the transmission and driving it a bit to clean it good?

If you really want to get it good. Put in about two quarts of diesel and drive it around in every gear a little bit. Figure eights if you have space.

Drain. Refill. Repeat.

Then fill it with your preferred gear oil...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Razorback
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

If you really want to get it good. Put in about two quarts of diesel and drive it around in every gear a little bit. Figure eights if you have space.

Drain. Refill. Repeat.

Then fill it with your preferred gear oil...

I knew I was saving the diesel I drain occasionally from the fuel filter bowl on my PowerStroke! Figured it would come in handy for something some day!

• Thanks 1

JimmyJam
10 hours ago, formariz said:

I used to have around 100LBS on it on my Electro. Never had a problem but was always worried about all of that weight bearing on that single narrow point under case. Then since there was a bit of play in the hitch I welded a large plate under there to hitch so weight would be distributed over a much larger area and not directly to case. Its worrisome specially if it bounces up and down such as before I welded plate. Now I upgraded it to a heavy duty hitch by one of members here, that puts weight in the correct areas.

@formariz

Exactly!!! I use a metal plate and a very thick rubber mat under the hitch where it contacts transmission due to vibration of hitch. Works.

Thanks for sharing!

• Like 1

Retired Wrencher
On 1/1/2019 at 3:10 PM, ebinmaine said:

Thanks to @Retierd WrencherWrencher 

We put rear chains on Trina's 657.

Of course she had to go driving around in the yard to make sure they were tight and secure.

IMG_20190101_150804660.jpg.bae488afb0267f81621be7171dc08ebb.jpg

I hope Trina Enjoys them. They where just colleting dust here.

• Like 2

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, Retierd Wrencher said:

I hope Trina Enjoys them. They where just colleting dust here.

Yepp

As you can see she will put them to good use on a regular basis. Now we just have to get her front end to steer.

This tractor is so light it just pushes forward in the snow.

Maybe a roller chain on the biggest rib...

Maybe weights. Maybe both.

pfrederi
24 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Yepp

As you can see she will put them to good use on a regular basis. Now we just have to get her front end to steer.

This tractor is so light it just pushes forward in the snow.

Maybe a roller chain on the biggest rib...

Maybe weights. Maybe both.

I would think it very difficult to keep a roller chain on the center rib.  Since you went with the tri rib I would think adding a lot more weight would take advantage of the tri ribs direction stability.  Trade off will be harder steering.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

I would think it very difficult to keep a roller chain on the center rib.  Since you went with the tri rib I would think adding a lot more weight would take advantage of the tri ribs direction stability.  Trade off will be harder steering.

I appreciate your thoughts on that. I was kind of thinking the same thing.

Harder steering really won't be much of an issue because you can literally steer it with two fingers right now.

rjg854

Roller chains work well with saw tooth tires, one side of the chain fits right in the groove rather nicely.  With that kind of grip the chains stay in place even with sharp turns in stone, I have found.

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, rjg854 said:

Roller chains work well with saw tooth tires, one side of the chain fits right in the groove rather nicely.  With that kind of grip the chains stay in place even with sharp turns in stone, I have found.

I kind of understand what you mean but is there any chance I can get a pic of that?

rjg854

20180114_115833.jpg.0969e71e33df995301628b761a0b5b63.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

rjg854

When I changed the chain on the snowblower, I used the old chain for the tires.  More than enough for both tires.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, rjg854 said:

When I changed the chain on the snowblower, I used the old chain for the tires.  More than enough for both tires.

I have some number 60 roller chain that I've been meaning to put on the turf tires for the plow tractor. Haven't exactly gotten around to it yet but I will at some point.

• Like 1

rjg854

Those roller chains made an incredible difference in the way the front end steers, like riding on rails.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

oliver2-44

@Razorback, Yes you can put a couple of quarts of diesel or kerosene in the gear transmissions to clean and flush them.  You can put the rear on jack stands or drive around the yard going through each gear.  If what comes out is really ugly I've even flushed them twice.  

• Thanks 1

ebinmaine
8 minutes ago, oliver2-44 said:

@Razorback, Yes you can put a couple of quarts of diesel or kerosene in the gear transmissions to clean and flush them.  You can put the rear on jack stands or drive around the yard going through each gear.  If what comes out is really ugly I've even flushed them twice.  

