Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

davem1111
10 hours ago, c-series don said:

@davem1111 @ebinmaine I believe there were only around 250 520-8’s produced. Someone here knows the exact number, maybe @cleat he’s a 520 guy. I can’t for the life of me figure out why they didn’t come with electric lift? That would make a really good rototilling tractor. Also think that’s a good tractor to put a loader on, with the gear reduction steering, forward swept front axle and heavy duty spindles. One way or the other we are going to need pictures of this 520-8, mainly because we like pictures!😂

Well, obviously it has the forward swept front axle. Don't know much else at this point except what I can tell from this picture. Sounds like I should probably rescue it... :ph34r::D

IMG_0821(1).JPEG.741a87f3fbaceec54f2fcb7903756f30.JPEG

8 hours ago, Bill D said:

Agreed.  Worth $400.  Probably needs an ignition module.  Definitely worth fixing.  Did it have the gear reduction steering?

I didn't have much time to look it over, and the guy was in a big hurry - he needed to finish mowing and drive 90 minutes up to North Indy for something. I'll probably give him a call to see if I can stop by again soon for a closer look.

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, davem1111 said:

Well, obviously it has the forward swept front axle. Don't know much else at this point except what I can tell from this picture. Sounds like I should probably rescue it... :ph34r::D

I didn't have much time to look it over, and the guy was in a big hurry - he needed to finish mowing and drive 90 minutes up to North Indy for something. I'll probably give him a call to see if I can stop by again soon for a closer look.

At $400 you CAN'T lose money on that. 

The front axle is worth most of that. 

The rear wheels are $100 more.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Pullstart

@c-series don I believe the 520-8 production number was 226.  

• Like 4

EB-80/8inPA
3 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

So, today I took the bell off and "machined" the clutch face. 

Man, I like how you did that.  It machines itself!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Monstrosity
9 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

I have to respectfully disagree for several reasons. 

First and foremost it's extremely important to remember that (to the best of my knowledge) you are a he and she is a she. Those circumstances automatically dictate that she wins. 

But....

In your clear concise inarguably accurate defense you're most assuredly missing at LEAST 4 tractors. 

You have a plow. (For Morgan). 

You pulled a cart. 

You have 3 mowing decks. 

These poor poor forlorn implements are awaiting a Horse of their own.  

Feel free to share my infallible incredibly logical arguments with your Other Half. 

It won't get you anywhere but do feel free.   

:lol:

Yeah about that lol I tried that approach already success rate 0.00009%

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

D_Mac

Carb and head removal on the free 310-8. 

20230513_164333.jpg

20230513_164343.jpg

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, Monstrosity said:

Yeah about that lol I tried that approach already success rate 0.00009%

That's NOT zero so I'd call it a win 

• Haha 2

TonyToro
On 5/12/2023 at 9:26 PM, Tonytoro416 said:

Still doing small things to the raider project but getting closer everyday.  It runs pretty good for a Tecumseh lol.  Still have to trim new throttle and choke cables to fit and tidy up some wiring to my liking.  
The one picture is a little clue to yet another project I started as if I needed more irons in the fire.  The last three weeks have been 70-80 hour weeks spreading fertilizer

IMG_0565.jpeg

Very Nice!! 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

Sparky

Starting a front tire swap for the 414. The front wheels are not correct and have some sorta spacer to make em fit. So the shot tires on the correct wheels need to come off…out comes the Harbor Freight tire remover/installer. 
  What do you think the crap is that’s in the first tire? Old tire sealant? I scraped out the wheel and it looks like it’ll clean up with some elbow grease.

IMG_8146.jpeg

IMG_8148.jpeg

IMG_8149.jpeg

IMG_8151.jpeg

IMG_8151.jpeg

IMG_8152.jpeg

IMG_8153.jpeg

IMG_8154.jpeg

IMG_8156.jpeg

IMG_8158.jpeg

IMG_8147.jpeg

IMG_8150.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Excellent 2
  • Sad 1

SylvanLakeWH

Looks like old fixaflat to me... :(

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Sparky

The wheels actually cleaned up pretty well. This is after a good ol’ scrubbing with simple green. 
   Next weekend will be sanding and wire wheel work and then get some paint on em! 

IMG_8159.jpeg

IMG_8160.jpeg

IMG_8161.jpeg

IMG_8162.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Excellent 1

Handy Don
3 hours ago, Sparky said:

Next weekend will be sanding and wire wheel work and then get some paint on em! 

I'd consider “e-tanking” them first, if you have the setup.

• Like 1

kpinnc
2 hours ago, squonk said:

All you need is a plastic garbage can, battery charger, wash soda, chunk of steel and some wire! 

