Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

ebinmaine
11 minutes ago, Dan.gerous said:

Are they sleeves that go over the original axles?

Guess you weld them on?

These are standard trailer hubs that are cut close to where the seal rides then bored down the middle 3/4" to accept the Wheelhorse spindles.  

They could be welded. 

We used J. B. Weld to hold them together.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

CodyP

I'll be running a 14 mile journey to work and back on a rocky dirt road I just need at this point a two different  pullys for more speed right now I got a 6 in front and 4 in the back so I'm only going 10mph I had the stock tires but one of each side went flat so I'm looking to replace them with this suitable task because I don't know squat about tractors but I know my way around the engine today I greased the steering changed the oil and topped off diff now I'm trying to break a bead on a tire I found out back  just to have air in the fronts while I look to replace the back 2 with suggested tires from you fellas 

• Like 3

Thor27

imho, you place a lot of faith in that glue...   Would it give you peace of mind to drill just one hole and a quick plug weld.   Probably be fine, my luck would have it fail as far from the house as possible with the chipper on the front, and it seems you venture far into the woods,  your mileage may vary :D

• Like 4

balconio

Both of these have "12hp" engines, both are gear driven, and both are from the HW Bush era. But one is a toy and the other is a tool. The back tires on the little guy are smaller than the front tires on the big guy lol. Both are fine machines, I'm going to start having my 12yo mow on the little Yard Pro which just got a new ignition coil.

PXL_20220502_045709342_compress42.jpg.913eaf90daa4c311d6617c0131305ce2.jpg

I also changed up my steel winch cable for a poly winch rope with a nice new hook and rubber stopper. We'll see how it holds up but I look forward to not having my hands chewed up by the cable.

PXL_20220502_051037740_compress34.jpg.60a9f3202b691fcfb3849cb4f9ba520b.jpg

Edited by balconio
  • Like 7
  • Excellent 2

Dan.gerous
7 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

These are standard trailer hubs that are cut close to where the seal rides then bored down the middle 3/4" to accept the Wheelhorse spindles.  

They could be welded. 

Thanks, its a modification I want to make but had no clue where to start :-)

• Like 2

ebinmaine
25 minutes ago, Dan.gerous said:

Thanks, its a modification I want to make but had no clue where to start :-)

I'll get some pics for you of all the parts used. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Dan.gerous
13 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I'll get some pics for you of all the parts used. 

Yes please, that will help a lot.

Getting the diesel project back underway with the C-161, almost a waste with the Hydro but I have further plans for it that will require the hubs to be beefed up :-)

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
8 hours ago, Thor27 said:

imho, you place a lot of faith in that glue...   Would it give you peace of mind to drill just one hole and a quick plug weld.   Probably be fine, my luck would have it fail as far from the house as possible with the chipper on the front, and it seems you venture far into the woods,  your mileage may vary :D

Oh, my luck runs the same! 😀

I've seen good results as far as J B holding and this application requires only to keep the stub in place but little to no actual pressure is on the glue. 

I'm doing it kind of as an experiment to see just how rugged the stuff is. 

If it fails I'll run a small bead of weld around the part where the spindle connects to the stub. 

• Like 4

Dan.gerous
8 hours ago, CodyP said:

I'll be running a 14 mile journey to work and back on a rocky dirt road I just need at this point a two different  pullys for more speed right now I got a 6 in front and 4 in the back so I'm only going 10mph I had the stock tires but one of each side went flat so I'm looking to replace them with this suitable task because I don't know squat about tractors but I know my way around the engine today I greased the steering changed the oil and topped off diff now I'm trying to break a bead on a tire I found out back  just to have air in the fronts while I look to replace the back 2 with suggested tires from you fellas 

This wheelhorse was geared up for about + 40mph. It had direct drive to a solid rear axle and a motorbike disc brake.

I didn't build it, brought it already converted, but there is a good guide on Facebook from a young guy that built one from scratch.

FB_IMG_1651482028384.jpg

FB_IMG_1651482024629.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

Bill Winn
On 4/30/2022 at 9:31 PM, JPWH said:

Finished the 3 point hitch and subsoiler then gave the 953 a little workout in hard red clay.

