Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

spitfire
1 hour ago, Handy Don said:

Maybe someone on the forum more familiar with the Euro models will chime in on the front weight. Possibly locally sourced and sold with the WH? The black paint, however, would suggest it was from another brand of tractor. The holder, though, did seem to match the tractor pretty well so either a conscientious builder or a factory item. Another example is here.

Can you still get the rear weights? If they are the iron type, they, too, are prized acquisitions.

I don’t have a tractor that would have the same belt covers, but plenty of members here do. If you have metal skills, and time, you are definitely well-positioned to tackle making them. This would be a good post in the wanted section. Meantime, here is the OM and other useful documents for the 702. Search the Files (Documents) section of the forum for other documents of interest!

20230511_232503.jpg

spitfire
1 hour ago, Handy Don said:

Maybe someone on the forum more familiar with the Euro models will chime in on the front weight. Possibly locally sourced and sold with the WH? The black paint, however, would suggest it was from another brand of tractor. The holder, though, did seem to match the tractor pretty well so either a conscientious builder or a factory item. Another example is here.

Can you still get the rear weights? If they are the iron type, they, too, are prized acquisitions.

I don’t have a tractor that would have the same belt covers, but plenty of members here do. If you have metal skills, and time, you are definitely well-positioned to tackle making them. This would be a good post in the wanted section. Meantime, here is the OM and other useful documents for the 702. Search the Files (Documents) section of the forum for other documents of interest!

I did buy the 3 weights front and wheel, with a plow ( not wheel horse). I just left them behind to get them later.

To much for my poor old volvo with 460 000km a trailer and my family+ dog on board..

20230511_232503.jpg

Edited by spitfire
  • Like 2

Handy Don
3 minutes ago, spitfire said:

20230511_232503.jpg

Those are very desirable weights. Usually ~23 kg per wheel. Around me they go for USD150 a pair or more.

• Thanks 1

spitfire

I drove over 1200 miles to get them 😁

Im sorry i did a dubbel post on that...

IMG-20230508-WA0008.jpeg

Edited by spitfire
  • Like 5
  • Excellent 1

Handy Don
7 minutes ago, spitfire said:

old volvo with 460 000km

Another Volvo guy! My 2004 v70 just passed 485,000 km! 

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

spitfire

I hope this is not to personal, i just whanted to share a picture of my adventure.

Thel me if i am to off topic with my posts and if my englisch is to rubbish.

I do like the return i have from this forum, its fun and full of nice and helpinging poeple! 

Edited by spitfire
  • Like 1

Handy Don

There is an entire topic here on Red Square devoted to “what is in my rear view mirror” where folks show what they are bringing home.

We love pictures, here. Especially about acquisitions and adventures with your WH tractors. Seeing yours in such an interesting setting is perfectly appropriate.

My suggestions, though, are:

- if the discussion veers off into more than what you did today, then you should create a new topic with an appropriate subject line

- If you go to the “Store” section, you can become a supporter of the site (and get your name/handle in red). That also lets you post more pictures!

- spend some time searching for topics of interest and reading the threads you find to get a feel for the atmosphere as well as learn stuff

- read the guidelines

:)

• Like 1

spitfire

Ok, i allready did some reading before.

Weights are on topic, new tractors are rear view mirror?

Verry good name " rear view mirror" lol!

ohiofarmer

. Not a great picture here at all, but Eric named after you know who has a collection of parts and soon will be wearing some blue engine tin's from Maine. The little guy has a four speed and an eight horsepower engine not original to the Raider Ten .  The starter solenoid clicked but no crank. 

I took the solenoid off and drilled a tiny hole through the dome of metal and put some Deep Creep inside.  Cranked and started right now. This is the second solenoid that responded to penetrant. I figure made in USA fifty years ago is worth bringing back to life. 

Maybe make this a run around rig. Pull the trailer. Attach an ice cream freezer. Spray the yard.

At least the lift makes it easy on the old back....

IMG_20230512_200805.jpg

IMG_20230512_202059.jpg

Edited by ohiofarmer
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 6

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, ohiofarmer said:

Eric named after you know who has a collection of parts and soon will be wearing some blue engine tin's from Maine

Well..... I'll be..... :lol:

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

davem1111

Today I swapped out the PTO clutch plate on my GT-1848 with one that I repaired with Pliobond 25 and a friction disk that I got for less than $10.  It worked great.  I have a thread going about this topic.

I did find that the PTO bell surface was scored but I had another one here that was in good shape so I put that one on.

Also, I stopped at a neighbor's house when I saw the guy out mowing.  He was on a Simplicity and has about 3 others sitting around, but he also has a Toro/WH 520-8 sitting there that I had noticed before and hasn't moved in quite a while. Of course, I was curious about it.  He didn't have time to talk but said to call and leave my number so I did. He called me back this evening. He's had it for about 30 years, but couldn't tell me what year it was, but he's probably the first owner. Said it runs but dies after a while. He's replaced the regulator and some other parts but it's still not right. It's pretty rusty, paint flaking off. I asked him what he might be willing to take to part with it, and he said $800.  I bit my tongue and choked back a laugh... but when I told him that wasn't what I would be willing to pay for it, he said, "well.... I might take half that...".   That's still a "nope" for me.

I didn't get a look at the deck, but it probably needs work too. Oh, I just remembered that I snapped a quick picture of it.  Looks like the deck is solid at least on the right side, but missing the belt guard. Seat doesn't appear to have any cracks... Tires aren't flat or bald, would need to check for dry rot....  I'm thinking if he'd go for $250 or $300, the deck alone is probably worth that if the spindles are good and there's no other rust or cracks I couldn't see. I could use parts from this for the 416-H and B-100 I'm working on. I just bought 2 new rear tires for the 416-H. 

