Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

953 nut
17 minutes ago, peter lena said:

@953 nut  agree with the grass going nuts , while I  don't have any chickens , do have a lot of related birds in the area. they are always worm picking , and staying busy , pete 

That was an inside joke for @squonk, he has a flock of artificial steel chickens in his yard.

• Haha 3

squonk
36 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

With all of those chickens running around in the yard what did you expect,     :angry-tappingfoot:    their dropping are so rich in nutrients (RUST) the grass goes crazy!          :ychain:

Chickens are in the front yard. Grass grows pretty normal there. Back yard ,where the heavy grass is is fenced in for the dogs. They beat the crap out of the yard before the grass starts growing every year. I think this will never come back but it does. Before I got the recycler deck I had to run a lawn sweeper afterwards to handle the clippings. I remember baling grass in August one year! :shock:

• Haha 3

Handy Don
10 minutes ago, Monstrosity said:

think she likes it ...  A grader blade would sure come in handy

ISave does offer a kit but, frankly, I am convinced that they all come from the same source--probably the far east somewhere.

"Then and Now" have kits but unless you need the one-way valves they are downright pricey.

KEY CHECK - make sure the stem of the plunger matches what you have so it'll engage the pump lever correctly--there are two pretty common styles and one rarely-seen oddball!

I like the picture! One of my grandsons got to ride one of my tractors with his dad and now he brings it up on every FaceTime call that he wants to come back for another ride. I noticed during his ride that he observed his dad working the throttle and shift and he was all over trying that himself!

Yeah, a grader would be cool but I've been surprised at the effectiveness of a front blade.

Good Luck!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Desko

Haven't had much time to do anything lately but slowly read through the posts and what not. I did however get a chance to work on the 520-8 today where I was able to get the dent out of the hood. Then I had to get a pic of the decal before I took it off because it is only original once so it'll be something to remember along with other things on it. Wish I knew that when I started on the work horse years ago but unfortunately I didn't and now I have no original pictures of it. 

1C99044C-2F24-4383-B902-484D8E44CB98.jpeg

7F771B60-A86F-4B09-96ED-2B05F4F187FC.jpeg

22411CE5-7078-4F68-95C2-8FE1E143883B.jpeg

• Like 5

davem1111
On 5/13/2022 at 8:15 PM, davem1111 said:

Finished dismantling both 48" decks so I can try to make one good working deck out of the 2.  Had to do some MAPP gas heating and get out the BIG breaker bar.  Destroyed one pulley but it was pretty badly rusted anyway.  Started painting the shell and the plate the spindles bolt through.  Using up the Rural King RK Tractor Red first (it's a bit too orange-y) then will hit with Rust-Oleum Regal Red.

Today I started putting the deck back together and assessing where I stood as far as usable spindles and shafts went.  Turns out I damaged one end pulley too much and the other one was very rusty, so I'm ordering some new pulleys and one spindle shaft to replace a "questionable" one.  In the meantime, getting some more paint on the cover shields.  Spent about 2 hours rearranging the garage to fit my daughter's car inside.  She's in Europe right now and thunderstorms that might produce hail have been rolling through, so I want to protect it. Still have the rear off the 416-8 but it's easy to roll around with a floor jack under the back.  Dang jack stand released and came down on my thumb though. :angry-cussingblack:

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

ebinmaine
14 hours ago, Monstrosity said:

Norman has a kit on isavetractors.com

14 hours ago, Handy Don said:

ISave does offer a kit but, frankly, I am convinced that they all come from the same source--probably the far east somewhere

I believe isavetractors' parts are a slightly better design ~ for the most part ~ than the ultra cheap stuff out there. 

I do very little business with Norman because I'm a cheapskate but I think he does try to make the right moves overall.  

14 hours ago, Monstrosity said:

my daughter wanted to ride/sit on the tractor

Excellent 👍

10 hours ago, davem1111 said:

fit my daughter's car inside

In principle you did the right thing but I'm thinking that because you tried to move HER car you're entitled to 2 things. 1. Placing the entire blame of the thumb crunch on her. 🙄. 2. Clearly. You need a much larger work area. A new garage.  Big.  