Did this particular Horse come with a 3-point or did you fabricate it from scratch?

• Like 1

Desko

Did some work on the 520-8 this evening while I had a little time. I started off with a new 5 pin plug and spades for the key switch. Then I moved onto the parking brake wiring and repaired that. I'm waiting on the new flag connectors for the clutch switch which I was able to cross to a 3 pin GE fridge light switch since they are nla from toro.  I also repaired the hood corner since the spot welds broke out and it was separating but I still have to fix the dent under the headlights yet but haven't come up with a good idea that won't mess up the ribbing of it. Also is there anyone that keeps a record of the build date/unit numbers of these on here? 

D8B5FCF1-D8C5-4112-8B2A-741FBF8787B3.jpeg

847E0946-CD15-46C2-81CD-400B911B8F3F.jpeg

B7BDFC3F-05C0-40B4-98E4-E0CA5B3E89D0.jpeg

• Like 4

JPWH
59 minutes ago, Bill Winn said:

Did this particular Horse come with a 3-point or did you fabricate it from scratch?

@Bill WinnI fabricated it from scratch. The build thread is 3 point hitch for Hank.

Edited by JPWH
  • Like 3

Wheel Horse 3D
On 5/1/2022 at 8:09 PM, ebinmaine said:

They could be welded. 

Ive still Gotta get that spindle upgrade done on Dug! Have one spindle bored, and another to go. 

• Like 2

Ed Kennell

Shaker plate engine mounts.......One of Wheel Horses bad ideas.     :bitch:

• Like 8

Stormin
7 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

Shaker plate engine mounts.......One of Wheel Horses bad ideas.     :bitch:

I agree. You'll notice the ally spacers fitted and the washer under one of them. That's because the plate is not even. Slight twist.

• Like 3

cleat

My Ford LGT165 had those as well.

Must have been something about that time frame.

I think it was a 1979 or thereabouts..

• Like 2

peter lena

@Desko   noting your wiring , I  regularly use spiral cable wrap on my wires to stop chafing and prevent the usual  shorting  issues , then I  use nylon hangers secured to a nearby bolt or screw , just picked up 20 ft of 3/8"  ID  clear cable wrap on amazon for $ 6 . 

• Like 5

Dan.gerous
3 minutes ago, peter lena said:

@Desko   noting your wiring , I  regularly use spiral cable wrap on my wires to stop chafing and prevent the usual  shorting  issues , then I  use nylon hangers secured to a nearby bolt or screw , just picked up 20 ft of 3/8"  ID  clear cable wrap on amazon for $ 6 . 

Good idea.

We used some of that the other day to help prevent one of the ropes on our rescue boat chafing through. "Ning" is the guy in the picture, great seaman and so full of energy you have a job keeping up with him!

I also notice the little C125 I have been working on today has several chafed wires 

20220321_091944.jpg

• Like 4

Desko
2 hours ago, peter lena said:

Yea I'll reloom it when it's done and tie it off properly so it doesn't get caught up in the shifter or on the brake cross shaft. I try and get my stuff locally even if it costs a little more but it's worth helping the small businesses when I can. 

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

peter lena

@Desko   agree with that , when you can support a local store , thats a good call.  good luck with that project , pete

• Like 3

ebinmaine
20 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

Made a plate

Nice work on that bub. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8ntruck

That looks like a fatigue crack.  Was your weld repair a weld and grind smooth type of repair?  In this case, the weld left a stress riser that eventually grew into another fatigue crack.

If you make another similar weld repair, go over the weld with a pneumatic needle de-scaler.  The de-scaler will leave a layer of compressed metal along the repair, which will help prevent another crack from forming.

Then again, your plate repair is effective as well.  Nicely done, too.  The best repair is quite often the one that matches the resources and tools at hand.

• Like 4
  • Excellent 4

kpinnc
3 hours ago, WHX?? said:

Had the 1067 in the shop for some repair & upkeep.

That's a very nice looking machine. :thumbs:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1