Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

lynnmor
6 minutes ago, Sparky said:

I agree!

I can’t prove it but I’m sure non-ethanol has a longer shelf life than treated ethanol fuel. 

Adding Sta-BIL will reduce the varnish that happens over a long storage period in any gas. The “treatments” are for extracting funds from your wallet and have been shown to be nothing more than snake oil.  Can you imagine a tiny amount of additive removing a gallon of ethanol from nine gallons of gasoline?

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

953 nut
48 minutes ago, Sparky said:

I agree!

I can’t prove it but I’m sure non-ethanol has a longer shelf life than treated ethanol fuel. 

Before I knew the difference I ran the 10% E and left the gas with stable in the tank of my 312 all winter. Come spring I had to go through the entire fuel system. I do the same with non ethanol  and have not had any problems. Been doing it for over ten years.

• Like 4

Handy Don
2 hours ago, Panther416-8 said:

Thanks eb, hoping the extra 300 lb on the rear will help with the wheel slip. Doesn't look like anything snow-wise to challenge it in the next two weeks. 

Maybe go help @Pullstart get Colleen unstuck!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, Sparky said:

I agree!

I can prove it. 

We've experienced it many times.  

NO additives in the gas here. 

Even super touchy 2 cycles. 

Non E. Proper oil mix. Nothing else. 

4 strokes get straight non E 90+ octane.  

We have several engines that are only started after 6 to 8 month setting periods. 

They ALWAYS start within a few turns or hand pulls. 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

Blasterdad
3 hours ago, Panther416-8 said:

Put the front diamond pattern chains on

20230107_141019.jpg

She sure did turn out beautiful! What a beast! Nothing is going to stop that!

I think we might be scaring the snow away !!! Lol.

IMG_0504.JPG.681396852b361377cb113c7614c33b86.JPG

• Like 1
  • Excellent 5

Pullstart
26 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

Maybe go help @Pullstart get Colleen unstuck!

7 minutes ago, Blasterdad said:

Nothing is going to stop that!

well….  as @Handy Don mentioned…   My school bus could use a tug…

• Haha 3

GAJoe

I painted the 36" deck where I had primed it yesterday after my good friend welded up some stress cracks and built up a rusted area for me. I changed the oil on my new to me C-160 with the Shell Rotella T1 SAE 30 plus ZDDP supplement. Got some Non-E gas and added Stabil and B-12 to have on hand when I get everything back together. Still waiting on the input seal and drive belt from WheelHorcePartsAndMore. And I set the points based on the "S" mark on the fly wheel in the peep hole. I posted some questions in the Engine forum on that; advise would be appreciated on that.

Edited by GAJoe
  • Like 4
  • Excellent 1

Sparky
11 hours ago, davem1111 said:

Dang you, ethanol!  I think there are 2 stations that have Non-E within 10-15 miles.  

Lucky you Dave!

It’s 106 miles one way to the nearest station selling non-ethanol fuel from the pump for me. 

EDAC64D4-F363-4742-9FD2-14D58100202A.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

WHX??
6 hours ago, Pullstart said:

Got the mail tonight…

DB56F8AB-351C-4861-8550-4BF303A2CF5C.jpeg

Nobody mentioned it was a two part special!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

pfrederi

I do use non ethanol in the snow horses and in the other low use Horses.  Heavy use summer mowers get regular gas all year until the last month or so then they get non ethanol.  my L-107 which is used several times a week year round gets what ever I have. Haven't had big carb issues anywhere in the fleet.     I believe most the ethanol problems stem from sitting.. 

• Like 8

GAJoe

I added a fuel filter and check valve that a member recommended. Did I do it well enough? The plastic tank is fairly new on the new to me C-160 but there was a  small amount of stuff in the bottom. It has a fine gold colored screen that should keep it out until I clean it out next time it runs out of fuel.

The new in-line filter came from isavetractors.com and was described as "2 Pack - Inline fuel filter for fuel systems using fuel pumps and 1/4" ID fuel line." 

