Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

peter lena

@76c12091520h bob ,  being a lubrication nut , I regularly marvel at the rusted state of the exposed wheel well / chassis areas in virtually new trucks . none of my stuff is lie that , my cure for that is LUBRIPLATE , CHAIN AND CABLE SPRAY  AND LUBRIPLATE OPEN GEAR HEAVY DUTY EXTREME PRESSURE  AEROSOL LUBES. nothing stays with metal like this stuff , moving up garage door co , https://www.movingupgaragedoors.com/lubriplate-l0152-063-gear-shield-extra-heavy-lubricant  has the best prices . , no rust and stands up , pete

• Like 2

Maxwell-8

Oopps, she wont fit even with a 2" hood lift.

DSC_0615.JPG.e927a58ed4a7799fbb3e9b25de714167.JPG

• Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

Handy Don
1 hour ago, Maxwell-8 said:

Oopps, she wont fit even with a 2" hood lift.

DSC_0615.JPG.e927a58ed4a7799fbb3e9b25de714167.JPG

Time to get creative, there!  You'll think of something, I'm sure.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Oldskool

It's getting time to put some horses away for the winter. There are alot of batteries to keep charged. Could I hook them all together and charge all at once? All positives together all negatives together.

• Like 1

Gregor
35 minutes ago, Oldskool said:

There are alot of batteries

Define a lot.  I would like to bring all of mine up to the heated garage, but 11 batteries is a lot to find room for. I know there are some with more tractors than I. What do you do with the batteries you don't intend to use for the next 4 - 5 months?

• Like 1

953 nut
46 minutes ago, Oldskool said:

put some horses away for the winter. There are alot of batteries to keep charged

:twocents-02cents:            Only good way to keep them charged is to drive each one at least every-other week.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

ebinmaine
7 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

:twocents-02cents:            Only good way to keep them charged is to drive each one at least every-other week.

I was going to suggest once a month but I only have four or five tractors to winter over. Not 10 or more or whatever.

• Like 4

Gregor

Once there is snow on the ground, there is no way to get them out of where they are. I'll post a pic once the sun comes up.

• Like 3

SylvanLakeWH

Warm and fully charged is the way I prefer to store them. Use meter to check voltage. If they need a boost charge them. 

:twocents-twocents:

• Like 2

squonk
1 hour ago, Oldskool said:

It's getting time to put some horses away for the winter. There are alot of batteries to keep charged. Could I hook them all together and charge all at once? All positives together all negatives together.

If you keep batteries connected with out a constant charger a weak battery will draw down the others. I have 7 batteries to maintain so 7 battery tenders.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3

cleat

Mine for 6 of my tractors and 2 cars I just make sure are fully charged then put on a shelf that I mounted high in the shop out of the way.

They sit there until spring. Never had one lose a charge over the winter yet.

Shop is heated though so they would never freeze.

• Like 4

Roger R

No problem connecting all and maintaining charge.  I made up a "harness" and can connect all or any of my batteries to a trickle / maintenance charger.  Not a bad idea to make sure each on is fully charged with your regular charger first. 

• Like 5

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, Gregor said:

Even getting the batteries out of the tractors would be a chore

If you can reach the batteries in the individual tractors to charge them I'd leave them right there.

Figure out the timing to put a one or two amp charge for about 24 hours in each tractor maybe once a month?

• Like 2

Maxwell-8
2 hours ago, Oldskool said:

And get the Y.E.T.I. ready for action!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

Tuneup

If the batteries to be placed in parallel are all of the same capacity AND they are all of similar level of charge at the start, no worries. The highest charged unit will discharge into the lowest until they all stabilize. Potentially, that's a pant load of current. Picture jumping a car battery when the cables are connected. The trickle charger will have quite the job as well! Be careful.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

chip61

connecting them together seemed to work for a few years, then one year one battery went down, pulling the others down and causing all the batteries to overcharge even with a maintainer (at least I guess that's what happened I had 4 bad batteries at once). Now I have a couple maintainers that I move around from battery to battery every week or two and that seems to work fine. The couple tractors I use year round don't have any problem.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Handy Don
2 hours ago, Roger R said:

No problem connecting all and maintaining charge.  I made up a "harness" and can connect all or any of my batteries to a trickle / maintenance charger.  Not a bad idea to make sure each on is fully charged with your regular charger first. 

Italics and underscore added.

Trickle chargers typically do not have the capacity to charge a battery (hence the term "trickle"). Having the batteries all fully charged before ganging them up is necessary. Also, as noted, a failed battery can "bring down" all the others in the "gang".

• Like 3

Maxwell-8

Our trickle charger can charge up to 5 amps I believe. plenty for U1 30AH battery no? 

Trickle chargers are the only chargers I like with a "brain" :D

• Like 1

Horse Newbie

One Battery Tender per battery…

• Like 1

Maxwell-8

Do you guys keep them constantly plugged in? 

Is that not a fire hazard?  I think my fire insurance states something about it...

• Like 2

Handy Don
16 minutes ago, Maxwell-8 said:

Our trickle charger can charge up to 5 amps I believe. plenty for U1 30AH battery no? 

Trickle chargers are the only chargers I like with a "brain" :D

That isn't a trickle charger -- it is a full range charger that can throttle down to a trickle! I'd read its instructions carefully as I doubt it was intended to be connected to more than one or two batteries at the same time.

Trickle chargers (or more commonly "battery tenders") typically deliver 0.8 amps or less.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Oldskool
4 hours ago, Gregor said:

Define a lot.  I would like to bring all of mine up to the heated garage, but 11 batteries is a lot to find room for. I know there are some with more tractors than I. What do you do with the batteries you don't intend to use for the next 4 - 5 months?

Well I was thinking 8 was alot lol. In retrospect not so much lol

• Like 2

Oldskool
2 hours ago, Maxwell-8 said:

And get the Y.E.T.I. ready for action!

I still have a bit to do yet on the Y.E.T.I. I ended up with a project that jumped ahead in line.

• Like 2

Maxwell-8
1 minute ago, Oldskool said:

I still have a bit to do yet on the Y.E.T.I. I ended up with a project that jumped ahead in line.

oooww Can't wait:eusa-dance:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1