Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

WHX??
4 minutes ago, 19richie66 said:

but you use what you got around here

Nother old biker saying Ritchie.... run what ya brung! :lol:

• Haha 2

Anglo Traction

Last week I swapped out the old tired 5091 Trans in the 8 spd C-120 and needs a rebuild. Replaced it with a spare 103916 I obtained 6 years ago-

DSC01861.JPG.4bc3e1701b032b26bdf92a3cb3137165.JPG

. Gave it 3 runs and all smooth and positive.

Yesterday, I noticed a tiny weep in the brake shaft oil seal, so I pulled and replaced all the seals 

DSC01870.JPG.896f453dfebf018b38e509c312cc8368.JPG

All done and finished today ready for more test runs tomorrow . Cleaned up, painted and fitted the original gear cover plate. Also swapped rear wheels over to the Maxxis Kevlar Turfs on this, as it is going to a new home for mowing and towing duties.   

DSC01876.JPG

• Like 4
  • Excellent 4
  • Thanks 1

19richie66

Well since it’s too hot outside to work on my horse, I did the next best thing. I painted one :laughing-rolling:  Trying to get used to this airbrush making a little bit of rust.

0148A204-1BD6-4F5F-BE49-6FBEFF238C35.jpeg

02CBE08D-07CE-47A3-889D-DDFD4CA457EB.jpeg

8883043B-3B4F-4596-9E41-9E4B090E5F53.jpeg

Edited by 19richie66
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 5

953 nut
17 minutes ago, 19richie66 said:

making a little bit of rust

RUST!  You want rust, I'll show you rust!               :ychain:

5bae6d4e9ded4_953restoration002.JPG.a0c904d9f1b06702c99e6bc123c4ed7e.JPG

• Haha 6
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

19richie66
2 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

RUST!  You want rust, I'll show you rust!               :ychain:

Definitely have your fair share :laughing-rolling:

• Haha 3

Lane Ranger

Richie :  Your puller is just  like the one I use. 

I have a friend that lets me use one a little different one that works  pretty well also.   Here are some pics:

032.JPG

033.JPG

Edited by Lane Ranger
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

19richie66

@Lane Ranger So far it has worked 100% and it was free scrap materials. I have about 2” left for it to come off but it’s too hot out right now. Couple hours I’ll go fight it again.

Edited by 19richie66
  • Like 2

mhlmeader

Today i drained out the new tranny oil i put in last week, leaky seal, seal repair stuff no worky..infact seemed to make it worse.  Got new seals the other day. Prolly work on it tomarrow afternoon or sunday.  

I also got my replacement muffler guard in, and managed to intercept the box before my yellow lab secretly ran off with box. Rip it open. And loose all the parts. (Happened before).  

In the meantime, while beauty is sick, i still got the beast to putt around on!!

20180928_160139.jpg

20180928_160441.jpg

20180928_160946.jpg

20180928_160149.jpg

20180928_160321.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 5

cleat
5 hours ago, Anglo Traction said:

Last week I swapped out the old tired 5091 Trans in the 8 spd C-120 and needs a rebuild. Replaced it with a spare 103916 I obtained 6 years ago-

DSC01861.JPG.4bc3e1701b032b26bdf92a3cb3137165.JPG

. Gave it 3 runs and all smooth and positive.

Yesterday, I noticed a tiny weep in the brake shaft oil seal, so I pulled and replaced all the seals 

DSC01870.JPG.896f453dfebf018b38e509c312cc8368.JPG

All done and finished today ready for more test runs tomorrow . Cleaned up, painted and fitted the original gear cover plate. Also swapped rear wheels over to the Maxxis Kevlar Turfs on this, as it is going to a new home for mowing and towing duties.   

DSC01876.JPG

Holy, your old trans still looks like new.

Great looking tractor.

I love clean and fresh paint.

Cleat

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

wallfish
1 hour ago, mhlmeader said:

Today i drained out the new tranny oil i put in last week, leaky seal, seal repair stuff no worky..infact seemed to make it worse.

That sucks! But on the bright side, the bottom inside part of your rim is more shiney and snow won't stick to it. :ychain:

Make sure those axles are smoooooth, especially check and file the key slot as it doesn't take much to ruin those seals. Been there done that.

Edited by wallfish
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Anglo Traction
15 hours ago, cleat said:

Holy, your old trans still looks like new.     Great looking tractor.   I love clean and fresh paint.

Cleat

Thanks Cleat, that tired old 5091 (on left in my first pic) looked like this when I got it-

DSC00359.JPG.50351cb255fc016de448c7723e31f67d.JPG

Inside was just as bad, there were a multitude of reassembly errors by the previous owner as well.