Even after I put it on line and was running it the filter didn't have a solid column of fuel in it; that normal? I was careful to make sure that both were not touching anything that could cause a vibration wear point. I assumed that all of these are engineered to not restrict fuel flow too much for normal operation.

I tried to put the check valve between the fuel pump and carb' but couldn't squeeze it in. I figured that it was beneficial as the carb' is above the fuel tank level and that it could go almost anywhere in the line. 

20230108_145328.jpg.1a1fcafb43193d6f88451dd4dda0c13f.jpg       20230108_145306.jpg.d06421e7447cef23c5ac5c3110527a4a.jpg

20230108_152656.jpg.f9f98138273d1db7e38cd10dfeb4ee4b.jpg   20230108_152731.jpg.19bf704c1ec9b8c129b976862cb154b0.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 5

WHGuy413

Just came in from the garage. I finished up the bronco 14 today. Re attached the air filter assembly and put the tire chains on. Left side went on way to easy. Right side went on almost as easy. I never have this much luck doing tires chains. Doah! I realized they are not a matching set. Wandered around found the matching one to the right hand side chain but decided my luck would change and I would end up fighting it if i swapped it so I left it. I swapped out the flat front tire with one laying around the garage that Alex took off of one of his. Will need air but it’s not flat flat. I wanted to bring our 854 into the garage and start working on that but decided I needed to clean up first and bring in my friends c-105 in that’s been sitting here way too long. Got it running for him once already then he let it sit for years. Now he wants it running again. I kind of dragged my feet on it because the last time I got it running he used it once or twice and then left it out. It’s definitely in rougher shape then when I found it for him and got it running before. I also used Aiden’s 856 to bring in another very small load of wood. Yesterdays little load probably would have sufficed til the boys got home but figured I would rather do it today than after work this week. When they get home they will be tasked with bringing in 1 or 2 loads. One of my friends showed up in between projects and I ended up losing motivation. Back to the warm house and couch I go.

• Like 6

Handy Don
52 minutes ago, GAJoe said:

added a fuel filter and check valve

It is perfectly normal for the filter not to fill. You can’t see it, but the tube leaving the upper end of your filter sticks down into the body to just about where the fuel level is now so it can’t draw the air out any lower.

All looks good from the images. Nice work

Edited by Handy Don
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

c-series don

@LagersolutI’d, wait WE would like to see some pictures of your C-101 please! 

• Like 7

ebinmaine
11 hours ago, Handy Don said:

It is perfectly normal for the filter not to fill. You can’t see it, but the tube leaving the upper end of your filter sticks down into the body to just about where the fuel level is now so it can’t draw the air out any lower.

All looks good from the images. Nice work

@GAJoe

Agree with Don on the fuel filter. 

Ours can set and run perfectly happy without any more than a few drops visible in the filter.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lagersolut
7 hours ago, c-series don said:

Will do - after I get off work today I'll go through my pics and post some :)

• Like 3

WHGuy413
10 hours ago, c-series don said:

Yeah what he said!

• Like 2

rjg854

Cleaned the dust and cobwebs off the tractors, because they have been sitting so long without use.  Barely have moved them in months, it seems like. So far it's been a rather uneventful year for us here in the Finger Lakes, in terms of snow, and cold.  Which has been a good thing with the way fuel prices are.

• Like 7

Achto
On 1/8/2023 at 1:52 AM, Pullstart said:

DB56F8AB-351C-4861-8550-4BF303A2CF5C.jpeg

Congratulations Kevin !!!! :dance:Unlike these poor souls you made it.:)

Only one question. Why is it going to take 2 months to read an article about a tractor that only took 2 weeks to build ????:confusion-confused::ychain:

Edited by Achto
  • Haha 6

Pullstart
1 hour ago, Achto said:

Why is it going to take 2 months to read an article about a tractor that only took 2 weeks to build ?

Cause JD or not, we had to know more about the mini lowboy too!  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2
  • Excellent 5