Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

8ntruck
On 1/14/2023 at 8:21 AM, lynnmor said:

I needed to replace a bell, so I bought from a vendor on this site.  Turned out that he had in stock two of them with the same abuse.  In order to cause the wear on the bell, someone adjusted the PTO till the hoop was pushing it instead of replacing the broken pin..  It seems to be a widespread problem with that pin breaking and that there is no mechanical ability.  The fix for a bell worn to the groove is replacement, it would be a project to make a cap to replace the missing metal.

Yup, the fix for a worn off groove is usually replacement.  However, the C195 uses a conical PTO that is unique to the C195.  They are rare enough that doing some machining to repair one is worth considering.

• Like 1

GAJoe
9 hours ago, Lee1977 said:

The wear on the end of the coneIs usually caused bt a worn or bent spiral pin in the loop or the c-clip came out of the short shaft. Those c-clip grooves do wear out 

I have replace the short shaft 2 times in the last .46 years on my C-120.

I don't see signs of ware on any other part.20230114_082029.jpg.585c025dd564562872cb23becc39bb0f.jpg20230114_082122.jpg.77df7837dd4b8cd1868c2ec377649cbe.jpg

I plan on replacing the cone with one from Eric. Then I can change the bearing if needed.

Edited by GAJoe
added details.
  • Like 1

Tonytoro416

Looks to work well. Hope your dog is ok now.  I recently haven’t had real good luck in that department

• Sad 5

GAJoe
33 minutes ago, Tonytoro416 said:

Looks to work well. Hope your dog is ok now.  I recently haven’t had real good luck in that department

Thanks

He's home on the mend. He slept well last night. He's moving a little slowly but he's done all of his bodily functions today.

Edited by GAJoe
  • Like 1
  • Heart 6

ebinmaine
49 minutes ago, GAJoe said:

built a tire changer

Excellent 👍

• Like 2

WHGuy413

Sorry to hear about your pup. I had one of those tire changers from harbor freight and it was horrible. Yours looks like it works much better.

• Like 4

kpinnc
4 hours ago, GAJoe said:

I built a tire changer that mounts in the hitch receiver on my truck

I have a Harbor Freight changer, and it works great. But I like how you hold those beads back better than mine! :thumbs:

Glad to hear pup is doing better!

• Like 3

Horse Newbie
3 hours ago, WHGuy413 said:

I had one of those tire changers from harbor freight and it was horrible. 

:text-yeahthat:

• Like 3

ebinmaine
6 hours ago, WHGuy413 said:

tire changers

4 hours ago, kpinnc said:

changer

3 hours ago, Horse Newbie said:

:text-yeahthat:

We have the larger size manual changer for full size tires. 

It does work just fine and it's a serious workout too. 😂

The smaller ones I break the bead with the bigger changer, then use levers to remove/install the tire.  

BIG thing to remember is that the changer MUST be very firmly attached to a solid object like the floor or vehicle. 

A pallet holding it is an exercise in expletives creation.  

ranger

Sorry to hear about your pup, glad he’s doing better now. I had to use my homemade tyre/tire changer that attaches to the car the other day when I got a puncture, (car, not horse). I couldn’t break the bead on one side, (alloy wheel). Didn’t want to damage the wheel by hammering a tyre lever in. Then I had a @peter lena moment, “LUBE IT”. A quick squirt of the infamous “WD 40”, a couple of minutes later and the bead broke as easy as anything! And I have the proper tyre lube/soap for removal/installation, but it’s not much use until the bead is broken! The spray penetrated immediately. Your use of the clamps is a great idea, I have similar ones, the fixed ends are removable , they just unclip and can be reversed and fitted at the other end of the rail so they push outwards, they worked a treat to spread and hold the tyre walls apart for better access inside for the repair.

Doug🇬🇧

Edited by ranger
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

peter lena

@ranger glad that helped you out , my regular  reference to  lubrication kind , is not an insanity , but my view of a long neglected area / spot . another guy just up the road from me , typically has a long  neglected  lawn tractor , any time I hear a screaming  belt drive trying to engage  / work , I  know its that guy , beating on his  unit again , faded rusty paint , barely  operates , just don,t  understand how you can do that . use a silicone  grease on tire mounting , makes for easy on /  off . part of the SUPER / LUBE FAMILY .  pete

• Like 2

lynnmor
3 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

BIG thing to remember is that the changer MUST be very firmly attached to a solid object like the floor or vehicle. 

A pallet holding it is an exercise in expletives creation.  

I use a pallet, but then my expletives are up to date.

I just didn't want that wart standing in the way for use once per year, and that would need another set of expletives every time it got in the way.

• Haha 3

ebinmaine
15 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

I use a pallet, but then my expletives are up to date.

I just didn't want that wart standing in the way for use once per year, and that would need another set of expletives every time it got in the way.

I had that same thought when I mounted mine to the floor but then I got thinking about all the people in the world that own exercise equipment they never use and I just started stacking stuff on top of it.

😂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

ranger

My changer doesn’t seem to mind whether it’s attached to the car or not. But I do sometimes have to put a foot on one of the legs while I pull on the bar if it’s an awkward one and the unit is freestanding.

Ed Kennell
11 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

exercise equipment they never use

My local auctioneer sells a couple pieces every week..    He lists them as clothes dryers.

Image result for Treadmills Used As Clothes Dryers

• Haha 8

peter lena

@lynnmor   my son bought a  floor mounted  tire changer years ago , been  terrific / easy to  use . its  solid , leverage advantage makes quick work of any tire  / wheel situation  . bought it on line , pete

• Like 1

Wheelhorse#1

Now thats good ingenuity right there.Use what you have to make it work.   

Edited by Wheelhorse#1
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
11 minutes ago, Wheelhorse#1 said:

Now thats good ingenuity right there.Use what you have to make it work.   

One of my favorite sayings and a great way of life....

Use what ya have!! 

• Like 2

Ed Kennell
9 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Use what ya have!! 

Yep, and go to tha scrap yard to get what ya don't have.

• Like 5

pfrederi

With 20 WHs 3 big tractors and two mil vehicles (lock ring wheels) I have done a lot of tire work over the last 20 years.  Had the small HF Changer longer than that.  Big HF changer bolted to piece of plywood, Use a KT17 on one end I stand on the other. Pull it out to an open area to use it drag it back when I am done.  Have a serious bead breaker for recalcitrant tires...

IMG_0722.JPG

IMG_0723.JPG

• Like 2
  • Excellent 4

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, Ed Kennell said:

Yep, and go to tha scrap yard to get what ya don't have.

It's an excellent notion and I do it when I can. Unfortunately the insurance industry here in Maine is more in control of the salvage yards than the owners are so most of them don't let you in anymore.

I do have one place not too awful far away that's my first phone call for batteries.

• Like 2

ebinmaine
56 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

recalcitrant

That's a word that is not used enough in modern society.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2