First run today of the replacement Tranny was good......got to go out again and again testing it...... oh the the things we have to endure ...seat time.! 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3

Lane Ranger

Working on the 1964 Wheel Horse 854 this am to get the drive belt clutching improved. 

It has a squeak when clutching that does not belong there!

016.JPG

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

Ian_Courts

Swapped out the old lug bolts for stainless bolts and lug nuts. Fitted the D405 shod wheels at the same time :-)

20180929_191128.jpg

• Like 2

AMC RULES
20 hours ago, wallfish said:

That sucks! But on the bright side, the bottom inside part of your rim is more shiney and snow won't stick to it. :ychain:

Make sure those axles are smoooooth, especially check and file the key slot as it doesn't take much to ruin those seals. Been there done that.

:text-yeahthat: Plus, it's good measure to place a piece of black electrical tape over that key slot to ensure protection of that new seal during installation. 

• Like 2

PeacemakerJack

2C28E07E-AA87-487B-A5E5-D178A0E43386.jpeg.2d02b1a9b3a88413ea6241304f75bb06.jpeg

Had some quality time with my two younger sons this afternoon which included a bon fire for a couple of hours and Comanche was used to haul stuff back and forth from the house out to the pit! Great little machine and fun time with my little buddies!  They were foot racing each other on the trail thru the woods while I sat in the trailer with the timer!  I know—I probably should’ve been running with them...

• Like 2
  • Excellent 5
  • Haha 1

rjg854

You were running with your boys......

So it happened to be the timer, so what :ychain:

• Haha 1

WHX??
9 hours ago, Lane Ranger said:

Working on the 1964 Wheel Horse 854 this am to get the drive belt clutching improved. 

It has a squeak when clutching that does not belong there!

016.JPG

Them rears look pretty rad Lane whats the story on them? I think those are causing your clutch problem ...I just best come get them. :lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

WHX??
11 hours ago, Anglo Traction said:

Thanks Cleat, that tired old 5091 (on left in my first pic) looked like this when I got it-

DSC00359.JPG.50351cb255fc016de448c7723e31f67d.JPG

Inside was just as bad, there were a multitude of reassembly errors by the previous owner as well.

First run today of the replacement Tranny was good......got to go out again and again testing it...... oh the the things we have to endure ...seat time.! 

Looks to me Anglo you may have made  the proverbial silk purse out of a sows ear,  I'd normally say you best just lemme come get that but .....keep up the good work! :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Thanks 1

dells68

Finally got a chance to do some reassembly on the rj.  I pulled the wheels just after this pic, blended a little red into the patina and cleared it.  Can't wait to play with it again.  Slow, but sure!

6237BFC5-4AFC-4954-93C8-3182F597810B.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1

cleat

Looks good as does the monster 60" deck...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

mhlmeader

I have been monkeying with my rj58 today.....looks like im going to have to replace the brass bushing in the left rear axle, cause the new oil seal did not fix the leak.  Dang it!!!

So then i putz around the yard on it, brought it back in......then i notice it was grinding gears when i would shift from neutral to any gear, didnt do that before.  FOUR FOX SAKE!!  now what.  So i messed around with the clutch adjustment nuts in the back..still grinding.   Was starting to get frustrated.  Came inside and google searched my problem, naturally it brought me to this site.  Did some reading.   Well my belt guard is homemade.  Read that the belt guard helps to slow/stop the belt from spinning when is clutch engaged. To keep from grinding gears.   Went back out, installed guard, and could see how that would help rub on the belt when clutched.  Bada boom, bada bing...no more grindind!!!  And actually in the process of adjust my clutch, i can now take off at higher rpm, and not pop a wheelie!! 

Lol...so thats what i did to my wheel horse today.....thanks wheel horse forum..., mike

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

CountryRock

Workin on one of the GT2500s today.  Started by cleaning some electrical connections and swapping a battery out to troubleshoot the charging system.  Then I took the brake band off, cleaned it and relined it with one of Bob Maynard's new liners.  That's sitting to cure the adhesive now.  Got a new magnetron could coming for it soon so I can get rid of the points.  Eventually gonna flush the rear end on it.

Took the fender pan off and cleaned out more dirt from around the transmission.  Wondering what these wires are for.  Red and orange nutted together and two greens twisted together.  Just laying there.

IMG_20181001_134742000.jpg

IMG_20181001_144609176.jpg

Edited by CountryRock
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 1

WHX??

Most likely bypassed seat switch & possibly tail light wires?

• Like 1

CountryRock
21 minutes ago, WHX21 said:

Most likely bypassed seat switch & possibly tail light wires?

Not sure this model ever had a seat switch and pretty sure it didn't come with tail lights, but maybe the wire was there for them to be added.

EDIT:  Electrical schematic shows a seat switch with two black wires.

Edited by CountryRock