@Desko nice work on that dent.  

• Like 1

ebinmaine

Over the last few days Trina's been working her Pigpen 867 out in the New garden area. 

Using the mid mount grader blade we've been lifting rocks sticks roots out of the "near to surface". 

Yesterday we started putting in the posts to hold the deer 🦌 deturent fence. Notice I didn't write deer proof. Price difference from the 4 foot we're using to the 6 foot for dee proof is ridiculous. We'll install the 4' and add some visual aids to the top. They 🦌 aren't fond of shiny stuff or moving tapes.  

The base fence will keep out lazy animals at least. Flying lead will help the rest. 

From the "Use what ya have department"... @Dan.gerous

The poles we're installing are hemlock trees we've cut during the clearing process. 

Posts don't need to be centered or distanced correctly so we dig around near where we want one until we can get a foot or so down. After standing the posts we'll wrap the bases with locally sourced (here) 🪨🪨 rocks.  😀

We have plenty!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Dan.gerous
8 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

The poles we're installing are hemlock trees we've cut during the clearing process. 

Posts don't need to be centered or distanced correctly so we dig around near where we want one until we can get a foot or so down. After standing the posts we'll wrap the bases with locally sourced (here) 🪨🪨 rocks.  😀

We have plenty!!

My kinda guy!

• Like 1

ebinmaine
10 minutes ago, Dan.gerous said:

My kinda guy!

Appreciate the thought but this one's Trina's fault. 

😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Dan.gerous
4 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Appreciate the thought but this one's Trina's fault. 

😂

My kinda girl!

• Haha 2

Ed Kennell
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

Flying lead will help the rest. 

Venison will make a nice stir fry with the garden veggies.

• Haha 2
  • Heart 1

squonk

Nice "weathering" on that stack! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ed Kennell
2 hours ago, Achto said:

some exercise.

Better give that little horse an extra helping of oats  Dan.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

sjoemie himself
4 hours ago, Achto said:

IMG_20220515_075023696_HDR.jpg.217e5bd58b3804523b6921b5c0532005.jpg

IMG_20220515_075037916_HDR.jpg.450df0b7fe939baa11407f0434032514.jpg

Wow i'm impressed! Since i'm a Wheel Horse noob I had no Idea a Wheel Horse could pull that! Really cool.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
55 minutes ago, Sparky said:

Found lots of grit?? in the bowl and some other weird mess in the fuel inlet port

Mike, that looks like a standard issue case of ethanol damage. 

• Like 2

Sparky
49 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Very possible. This machine sat dormant for awhile before I got it. 

• Like 2

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, Sparky said:

Very possible. This machine sat dormant for awhile before I got it. 

You replacing fuel lines too?

• Like 2

Wheelhorse#1

Yep looks like fuel line chunks  

• Like 2

squonk

Mike is that Berrymans carb cleaner? I had been buying the Gunk brand. Not as powerful and stinky like the old days. Last month I switched to Berrymans and wasn't impressed at all. It was crappier than the Gunk brand I had been buying. Don't know if I got a bad batch or what? :(

• Sad 1

Sparky
24 minutes ago, squonk said:

Mike is that Berrymans carb cleaner? I had been buying the Gunk brand. Not as powerful and stinky like the old days. Last month I switched to Berrymans and wasn't impressed at all. It was crappier than the Gunk brand I had been buying. Don't know if I got a bad batch or what? :(

Gunk. It’s an old can, bet I bought it well over 10 years ago. First can of this type of stuff I’ve ever owned so I can’t compare it to Berryman’s. 
  Does this stuff have a lifespan? Or is it dependent on the number of carbs that have been submerged in it? 

image.jpg

• Like 5

Sparky

You replacing fuel lines too?

For sure.., it’ll be all brand new from tank to carb eventually 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2