Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

ohiofarmer

I got the new 1056 running better. This little Horse is a little tired, but a coil and condenser transplant got it running. And the battery was hooked up backwards on the poles. No wonder it was not running!

Today, I got it running without needing starting fluid. The choke had been frozen and by using Deep Creep on the cable after stripping off the plastic cover, it finally freed it up. It starts very easily now. Not bad for a $107.00 purchase. There was so much plastic baler twine woven around the blade towers that i had to burn it with a torch and pick out the pieces

Next is some work on the tie rod ends that were replaced with bolts drilled through [acting as ball of the ball joint]  and flipped over. Just wallowing about loosely and it steers to the right, but not so much to the left.  

So in repairing the front end, i am borrowing tie rods from the Raider. I even had to borrow a spindle because the tie rod arm was all wallowed out on the right one. The other spindle had a bent tie rod arm so a session with a ball pein hammer got it close to the other side. Assembly is tomorrow morning. BTW, the bolts they put in the tie rod ends probably would have broken off on any sideways slope--so it is a safety issue as well

nov 2018 wheel horse 038.JPG

nov 2018 wheel horse 037.JPG

Edited by ohiofarmer
update
  • Like 4
  • Excellent 1

cleat

I like how your turn handle matches your light holders.

You must have a conduit bender.

Front hitches are handy sometimes as well, nice job on that also.

Cleat

953 nut
2 hours ago, OneHorse said:

could have kept this topic busy for the last several months,

:WRS:

Please take a few minutes and tell us a bit about yourself and your :wh:

https://www.wheelhorseforum.com/forum/47-introductions/

Razorback

Did some general cleaning of our C160, the front blade, and the tiller.

Also put a battery minder on it. This battery minder had only the ring terminals on it, so I grabbed a couple of extra clamps that were in a cheap-o tool set I have, drilled some holes in the clamp handles, and fastened the clamps to the battery minder’s ring terminals using a bolt and nut.

aghead

I finished the rebuild on my 8hp Kohler. It runs very well but sprang an oil leak around oil pan gasket or from behind the flywheel shroud. It could be the bearing plate gasket or the crank seal? I'll pull the motor to investigate. Darn!

• Sad 1

Lee1977

I finished up getting my leaves up, been waiting them to all come down. I got most of them about a month ago.  We had rain then snow on the ground for about a week. Had one bank area I had to rake down into the 

drive way to pick them. Didn't get any pictures. This picture is from the last time showing the other side from the one I had to rake. I also installed a new switch in the 312 and got the lights and gages to work. That is the tail lights got some new head lights ordered for the blind horse.

SAM-0861.jpg

• Like 3

Super-C 4 me

Today I finished putting my new gas tank on my D160, also added some wheel weights and chains, just Incase there’s a snow bank I need to move.

5BF69A9D-2F0C-47BC-93DB-6F2721B9982D.jpeg

94236B2A-4135-4A89-99D1-D1597DE444F4.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 7

pfrederi

Nice tank!! did you make it??

• Like 1

Super-C 4 me
23 hours ago, pfrederi said:

Nice tank!! did you make it??

I had it made. Tim Hamilton from Auburn, MA made it. He did a great job. I gave him a D200 tank to make it after.

F989ABC3-1713-4999-9206-9A54FE02DB38.jpeg

94931C45-8C22-48B4-8504-0B8C79DC4E22.jpeg

• Excellent 6

Super-C 4 me
1 minute ago, bmiller0457 said:

I had it made. Tim Hamilton from Auburn, MA made it. He did a great job. I gave him a D200 tank to make it after.

729AC4BA-E231-463B-9F13-85CFFABAA5E5.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

19richie66

That looks fantastic Brian

• Like 1

TonyToro
19 hours ago, bmiller0457 said:

Looks great! Fantastic craftsmanship! 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

andyk

Installed new rear tires. also mounted wheel weights

IMG_20181222_101348546.jpg

• Like 8

ebinmaine

@Achto

Nicely done sir !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

WHX??
10 hours ago, Achto said:

I worked on converting a generator engine into a tractor engine for a project that I'm working on. An engine designed for a generator or pressure washer will usually be equipped with a tapered PTO shaft. An adapter shaft can be purchased on :techie-ebay:, although I have to say that I was not entirely impressed with the quality of the one that I received. The engine that I'm working with had a non typical tapered shaft, as it was longer & had multiple steps to it. These multiple steps were not really adapter friendly & need some adjusting.

Starting from the end of the shaft after the taper the OD was 7/8", perfect for the adapter. Unfortunately it did not maintain the OD for the distance needed for the adapter. The next step on the shaft was 1", this size was of no use to me at all. The 3rd step was 1.146 again of no use to me.

IMG_20181223_113354354_HDR-min.jpg.bd9c5784ac2e9fa0378a515c4bc3b138.jpg

I did not want to tear a perfectly good engine down to change the crank or machine it down soo.... I used what my Machinist friend calls a redneck lathe. Start the engine , grab a 4.5" grinder, a file & some emory cloth and go to town. After I was finished the second step was gone & the 3rd step was turned down to 1 1/8". All with in .005"

IMG_20181223_122531393_HDR-min.jpg.c4ba89dc7c88b0a179b226734b4b9cd1.jpg

Slide the adapter shaft on.

IMG_20181223_140834126_HDR-min.jpg.7fed77115f0492e3a01099c946a3b1f4.jpg

I choose to use a triple pulley simply to cover as much of the adapter and empty gap as I could.

IMG_20181223_165924566_HDR-min.jpg.9200dbab6b93e71b487bb7ed74ab9f55.jpg

Question what holds the adapter to the crank? A bolt through the end into the crank? What keeps the adapter from spinning on the crank, just the taper? Gotta have those extra pullies to run a HY for the plow!!

Achto
1 hour ago, WHX21 said:

Question what holds the adapter to the crank? A bolt through the end into the crank? What keeps the adapter from spinning on the crank, just the taper?

Yes a bolt in the end of the crank presses / holds the adapter on. Pressing the adapter on to the taper keeps it locked in place. Now one might think that this would not be enough to hold it but when you consider that you can snub the engine on a gen by over loading it, then it I would say that it has been proven to work.

Edited by Achto
  • Excellent 1

Achto
1 hour ago, giddyap said:

DSC03793.JPG

There's a great calendar shot !!

• Excellent 4

giddyap
4 minutes ago, Achto said:

There's a great calendar shot !!

Yeah, She is a big tease, not fully dressed and only posing in primer.

• Like 1

AMC RULES

:text-yeahthat: She does look good there in her :wh: lingerie.   :occasion-santa:

• Haha 4

Lee1977
9 hours ago, giddyap said:

Over a number of days, I adapted a Cub mule frame to hang weights, Cub footrests with extensions, diamond plate console, a unknown steering wheel with homemade cap, a block of wood to raise a seat from a Sears tractor, a long frame snow plow, new tires, undecided if the red oxide primer will be the finish coat, extended the hood a couple inches yet I still had to cut it for the air cleaner on the Predator engine. New shift pattern plate, a lawn ranger rear hood plate, and hood decals will be installed. I would bet the public would not know of any of these changes I made for my personal prefaces  

DSC03793.JPG

DSC03796.JPG

You have made it usable that's what counts. I have one of those engines on a walk behind mower. I always run the carb. dry before putting it away, and it starts on the first pull.

Edited by Lee1977
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 3

Cetan08

Being Christmas and all I had plans to change the oil in all the horses and put bows on the steering wheels but the wife convinced me that my thinking was flawed and should help in the house. She gave me that look, you know the one I am talking about. Maybe tomorrow.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5