Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

Lee1977
5 minutes ago, The Tool Crib said:

What !! Did you say nap?? When do you find time for that? Nap time is productive time! No time for snooze:sleeping-yellow:

Some one on here said they were 5, I'm 6 with some larger number in front of it I find it very easy to take a nap.

ebinmaine
8 minutes ago, Lee1977 said:

Some one on here said they were 5

That was me... And likely a few others.

:lol:

I DO appreciate naps too.....

bds1984
On 11/28/2018 at 4:52 PM, edpm3 said:

Put the snowblower on for the first time in about 15 years. Still works. Headlights are kaput and even when they worked, didn't throw much light so the next project might be an LED light bar.

IMG_1404.jpg.c46169015c19b16b6563636b7c3f1eb4.jpgIMG_1405.jpg.15a7eb29fac17e05b69521c0dfb8ed6f.jpg

Mine were very dim and just didn't throw much light either.  When I refreshed my C165 I replaced the headlamps with some LEDs that were the same size.  But after running a snowblower, a light bar mounted up higher, say on the hood, might be a better option.

20150713_205046_resized.jpg

Edited by bds1984
Added image

WHX??

I crippled my horse :wacko::o

20181128_185133.jpg

Round two

20181129_181118.jpg

With the persuader

20181129_181234.jpg

Edited by WHX21
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 4

R. L. Addison

Haven't been able to do anything to my red stuff for a while, been busy helping my "Bride" get ready for a triple by-pass (11-27). Dr. emailed a list of things to be done each day, (house-hold, physical, & others) to make it easier, & safer at home & hospital, so you know why I am behind on MY schedule in everything. God has His own schedule, & that's the important one!

I recently purchased a tired 417A & working toward putting a 12 h.p. K series on it (hopefully) and use it for a "utility" unit, and set it up so I can take it to storm/disaster sites for emergency lighting/power for tools etc. My quick mount generator/air compressor & hopefully (soon) high pressure pump I think could be a valuable short-term asset in many situations, & I have a two wheel trailer for on site portability if ever needed for emergency & personal use.

If PO bought this new, I don't think he ever blew any of the dirt/debris out of it, as every cavity that was capable of holding anything was full. I don't see how the directional control could work. 

Too many visitors are wanting to see my wife tomorrow, so rather than get run out of the hospital tomorrow I plan on playing until the coast is clear & I get clearance.

One good thing is I FINALLY got money for RS support & a few parts.

Wife home 11-10, doing well, Dr. appt. 11-15, Dr. very pleased, she's doing excellently, ("do anything you want to & feel like, but heavy lifting, but STAY ACTIVE") & push yourself a little to build yourself up. Result of GODs love & prayer from all over U.S., & places & people we do not even know about. Thanks to the prayer warriors in this group.

Edited by R. L. Addison
update
  • Like 4
  • Excellent 1

Razorback

Here’s to a successful outcome to her surgery. Prayers sent for all. May you be a good nurse, and may she be a good patient when you both get home!

Edited by Razorback
  • Like 1

ohiofarmer

Here is one that i just picked up stole for a buck fifty  A little rough here and there. The PO had the battery poles reversed. The battery is good, but the spark is weak.  A timing light only flashes occasionally on an installed spark plug.  Even though the deck was abused, it is a really thick gauge steel and weighs twice what you would expect.

There is an extra part I am not used to. It appears to have a resistor installed before the coil. I don't know whether or not to eliminate that and try a different coil or not.

nov 2018 wheel horse 033.JPG

nov 2018 wheel horse 039.JPG

nov 2018 wheel horse 018.JPG

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

953 nut
1 hour ago, ohiofarmer said:

extra part I am not used to. It appears to have a resistor installed before the coil.

:woohoo:                       Good Buy!                 :text-coolphotos:

A lot of automotive coils didn't have the built in resistor like our :wh: so the external resister was used. I bet if you clean up the points you will have a stronger spark.

pfrederi

If the PO reversed the battery (making it  a positive ground) did he also reverse the wires on the coil?   If you have corrected the battery terminals make sure the feed from the ballast resister goes to the + terminal on the coil the wire to condenser and points on the -.  In a positive ground system those connections are reversed.

• Excellent 1

pfrederi

Been working at tighten up a very sloppy front axle pivot.  Drilled out the pivot hole in the axle to 7/8"  then pressed in two sleeves to get back down to 3/4".  Had to do a bit of reaming as I think the sleeves ID shrank a bit when pressed in.  But now the pivot pin slides in and out nicely and is wobble free.  Have to work on the front of the frame hole as it is a bit sloppy.  You can see how worn the existing pin was, lying on top of axle.

IMG_0242.JPG

IMG_0243.JPG

• Excellent 4

ebinmaine
12 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

shrank a bit when pressed in.  But now the pivot pin slides in and out nicely

Paul is this the kind of thing that can be done on a really big vice? Or do you really need more of a heavy-duty press?

pfrederi
2 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Paul is this the kind of thing that can be done on a really big vice? Or do you really need more of a heavy-duty press?

The pressing in wasn't hard.  Tricky part was getting the hole drilled out nicely.  Required a fair amount of fiddling around on the drill press to make sure it would drill straight and true.  Chucked in a 3/4 bit and slide the axle over it.  Took awhile and shims to get the axle securely clamped to the table and keep bit centered.  Then had to swap out bit to 7/8 for the drilling.

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

fiddling around on the drill press

Mounting things on my drill press is another one of the skills I need to acquire over the next few months.

I only have a very small basic drill press Vise to hold stuff and it's a very cheap piece.

