Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

squonk

I rolled a tractor out of the way to get some wire out of a box on a shelf for a TV antenna I was putting up. Then got a snarky comment that I was spending too much time working on tractors.That's what I did to my WH today.:(

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Tankman

Bit of rain today, wet ground, mowed Friday.

Took the grandsons to the barn, petted the Horses. Fuel, oil, air cleaners, tire air pressures.

Clean the deck, grease gun those zerks, a bit of belt dressing. Add some SeaFoam to the fuel. Yummy!

Gas can to our local airport, 100 Octane, low lead, zero, nada, no way, bad Ethanol. :angry-nono:

The pair love Stallions. Ok boys, Turtle Wax time. :handgestures-thumbupright:

The Horses deserve a rub down! Lookin' good! Rub those Stallions boys!

Charlie_Linus.jpg.d9972c2535f4da4927446157688fe795.jpg

Edited by Tankman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

AlexR

The slow process of adding diff oil, maybe I am doing it wrong? :think: :laughing-rofl:

P_20180819_200856_vHDR_On.jpg

953 nut
3 minutes ago, AlexC120 said:

slow process of adding diff oil

If you remove one of the bolts that hold the tool box to the transaxle it will give you a vent.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

ohiofarmer
On 8/18/2018 at 6:43 AM, rjg854 said:

Good luck!

The luck was not so good. I put the wrong belt on the deck and it worked OK for a while and then started slipping.Then I saw a routing diagram on one of my other parts decks and got the correct belt  routed correctly.  Anyway, a neighbor asked me how it was going and I told him the whole deal of having to drive the Raider 2 miles and he insisted on finishing with a "Big Green" mower.  Nice neighbor.   At least the Raider is now assembled correctly and I have one working mower. I could have another once i get spark to happen.

So now I am under the gun with a dead truck in the driveway. A motorcycle or two for transportation, A buddy who bought a new house he wants to move in to with no way to get the work done beforehand because of time restraints and his lack of experience in the work flow of a construction scheduling. ---- and It is way too much to balance. There are a few friends from church that I can borrow a truck from if need be.

It all hinges around a working truck or another Horse being put back together so I can have it at a location that needs to be mowed. Life will go on one way or another. Time to balance needs with wants.

ebinmaine

We used the B80 Patriot horse to unload and bring our auction purchases down to the workshop for future sorting.

IMG_20180821_151349572.jpg.0c4d5ebdfca0b3830f08053f7e7edab1.jpg

IMG_20180821_151358440.jpg.67aaef7ad259416cc8f24106af04a8c9.jpg

• Like 7

Mows4three

Hello everyone.  I'm pretty new to the forum but have been mighty inspired by what I've seen.  After smoking (literally smoking) an old Craftsman friction drive lawn tractor pulling a firewood cart around at my camp I found this forum and have been learning something from it almost every day. My research lead me to a 312-8 on Craig's List that I picked up from a nice fellow at an affordable price and I've been getting it set up to go to hunting camp as my prime mover hauling a log splitter and firewood cart.

I have done several things to it like get a new seat, paint the wheels and foot plates, added non-slip tape strips, changed the air filter, engine and gear oil, and put new tires in all four corners.  I also found a matching set on inside and outside rear weights on Craig's List.  A few weeks ago I built a 2" receiver hitch for it and then realized it might be too heavy in the rear when hauling the log splitter and a full firewood cart at camp. 

To counterbalance the rear weight loading I fabricated a 2" x 2" x 1/4" rack for the front of the tractor using the existing holes in the frame to mount it. Had to make 1/2" spacers to gain clearance for the bolts that the hood pivots on.   Found a friend with an 18" piece of 6" x 6" x 1/4" (29 lbs) square tube stock that he let me have (he's a great friend).  Welded caps on either end after filling with about 60 pounds of lead picked up from a local shooting range.  Also welded clips to hold the box to the weight rack and welded two clips to bolt it solidly to the rack.  Estimated total weight is around 90 pounds.  

I still need to drill holes in the rear clips to hold it in place.   Also plan to paint it black and will mount it on 2" strips of rubber inner tube.  Not being able to leave well enough alone (honestly, it runs in my family) I also welded a 12" length of 1/2" x 2" rectangular stock to the top of the weight box to serve as a tongue for a trailer ball (still need to drill the tongue out for a shackle or a ball hitch).  Could be useful for spotting trailers or getting towed out of a tough spot in the mountains. 

I haven't run any critical welds in 35 years so be kind as you look at my photos.  I'm older now, not as steady of hand as I once was, and my eyesight isn't as good as when I was working as a steelworker.   Anyway, thought someone else might take my idea and run with it for their own tractor.  

Thanks for all of your great posts.  This is a super place to pick up information and shared knowledge.  A pretty cool forum.....

Cheers!

Dave

IMG_6872.jpg

IMG_6873.jpg

IMG_6870.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 6
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
10 minutes ago, Mows4three said:

Not being able to leave well enough alone (honestly, it runs in my family)

Ssuuure it does Dave.

Also, you're a guy. We are not good at leave well enough alone.