Oh, another thing - I stopped at a yard sale because I noticed some tractor-sized looking tires and wheels. The guy had two 24x8-12 fronts and two 24x11-12 rears that he said were off of (he thought) a Honda ATV. Rubber was in pretty good shape, with knobbies. They had 4 lug rims with a large center hole, so those wouldn't work on a WH, but the tires might, if they didn't hit the fenders. Priced at $100 for the 4, said he'd take $75. I said I'd think about it. Then as I was leaving, I saw a truck & utility trailer around back with a Toro/WH tractor on the trailer. I think it was someone else there checking out the yard sale, but didn't have time to ask about it.  Dang, it's hard NOT to notice these tractors... it's almost like they are calling out, "Save me! Save me!"  B)

• Like 2

davem1111
6 hours ago, Pullstart said:

My wife responded to a local social media post.  Garage sale in a neighboring town that I wanted to visit anyway for the farm store.  Got some goodies for $25.  8 speed trans, heavy hubs, wheels tires and chains, plastic :wh: weights and a fuel tank for a C series.  The lady says “my husband told me if you want the rest of the chassis for it we can bring it to you.”

:banana-ninja:

Great find, and a great price for what you got. :greetings-clappingyellow:

That reminds me of a joke:

"Thank you for explaining the word 'bargain' - it means a great deal to me"

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

ebinmaine
10 minutes ago, davem1111 said:

520-8 sitting there****

. I could use parts from

WHOA!!!

Them's a RARE one Dave! 

IMHO that's no parts rig.  

• Like 2

c-series don

@davem1111 @ebinmaine I believe there were only around 250 520-8’s produced. Someone here knows the exact number, maybe @cleat he’s a 520 guy. I can’t for the life of me figure out why they didn’t come with electric lift? That would make a really good rototilling tractor. Also think that’s a good tractor to put a loader on, with the gear reduction steering, forward swept front axle and heavy duty spindles. One way or the other we are going to need pictures of this 520-8, mainly because we like pictures!😂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Desko

Got the onan put back together and back into my 520 today and got the 60" put on. It's an awesome set up!

IMG_4935.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Excellent 3

WHGuy413

No kiddos home and no baseball tonight so I finally got some time to work on my friends basket case c-105. Happy to say I got it to crank over and now have spark. Hate the tractors with all

the wiring. Bring me back to the good

ole days.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

kpinnc
2 hours ago, Tonytoro416 said:

Still doing small things to the raider project but getting closer everyday.

That thing is beautiful! Well done! :thumbs:

• Like 2

Tonytoro416
3 minutes ago, kpinnc said:

That thing is beautiful! Well done! :thumbs:

Thank you so much. Means a lot.  Couldn’t have done it without all you guys help and knowledge 

• Like 3

Bill D
2 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

WHOA!!!

Them's a RARE one Dave! 

IMHO that's no parts rig.  

Agreed.  Worth $400.  Probably needs an ignition module.  Definitely worth fixing.  Did it have the gear reduction steering?

• Like 3

8ntruck

Back in our Michigan base of operations - that's where the Wheel Horses are.  Got Morgan the 14-8 woken up from his long winter nap.  Just checked the oil & gas, turned the key and he happily cranked over.  Took a little bit of cranking, 'cause I had run the carb dry last fall, but he fired up without any complaint.  Since the front blade was still on him, we pushed some gravel piled up in a few spots in the yard that the snow plow left behind.  

Dropped the blade added the cart and played pick up sticks with the sticks that the trees dropped last winter.

Next job was to mow.  Well, the 42" RD deck was leaning against the back shed wall - behind the 48" project deck and the extra plow blade that will eventually get converted into a belly blade.  Terrible planning on my part last fall when I put that stuff away.

My wife walks up as I am trying to dig out the 42" deck and start talking about the changes we need to do in the shed to better organize it.  This discussion leads to how many decks do I have, and since I only have two tractors, which deck am I going to get rid of.  I says I'm not getting rid of any.  She asks why?  I says that they each do something the others can't do.  She asks what do you mean?  So I ask her why she has a bunch of embroidery hoops for her sewing machines?  Well, she says, they each do something the others don't.  QED, end of discussion.

42" RD deck got mounted on Morgan, we mowed the lawn.  On the way back to the shed, I notice that the deck drive belt has flipped upside down in the PTO pulley.  I also thought I saw some cracks on the inside of the deck belt when I put it on the tractor.  Got to chase those two items down.

• Like 5

ebinmaine
8 hours ago, Tonytoro416 said:

the raider project

:greetings-clappingorange:

• Like 1

ebinmaine
6 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

QED, end of discussion

I have to respectfully disagree for several reasons. 

First and foremost it's extremely important to remember that (to the best of my knowledge) you are a he and she is a she. Those circumstances automatically dictate that she wins. 

But....

In your clear concise inarguably accurate defense you're most assuredly missing at LEAST 4 tractors. 

You have a plow. (For Morgan). 

You pulled a cart. 

You have 3 mowing decks. 

These poor poor forlorn implements are awaiting a Horse of their own.  

Feel free to share my infallible incredibly logical arguments with your Other Half. 

It won't get you anywhere but do feel free.   

:lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

davem1111
46 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

In your clear concise inarguably accurate defense you're most assuredly missing at LEAST 4 tractors. 

I like that logic! :greetings-clappingyellow:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1