Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

CodyP

Put a better carb on it and changed the fuel line to clear and smaller clamp she runs like a champ now I have to get 4 new tires because I got a flat front and back at opposite sides I checked the vendors section but did not see anyone specializing in tires so where do you guys get your tires?  

• Like 4

8ntruck

I've ordered Carslile tires through the local hardware store that has a service department for garden tractors.  Yeah, there are other vendors that are less expensive, but, I like to support the local guys.

I think others are using Miller Tire Service - big tire distributor who operates on line.

Now, to open the tire can of worms again - what kind of tires are you looking for?  What do you want to do with the tractor?  What kind of surfaces are you going to be operating on?  Will you wanting to use chains?  Will you want a different size than came stock on the tractor?  Everybody here has an opinion on this subject, and will be happy to express it.

Me, I've got a '73 14-8 no name that is used mostly for mowing on gently contoured land.  It is on Carslile Turf Saver tires that are stock size.  I do not run wheel weights or fluid in the tires.  Late last summer, I picked up a C195.  This one will eventually see some heavier service than the 14-8.  To replace the ozone checked tires currently on it, the fronts will be 5 rib tires, and the rears will be something a little more aggressive than the Turf Savers.  Fluid filling is being considered for these tires.

Edited by 8ntruck
  • Like 4

Bill Winn

So my new lift cable came for the c175. I could not get it to feed through the tube so I took the tube out to inspect it. This is what I found. Luckily I had a piece of stainless pipe that would work so I made a new one.

IMG_4338.JPG

IMG_4339.JPG

• Like 9

davem1111
5 minutes ago, 8ntruck said:

I've ordered Carslile tires through the local hardware store that has a service department for garden tractors.  Yeah, there are other vendors that are less expensive, but, I like to support the local guys.

[...]

I bought a new pair of 8" fronts (rim & tire) through Walmart.  I won't do that again.  While I saved a few bucks on them, it was a major pain trying to pick them up at the store - it took 2 tries and at least an hour of asking, waiting around to see if they can find them, asking again...   I didn't need new rims but they were cheap enough that saving on the unmount/mounting I figured was worth it.  I may buy some used Ags for the rear already on rims, but I think I'd go with the advice from @8ntruck ,  @CodyP- find a local shop with service dept. that will set them all up for you and stand behind their work.  It will be worth it.

• Like 6

davem1111
3 hours ago, Ifixoldjunk said:

I recently found some junky 14ga sheet metal at work.

still had some good sections so I figured I might as well get some patches made for my rusty 42 side discharge.

I had my younger brother who’s going to a welding school do the welding for me. Had to bribe him with food but whatever.🤣

I figure since the deck is 100% solid now, I’ll cut with it a few times just to see if the welds hold up to constant vibration and then I’ll paint the whole thing with POR-15 to ensure this is the last time patching is ever needed.

Still have tons of sheet metal left as well. Definitely finding a place to store it cause I doubt this will be the last rusted mower I own.

I just bought an 80 Amp Inverter Arc Welder at Harbor Freight yesterday - can't wait to try it out. I have a second 42" deck that has at least one hole in it, and some project ideas. I need to find some scrap metal to work with.  I have a wire-fed non-gas welder that has only been good for very light work.   Hadn't thought about the vibration factor though...  those welds look like they'll hold up just fine! :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 4

Ifixoldjunk

@davem1111

Thanks man, and yeah we used a non gas welder as well. Wheel horse decks are made of a hard to find thickness, at least for me. It’s 14ga. I checked out close to 10 different stores looking for it. I ended up using what I think was a hatch from a septic tank. According to my friend it’s been at least sitting outside in the elements for a few years so it was at least clean when I got it.😅

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

KrazeyOlDave

Today is maintenance day for my little pony. Hope y’all have a great day!

• Like 6

Horse Newbie
1 hour ago, Ifixoldjunk said:

@davem1111

Thanks man, and yeah we used a non gas welder as well. Wheel horse decks are made of a hard to find thickness, at least for me. It’s 14ga. I checked out close to 10 different stores looking for it. I ended up using what I think was a hatch from a septic tank. According to my friend it’s been at least sitting outside in the elements for a few years so it was at least clean when I got it.😅

14 ga. is not necessarily that hard to find… just maybe hard to find in a “store”.

When I worked at a large facilities maintenance plant (in the roofing/ sheet metal/ welding dept.) we would get it in in 8 x 4 sheets, by the pallet…

In that size 14ga. is kinda heavy…

Most places like Lowes or Home Depot probably carry a slightly thinner gage, and definitely won’t have an 8 x 4 sheet.

• Like 2

Ifixoldjunk

0393A650-8CAC-4C2A-8EF7-E81270A8FD60.jpeg.c9a65800e1339d1094bf7364e4b85f5f.jpeg44A885A5-CD49-42BF-B7AE-1E868739E7B2.jpeg.9f67fab88103b8aed3e237d5b448f7fc.jpeg

Well, I got it down to bare steel and slapped on some POR-15. I think any issues with rust are all in the past now.