:P

Love that front weight box man...

• Like 2

953 nut
49 minutes ago, Mows4three said:

This is a super place to pick up information and shared knowledge.  A pretty cool forum.

:WRS:                                :text-coolphotos:

Thank you for the compliments on our forum, our moderators do a great job of keeping us in line.      :ychain:

• Like 1

AlexR
1 hour ago, Mows4three said:

I haven't run any critical welds in 35 years so be kind as you look at my photos.  I'm older now, not as steady of hand as I once was, and my eyesight isn't as good as when I was working as a steelworker.  

IMG_6872.jpg

IMG_6873.jpg

IMG_6870.jpg

I don't think anybody can come close to criticizing those welds. They are great welds!!

Edited by AlexC120
  • Like 2

Machineguy

Sat on the engine-less, wheel-less, hoodless WH 700 looking at all the painted and prepped parts for assembly. Just thinking how cool it’s gonna be to drive it for the first time. Not to mention how cool the K321 will sound! 

• Like 2

WHX??

Lookin mighty fine from here Mows...mighty fine:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

WHX??

Started stripping down this old girl for a total resto.. will do a thread once I really tie into it and make some real progress. A 1055 PO franken short frame with a big block. Thankfully have plenty of parts to draw from. Once I get the hydraulics  straightened out on a 1257 this project gets my full attention this winter.

20180819_184048.jpg

20180821_181902.jpg

Edited by WHX20
  • Like 5

WHX??

Oh my .... is that JB weld on that S/G mount?!?! I got my work cut out!

20180821_173928.jpg

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Skwerl58

I picked up a 48" Disc harrow yesterday and got all the blades freed up and turning today. Installed a new deck drive belt and   cleaned the brake lining  and  adjusted them on my 1986 414-8. After mowing I washed the mower and took some pictures. I now have a tiller, cultivator, plow, disc harrow and push blade for the tractor.

trac.jpg

trac 2.jpg

• Like 3

Dadlife520H

Changed out a bent, welded, and totally non functional steering shaft on the suburban... turns out the 4 center teeth on the steering gear are basically gone. Now to find a new one......:unsure:

• Like 1

oneroadkingman

Dad life what year is your 520 H I might be able to hook you up with somebody that can help you out

oneroadkingman

Does anybody know I'm working on my 93 520 h how to remove this nut? It's the one  that you set the parking brake with  I'm trying to get the side panel off When you put a socket to it it just spins the whole thing I cannot get it apart thanks

20180823_204617.jpg

oneroadkingman

I found a leak on this hydraulic lift Ram does this look like it was welded or something once before is this normal looking because it looks like it's leaking either from the weld or where the fitting screws into it is there an O-ring inside there maybe that I can replace thanks

20180823_204511.jpg

20180823_204443.jpg

pfrederi
19 hours ago, oneroadkingman said:

I found a leak on this hydraulic lift Ram does this look like it was welded or something once before is this normal looking because it looks like it's leaking either from the weld or where the fitting screws into it is there an O-ring inside there maybe that I can replace thanks

20180823_204511.jpg

20180823_204443.jpg

These fittings were originally ORB (O ring Boss) so yes there should be an O ring in there.  Hard to tell from the photos what exactly they may have change in the "repair" job

• Like 1

19richie66

Not a whole lot left of the fitting either.

Edited by 19richie66

cleat
On 8/24/2018 at 1:09 PM, oneroadkingman said:

Does anybody know I'm working on my 93 520 h how to remove this nut? It's the one  that you set the parking brake with  I'm trying to get the side panel off When you put a socket to it it just spins the whole thing I cannot get it apart thanks

20180823_204617.jpg

Drive the little roll pin out of the parking brake knob then the side cover will come off.

At that point you will see the other end of the bolt you want to remove.

Roll pin may be rusted, soak it with penetrating oil first then use a good pin punch to remove.

Cleat

• Like 2

Dadlife520H
On 8/24/2018 at 1:05 PM, oneroadkingman said:

Dad life what year is your 520 H I might be able to hook you up with somebody that can help you out

1988. However it's my 1960 suburban that's got the broken pieces.  However I did manage to find one. Picking it up tomorrow. Thank you anyway, appreciate it! 

cschannuth

I finally installed one of Matt’s pedal kits that I bought a while back on the 520. I still need to tweak it a bit but I really like it.  The hardest part was getting the roll pin out of the parking brake lever, believe it not. A couple months of soaking with Kroil and a pin punch and it finally came out. 

• Like 1

CountryRock

Fresh oil and filter for the 246H.  Fresh oil, fuel, fuel filter, some fuel line, spark plug change, brake adjustment and general cleaning for the GT2500 that runs.  Put some seafom in the gas in hopes that it will iron out the carb issue that causes it to die if its not at idle or wide open.  Probably will have to rebuild it anyways.  Also, It seems that the GT2500 isn't putting much juice out to the battery while its running.  Meter showed only 12.5 volts at wide open.  Still need to put the PTO clutch back on the GT2500 too.

IMG_20180826_155838195_HDR.jpg