The one in Trina's 657 we did twice. The one that was on my c-160 we did three times and it still was not clean so I actually shelf that transmission for further research later.

Lee1977
19 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

The one in Trina's 657 we did twice. The one that was on my c-160 we did three times and it still was not clean so I actually shelf that transmission for further research later.

When I added new axle bearings to my 312-8, I  found a lot of rust on the top inside of the transmission. I scraped the loose part off. It might be better to use more then 2 quarts of diesel to clean the transmission, but I would not fill it completely full. This is the only picture I took when I had it apart. As you can see It doesn't show as I took the picture from the top.

SAM-0401.jpg

Edited by Lee1977
  • Like 3

WHX??
14 minutes ago, oliver2-44 said:

If what comes out is really ugly

The 604 came out real ugly & mostly water... sitting for the winter filled to dang near the top with kerosene. Over added through the shifter hole.  Will run it come spring and re-drain/refill. Never saw a shift lever quite so bad.

20181128_182519[1].jpg

20181128_182435[1].jpg

• Like 1

LengerichKA88

@19richie66 I’m just now seeing this picture, but are those headlights?

D916C452-1A78-408A-A1BF-ADE9D4C57DDE.jpeg

Pullstart
On 11/23/2018 at 8:50 PM, KyleLengerich said:

Well, All I did was put a seat on it, but something else happened....  I’m just getting my feet wet with these tractors as most of you know, but most everything I’ve done is with our Mystery 8hp/3spd, or “Hank” (The Square “Face”/Front end, as good a shape as its in for its age, and the lens cover looks like square framed glasses to me, so it’s name in honor of Hank Hill😂)

We haven’t really touched the Charger 10 we bought except to pull the trailer it came home on back to where it normally sits. We got it mainly for the 42in Plow that came with it. With the spring seat on it, I sit too high and too close to the steering, so it wasn’t comfortable. Because it wasn’t comfortable, I didn’t really feel one way or the other about it. The other day I swapped the seats (above I believe) and tonight while organizing the new shop, I decided the best way to get the loose seat out of my way was to put it on a tractor. After I got it on, I sat down and this tractor felt and looked completely different to me. 

Now I had to find a way to talk the wife into letting me try and keep it. They all came out to check on me, and I showed the Misses that I got the seat on. 

“I haven’t even really looked at this one” 

“Well, hop on it baby.”

She sat down and after a second she started to crack a smile. 

Hook, line, and seat... I mean sinker. 

“I could drive that.” She said on the way back in with the kids. 

Now I need another one... can’t let the wife have more horses under the hood than me😂

Sure ya can!  I think it’s plenty acceptable for my wife to beat me in pretty much every race... I love that smile!  

Now back to page 59 for catch up reading...  but perfect method of getting her into the hobby!

• Haha 2

LengerichKA88
Just now, pullstart said:

Now back to page 59 for catch up reading... 

Thanks to your reacts I found some stuff I missed, so get back there :ychain:😂😂

19richie66
3 hours ago, KyleLengerich said:

@19richie66 I’m just now seeing this picture, but are those headlights?

D916C452-1A78-408A-A1BF-ADE9D4C57DDE.jpeg

Yes they are. They are 2" 10 watt LED lamps mounted together with a small tab that comes with them. Just search 2" LED spot lamp

Sorry to put my mug in there but here is how they look. That was my first test drive after getting it together. Still have some small tweaks to do on her. The lights work great but you have to watch your legs or they get in the way of the light. @PeacemakerJack can vouch for how well they work.

Edited by 19richie66
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 4
  • Thanks 1

LengerichKA88

@19richie66 that’s really cool. I would’ve never thought of sticking lights there, but as soon as I saw it I thought “That’s genius!” 

Idea tucked away for later for sure lol

• Like 1

19richie66

Well I'm no genius:naughty:  but whoever put them there in the larger tractors could be :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

LengerichKA88
59 minutes ago, 19richie66 said:

Well I'm no genius:naughty:  but whoever put them there in the larger tractors could be :handgestures-thumbupright:

I guess I’ve just never noticed em before, I thought you cut the spot out and put em in there yourself. 

I guess that’s why I don’t design tractors 😂😂

• Haha 1