Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

ebinmaine
8 minutes ago, WHGuy413 said:

Aiden also finally installed his stack I got him for Christmas on his 856. It sounds pretty sweet

Niiiiice!!

Hey when he's starting that in the video is the throttle up enough?

Sounds almost like it's trying to start at an idle speed.....?

By the way....

Please DO keep posting as many YT videos on RS as you can.  Especially the "shorts". 

YouTube doesn't bother to notify me you've put one up.  

WHX??

Kemp stack ther WHGuy??? If so you need to send Jim @jimkemp

that last pic. Smile on that kids face is priceless! 

• Like 1
  • Heart 4

WHGuy413
8 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

Kemp stack ther WHGuy??? If so you need to send Jim @jimkemp

that last pic. Smile on that kids face is priceless! 

You know it!

• Like 1

WHGuy413
15 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Niiiiice!!

Hey when he's starting that in the video is the throttle up enough?

Sounds almost like it's trying to start at an idle speed.....?

By the way....

Please DO keep posting as many YT videos on RS as you can.  Especially the "shorts". 

YouTube doesn't bother to notify me you've put one up.  

He has no clue what he’s talking about 😂. When he says “he’s gotta get it started” the things running. That tractor is one of the smoothest and fastest starting tractors we have. Pull the choke and touch the key and it’s running instantly. It idles real low. 

• Like 3

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, WHGuy413 said:

He has no clue what he’s talking about 😂. When he says “he’s gotta get it started” the things running. That tractor is one of the smoothest and fastest starting tractors we have. Pull the choke and touch the key and it’s running instantly. It idles real low. 

Fast starting and smooth running is excellent 👍.  

Low idle..... Not so much.  

Just be sure both they and you never ever let a splash lube engine run at anything below 1200 RPM for more than a few seconds.  

Not enough oil or air cooling at those RPMs.   

• Like 3

WHGuy413
3 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Fast starting and smooth running is excellent 👍.  

Low idle..... Not so much.  

Just be sure both they and you never ever let a splash lube engine run at anything below 1200 RPM for more than a few seconds.  

Not enough oil or air cooling at those RPMs.   

That’s very true. In the video it’s idling right off the bat. Not sure if it’s too low or not. It seems decent to me maybe a little bit low. I should borrow a tester from work. Maybe what made me think it was idling low is cause it’s so quiet. 

• Like 1

WHX??
2 minutes ago, WHGuy413 said:

😂. It idles real low. 

Well then please advise him  it should not idle below what guys... 1100 rpm? I forget the number. But remind him these motors are splash lubed and need idle rpm. 

Eb got faster fings...:lol:

• Haha 2

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, WHGuy413 said:

That’s very true. In the video it’s idling right off the bat. Not sure if it’s too low or not. It seems decent to me maybe a little bit low. I should borrow a tester from work. Maybe what made me think it was idling low is cause it’s so quiet. 

Then 8s are quiet for sure .... it should be a tad bit higher I think.... 

WHX??

Maybe a tach on the next birthday or Xmas list then?  Teach him how to set max/min rpm. 

They can be had cheap and some quality bonding time teaching him. 

Edited by WHX??
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 2

WHGuy413
17 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

Maybe a tach on the next birthday or Xmas list then?  Teach him how to set max/min rpm. 

I’m gonna see if I can borrow one and we can set it.

• Like 4

ebinmaine
7 minutes ago, WheelHorse_Kid said:

We got a little bit of snow we didn’t know about and I wanted to plow but my 604 wouldn’t start.Me and my dad pulled the hood off and took the spark plug out and cleaned it and then I tried but didn’t start.We kept trying and it finally started but every time I gave it throttle it would start hunting for rpm.but I managed to plow the driveway.

Likely easy fixes there Man.  

Piece of great advice.  

ALWAYS keep extra plugs on hand. 

I have several tractors and other small engines that will actually die in operation. 

Clean the plug .. nope. 

New plug. ?

Starts every time.  

I've gone past the point of ever cleaning a spark plug anymore.  

They're about $4 each.  

$4 ISN'T worth the headaches and time to try to diagnose.  

Most of the machines we have get a new every 2 or 3 years just .... because.   

The RPM hunting may be a grubby carb.  

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

WHGuy413
1 minute ago, ebinmaine said:

Likely easy fixes there Man.  

Piece of great advice.  