Baking soda works in a pinch as well. 

Don't put galvanized anything in there! It makes a goopier mess than what you scrubbed off the wheels!

Sacrificial metal should be non-plated ferrous only. Absolutely no stainless! Just a rusty old pile of wire or similar. Beat the loose rust off and use it. 

Edited by kpinnc
  • Like 1

squonk

Another 5025 going together!

IMG_20230514_165744943.jpg.f1e6738b6ed63563acffefe7e83a9816.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 4

Handy Don
40 minutes ago, 76c12091520h said:

best quality of cut deck Toro / Wheel Horse ever offered

Absolutely agree. I set up one of these on my son’s 312-H and even his neighbors comment on the the smooth cut and not having to handle clippings.

They are heavy, though 😉

davem1111

Lots of WH work this weekend. I'm going to be away the next 2 weekends in a row so I was trying to cover some ground. 

First, the blades were dull on both of my 48" SD decks, so I pulled those, pulled the blades and sharpened them. I had been curious as to why, not only was the deck on the GT-1848 not cutting well (assumed the blades were dull) but it was leaving a lot of grass right behind me like it was an RD. Then I remembered that it was a partly refurbed deck and was still missing the baffles (all completely gone).  So I used the other deck to make a cardboard template to cut some new material to make baffles for it. I have several weights of material to use - will probably go with the lighter stuff first because it's easiest to cut to shape, but may not hold up. I'm not sure how much pressure the grass thrown by the blades puts on these, but it will be easy enough to go back and do the same with some heavier material if these don't hold up.

In the meantime, I had noticed that the hydraulic lift wasn't working on the GT - found that the hydraulics were fine, but the threaded hook or loop that hangs down to attach the chain from the arm to was broken.  I stole one end off of a turnbuckle that was the same size & thread, measured the "up" and "down" heights on the 312-A manual lift, and adjusted the hook. Gave everything a good greasing and PB spray while I was under there. Was using that tractor today to pull my dump trailer and move some brush out to my burn pile, and pull my daughter's boyfriend's project car so I could mow where it's been sitting since I moved it a couple weeks ago. :rolleyes:

Also, the 312-A hadn't been running well. I cleaned the carb last weekend but it was still sputtering a lot and today she wouldn't start at all. Took the spark plug out, grounded it against the engine and cranked it a few times. The spark didn't look quite right. The nearest thing I had on hand was the spark plug from the B-100 I'm working on, so I did the same thing and the spark looked better so I popped that in there. She started right up. I only ran it enough to test the deck and put it back in the garage.  Wondering what the implications are of running the wrong spark plug in one of these Kohlers?  I.e., plug for a 10hp in a 12hp? The one that came out of the 312-A is a Mega Fire "SE10H". I haven't checked but I'm also wondering if THAT was even the right one to use in that engine.  I'll buy a good, correct one ASAP.

Oh, and the guy who has the 520-H today said he was tired and very busy, so we're going to talk after I get back from my trip. He said he wouldn't sell it to someone else before then. I hope he keeps his word on that. Hoping to pick up that tractor for a good price ("good" - for me :D )

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

squonk
6 hours ago, WHX?? said:

Had some wrangling going on here tonite... bunch a dammed horse thieves...:ph34r:

20230514_205758.jpg

Well we run em off and they was so skereed they dropped a D tiller and a Pond bhind and ran...:lol:

All he's missing is a pair of spurs! 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

76c12091520h
9 hours ago, WHX?? said:

Had some wrangling going on here tonite... bunch a dammed horse thieves...:ph34r:

20230514_205758.jpg

Well we run em off and they was so skereed they dropped a D tiller and a Pond bhind and ran...:lol:

20230514_211306.jpg

20230514_211804.jpg

20230514_211810.jpg

WHX , what size/ brand of  front tires are you running on the 520 loader and how do you like them?

TJ5208

Got me some ags.

20230515_095552.jpg

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1

TJ5208
On 5/12/2023 at 9:40 PM, c-series don said:

@davem1111 @ebinmaine I believe there were only around 250 520-8’s produced. Someone here knows the exact number, maybe @cleat he’s a 520 guy. I can’t for the life of me figure out why they didn’t come with electric lift? That would make a really good rototilling tractor. Also think that’s a good tractor to put a loader on, with the gear reduction steering, forward swept front axle and heavy duty spindles. One way or the other we are going to need pictures of this 520-8, mainly because we like pictures!😂

225 were made.

• Like 1

TJ5208
On 5/13/2023 at 8:30 AM, davem1111 said:

Let me know where it's at and it won't be sitting there anymoreB)