I'm hoping to pick up a used one somewhere at some point or another that won't break the bank but is of decent usable quality.

pfrederi

Mounting things on my drill press is another one of the skills I need to acquire over the next few months.

I only have a very small basic drill press Vise to hold stuff and it's a very cheap piece.

I'm hoping to pick up a used one somewhere at some point or another that won't break the bank but is of decent usable quality.

Used wooden shims and big C clamps to hold it to the table.

• Thanks 1

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, pfrederi said:

Used wooden shims and big C clamps to hold it to the table.

I guess I'm going to have to try some experimenting. I already have those things.

:)

pfrederi

I guess I'm going to have to try some experimenting. I already have those things.

:)

Issue is there is only the front surface of the axle that is a right angle to the pivot hole and there is small collar around the hole you have to shim to make up for that and then the c clamps are pulling against a tapered surface on the back of the and they wanted to slip.  Just took some fiddling nothing over whelming....

cleat

Looking good.

A lot of wear on the ends of the pin is likely because the tab on the pin broke off allowing the pivot to tale place on the ends VS in the axle where it should.

Cleat

pfrederi

Does anyone know why WH put a groove in the front of the pivot pin for a snap ring.  The plate on the back end that bolts to the frame should keep it form going either forward or backwards.  I made a new pin but do not have the tools to make a snap ring groove.  Don't think I need it but want to make sure.

Lee1977
3 hours ago, pfrederi said:

Does anyone know why WH put a groove in the front of the pivot pin for a snap ring.  The plate on the back end that bolts to the frame should keep it form going either forward or backwards.  I made a new pin but do not have the tools to make a snap ring groove.  Don't think I need it but want to make sure.

I don't know why they put a snap ring there, but I do now what it does. It keeps the pin in place after the tab brakes.  With out it and a broken tab the pin could lock up the steering. If you have made the pin long enough you can use a washer and carter key. We put a snap ring groove in mine as I have a friend with a lathe. I also used a 3/16" thick tab. 

ohiofarmer
10 hours ago, pfrederi said:

If the PO reversed the battery (making it  a positive ground) did he also reverse the wires on the coil?   If you have corrected the battery terminals make sure the feed from the ballast resister goes to the + terminal on the coil the wire to condenser and points on the -.  In a positive ground system those connections are reversed.

I checked and the points and condenser go to the terminal marked {dist.} or distributor, I assume.   The PO included a new in box coil with an included receipt. I took it back for another $43.00 refund, So we are into this horse for $107.00 so far.  The parts of the failed raider ten engine should bring that spark back. For all I know, the PO having the battery poles reversed may have messed up the old coil and resistor?

Anyway, I really appreciate your input as it addressed some concerns . I now understand that the coil that was on there was not correct. I also will take the time to check all the connections and clean/file the points for a dependable spark.

• Like 1

cleat
2 hours ago, Lee1977 said:

I don't know why they put a snap ring there, but I do now what it does. It keeps the pin in place after the tab brakes.  With out it and a broken tab the pin could lock up the steering. If you have made the pin long enough you can use a washer and carter key. We put a snap ring groove in mine as I have a friend with a lathe. I also used a 3/16" thick tab. 

When I make new pins, I drill a hole for a cotter key.

Not really needed, just for safety.

Hate to lose control at full mowing speed.

DSCN2106.JPG.fd2f83fcf53befccf9ad428a54dca7e4.JPG

Here are the plans I use.

Front axle pin plans.pdf

Here is the completed pin.

434832114_Axlepinweldedup1.jpg.780b109d76a56b40dd725e6cea356ec1.jpg1854349023_Completedpin2.jpg.fc422e23f686c3e01ff93b8c05f7ec3e.jpg

Cleat

• Excellent 4

R. L. Addison

If I was to drill & bush that hole, I would take two identical pieces of flat stock & put between machine table & machined boss & clamp it. Clearance would have to be provided for the drill to go through without drilling into the table, & clamping (for position) would be easier on the other face of the machined boss.

Wish I could draw you a picture as I'm afraid I'm being confusing.       MMmm m m m let me stew on that for a while,. maybe I can do it with a camera after Mama is home.

• Like 1

Sarge

I do a lot of those - it is a very common wear point due to the sheer weight of the engines and all the heavy gauge sheet metal. To top it off, there is slop in nearly all of them between the frame mounting point and the thickness of the pin boss on that axle - I use bronze/brass shim washers to set them close to a zero fit. Generally, I try to leave .010" clearance for grease to keep things lubricated and prevent galling. For the hole for the pin, I use a long length bronze oilite bushing and pick either a thin-walled one or thick walled standard one to accommodate the casting size. Using a full-length bushing helps prevent wear, especially when using a plow blade so it can't focus the stress on either the front or rear portion of the axle casting. The original design incorporated a hollow area in the center for the purpose of storing grease, but it rarely flows into or fills that cavity - which is why they wear out the hole and pin. I make the pins out of the harder grades of 300 stainless - the surface finish and hardness helps to prevent the pin wearing and allows the bushing to do it's job and not wipe out the pin. They can also be made from 1018 steel or similar. Using Super OIlite versus standard oiled bronze helps here too - there is an incredible amount of stress in the center pin and front wheel spindles on these heavy machines. The spindles will show the largest wear and issues, doing the whole axle with bushings/sleeves make them like new again - except better.

Sarge

Racinbob
19 hours ago, pfrederi said:

Probably being redundant as the others have said. Wheel Horse didn't do it on all the tractors. I have a couple that the pin is flush with the front of the frame. I have no concerns about it. :)

cafoose

Got my snow equipment ready the last couple days!:banana-dance::occasion-snowman::banana-skier:

20181201_130437.jpg

20181201_130019.jpg

20181201_130004.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1