ALWAYS keep extra plugs on hand. 

I have several tractors and other small engines that will actually die in operation. 

Clean the plug .. nope. 

New plug. ?

Starts every time.  

I've gone past the point of ever cleaning a spark plug anymore.  

They're about $4 each.  

$4 ISN'T worth the headaches and time to try to diagnose.  

Most of the machines we have get a new every 2 or 3 years just .... because.   

The RPM hunting may be a grubby carb.  

We are working on trying to get a few more things in stock. If not tractor supply is less than 5 minutes from the house lol. We are going to clean the carb next time he’s home and probably change the fuel line and filter. 

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

Raposo

Ripping the foot pads and floor boards off the DXI for some paint and Re installation 

DDEF4271-F7DE-4EED-8EB8-A34D62E07C95.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Excellent 1

OoPEZoO
16 hours ago, WHGuy413 said:

I’m gonna see if I can borrow one and we can set it.

16 hours ago, WHX?? said:

Got a smart phone?  Download a free Video Tachometer app instead.  There are a bunch out there.  They give you a simple interface that allows you to adjust the frame rate adjustment through the camera and reads out the RPM.  Its best to draw a capital letter T on the flywheel grate, then adjust the frame rate until the T stops spinning......read the number, and that's your RPM. 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 4
  • Thanks 2

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, OoPEZoO said:

Got a smart phone?  Download a free Video Tachometer app instead.  There are a bunch out there.  They give you a simple interface that allows you to adjust the frame rate adjustment through the camera and reads out the RPM.  Its best to draw a capital letter T on the flywheel grate, then adjust the frame rate until the T stops spinning......read the number, and that's your RPM. 

I did not know that was a thing!

• Like 1

Handy Don
1 hour ago, OoPEZoO said:

Been doing this for a couple of years. I now paint a marker on the spinning parts so it’s part of look!

BTW, i also used this technique on my drill press to create a chart of the mandrel RPMs with the different belt configurations. I turned out that the motor’s speed was NOT the 1725 RPM on the data plate so my “calculated” results were off--the measured results are great.

I go in reverse, though, for the tractors. I set the RPM I want to hit and adjust the linkage to get that speed. It does help to have either an assistant, or a holder for the smart phone!

• Like 2

ebinmaine
27 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

Been doing this for a couple of years. I now paint a marker on the spinning parts so it’s part of look!

BTW, i also used this technique on my drill press to create a chart of the mandrel RPMs with the different belt configurations. I turned out that the motor’s speed was NOT the 1725 RPM on the data plate so my “calculated” results were off--the measured results are great.

I go in reverse, though, for the tractors. I set the RPM I want to hit and adjust the linkage to get that speed. It does help to have either an assistant, or a holder for the smart phone!

Can you recommend a particular app for android?

• Like 1

Handy Don
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

Can you recommend a particular app for android?

Wow, I just looked through the Google Play site and was very disappointed.

On my (7 year old) iPhone, the app adjusts BOTH a strobing flash and the camera (i.e. strobe brightness and frequency, camera aperture and shutter speed) so you are seeing the rotating part on the screen. The Android apps all seem to simply manipulate the speed of the strobe but you have to look directly at the part to see it “stop motion” (and you have to lower the ambient light to get a good view).

This one is closest to what I use and there is a video showing it in use.

Wheelhorse#1

I tried the phone app.Didn’t care for it.

Bought a meter  off the jungle site ,under 20 bucks.It works decent.

If your just going to use it once in blue moon the phone app should be sufficient.

Edited by Wheelhorse#1
  • Like 1

Ed Kennell
13 hours ago, Shynon said:

Put a side mirror on the snowblower cab

Cool cab, is it your build Tom?   :handgestures-thumbupright:   Did you run out of red paint? :ychain:

• Haha 3

Lane Ranger
On 1/16/2023 at 8:57 PM, WHGuy413 said:

We are working on trying to get a few more things in stock. If not tractor supply is less than 5 minutes from the house lol. We are going to clean the carb next time he’s home and probably change the fuel line and filter. 

I recommend using Seafoam in your gasoline.  Good stuff on old motors.  Also try non ethanol gas if you have it near you.    

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

Shynon
2 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

Cool cab, is it your build Tom?   :handgestures-thumbupright:   Did you run out of red paint? :ychain:

You can probably tell by the color what it is, have been to busy to paint