Next up I’ll be giving it a top coat with some semi truck frame paint. Pretty much the hardiest paint I could find. 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 4

SylvanLakeWH

Outstanding!!! :eusa-clap:

• Like 1

balconio

Today was deck maintenance day for my 42" RD and SD decks. I used my new tool file to sharpen all the blades CORRECTLY for the first time in my life... I've always been an angle grinder guy but apparently that's way overkill and you ruin blades a lot faster. I got them nice and sharp with a few dozen passes and I feel a lot better about getting the cut angle correct too doing it by hand.

I also added a patch and some filler welds to the 42" SD deck I bought from squonk last year. I find that to be satisfying work, spending an hour to make something a couple decades old last a few more years.

Finally I treated all the spindles to some moly grease and hit all pivot points with white lithium grease. We're ready to mow!! AND from what I read, the northeast is predicted to have a wet summer and lots of mowing.

• Like 5

Horse Newbie
2 hours ago, Ifixoldjunk said:

0393A650-8CAC-4C2A-8EF7-E81270A8FD60.jpeg.c9a65800e1339d1094bf7364e4b85f5f.jpeg44A885A5-CD49-42BF-B7AE-1E868739E7B2.jpeg.9f67fab88103b8aed3e237d5b448f7fc.jpeg

Well, I got it down to bare steel and slapped on some POR-15. I think any issues with rust are all in the past now.

Next up I’ll be giving it a top coat with some semi truck frame paint. Pretty much the hardiest paint I could find. 

Did you degrease and etch the metal before applying the POR 15 ?

• Like 1

Horse Newbie
On 4/30/2022 at 2:54 PM, CodyP said:

Put a better carb on it and changed the fuel line to clear and smaller clamp she runs like a champ now I have to get 4 new tires because I got a flat front and back at opposite sides I checked the vendors section but did not see anyone specializing in tires so where do you guys get your tires?  

@CodyP  I have Hi-Run brand on my 1994 520, turf tread… on my 1984 Work Horse GT-1600 I have Hi-Run brand Ags on the rear and straight-ribs on the front…

Like has been said, you will get many opinions here on Redsquare… check online…

The Hi-Runs can be found at Lowes, Home Depot, TSC, and online…

:text-welcomeconfetti:TO :rs: !!!

1C570D1E-9B84-418A-A1E3-70D72B8CFC24.jpeg

BBD9AB42-3C70-486F-A9FE-E8068C0EEA1C.jpeg

66C904AA-1119-4B84-8994-F292EFB75353.jpeg

5BC52EF0-CDF8-46AD-82A6-F06499F8996E.jpeg

2E52553E-61F7-4FC0-A692-0FB87CABEA49.jpeg

1DC8EA2B-C0DD-479B-A9B7-3A232C60898F.jpeg

DBA8B28C-0425-469E-9B25-5058834E219B.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 7

Ifixoldjunk

@Horse Newbie Yes sir! Got a great deal on the all in one POR-15 kit.1AC1307C-0C42-4128-A260-8C74BEF8FD6A.jpeg.754f7fdff4679a55cc29cb7cf61d684e.jpeg the kit did a pretty nice job prepping it.

• Excellent 2

JCM

Excellent day today at Eric and Trina's. Looking forward to getting the Twin cylinder machines in tip top shape for the Meet & Greet this September. I want to see the look on Eric's face when he takes that 520-H for a trail ride. Thanks again buddy.

• Excellent 2

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, JCM said:

Excellent day today at Eric and Trina's. Looking forward to getting the Twin cylinder machines in tip top shape for the Meet & Greet this September. I want to see the look on Eric's face when he takes that 520-H for a trail ride. Thanks again buddy.imageproxy.php?img=&key=74de1d643bd8402fimageproxy.php?img=&key=74de1d643bd8402fimageproxy.php?img=&key=74de1d643bd8402fimageproxy.php?img=&key=74de1d643bd8402fimageproxy.php?img=&key=74de1d643bd8402fimageproxy.php?img=&key=74de1d643bd8402f

Glad to have you up Mr Jim.  

😀

After @JCM headed for the low ground the BBT went out and spent some time in the new garden area cleaning out rocks and sticks. 

I did a little more prep on changing the Cinnamon Horse C160-8 over to 5 lug trailer hubs on the front axle. 

Yesterday Trina and I attached the drilled axle stubs (thank you to the person who did that !) to the N. O. S. Steering knuckles I got from @Sparky last year at @JCM Jim's Meet n Greet. 

Today I drilled the tie rod holes out to accept the oversized 7/16 hiem joints. 

IMG_20220501_185018.jpg

IMG_20220501_185024.jpg

IMG_20220501_185013.jpg

• Like 6
  • Excellent 3

Dan.gerous
2 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Glad to have you up Mr Jim.  

😀

After @JCM headed for 

I did a little more prep on changing the Cinnamon Horse C160-8 over to 5 lug trailer hubs on the front axle. 

Yesterday Trina and I attached the drilled axle stubs (thank you to the person who did that !) to the N. O. S. Steering knuckles I got from @Sparky last year at @JCM Jim's Meet n Greet. 

Are they sleeves that go over the original axles?

Guess you weld them on?

• Like 2

Sparky
6 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Today I drilled the tie rod holes out to accept the oversized 7/16 hiem joints. 

IMG_20220501_185018.jpg

Really glad to see someone using them! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

JPWH

thank you to the person who did that !

Your welcome. I hope they fit as you planned.

Edited by JPWH
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1