Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

Blasterdad
4 minutes ago, davem1111 said:

I put the snow plow blade, rear weights and chains on the GT-1848 (which my wife has now dubbed "The Beast") early last week, when they were saying we might get as much as 11" of snow. But we only got about 3", so I didn't need to plow.  However, today my wife asked me to cover up the lily and daffodil bed with "something" that would protect them from the next wave of cold, since they are already starting to peek out green. Hmmm.... took The Beast and trailer back to the old horse barn, made a few passes with the plow, and had a wagon load in about 10 minutes. Spread that out and went back for more. 2 loads was enough, but there's plenty left for other things. Maybe a new garden in the spring. We only have four 4' x 8' planter boxes right now.   Dang, really wish I could get my hands on a tiller for this thing.

IMG_0648.jpg.ce9c2e8632638156c4cd35725c90e981.jpg

It is a beast for sure!

I love the "shin schredders" on the wheel weights...:ychain:

davem1111
12 hours ago, Blasterdad said:

It is a beast for sure!

I love the "shin schredders" on the wheel weights...:ychain:

Well, I did use some shorter bolts this time, but I should probably grind those off a bit shorter. But, no shins will get shredded. Mine got it enough from the longer ones that I think I've learned my lesson, and I'll make sure no one else gets close enough. Unless it's parked in the garage. Then you're on your own...

I guess that's kinda mean - I'll probably at least drape a towel over them when it's in the garage. :thumbs:

• Haha 4

GAJoe

Yesterday I started reassembly of the 36" mower deck anticipating the arrival of my seals and bearings in about 10 days. I got the belt tensioner bar bolted back on with new nylon bushings and got the wheels cleaned up, bolted back on, and replaced the grease. 

Today I sharpened and balanced the blades.

• Like 7

ebinmaine
8 hours ago, davem1111 said:

bolts

I had some that were a bit long but they made it easier to install the weights.  

I left em long and put cap acorn style nuts on the ends.   

• Like 2

ebinmaine
9 hours ago, WHGuy413 said:

plan in motion to get the last of the pipe out of the block tomorrow with some cutting and a chisel. 

It can be done by cutting the pipe about ½" from the engine then making a slice through that pipe to the threads. 

One small shallow notch in the threads won't hurt anything.  

Use a good punch or thick chisel to curl the pipe inward on itself and it'll break the rust tension while turning out... 

• Like 8

WHGuy413
44 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

It can be done by cutting the pipe about ½" from the engine then making a slice through that pipe to the threads. 

One small shallow notch in the threads won't hurt anything.  

Use a good punch or thick chisel to curl the pipe inward on itself and it'll break the rust tension while turning out... 

yup that’s the new plan. The last couple we just put a little heat to them and they popped out.

• Like 4

johnnymag3
On 1/28/2023 at 5:39 PM, Heatingman said:

Guess I should probably locktite that nut.

I like Nylock nuts......never had a problem.  :) 

John

ebinmaine
30 minutes ago, johnnymag3 said:

I like Nylock nuts......never had a problem.  :) 

John

@Heatingman

I'll second that suggestion.  

On the restorations Trina and I have done I've switched over to using nearly all new grade 8 fasteners and nylocs.  

Price is about the same as grade 5 and they have an added layer of protection from corrosion as well as being a higher strength.  

I'd also add that I usually toss a nyloc nut in the recycling box after 2 or 3 uses.  The holdererer wears out.  

• Like 2

johnnymag3
49 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

The holdererer wears out.  

Silly holderer.....how dare they not last forever. !!!   :text-bump:

Buy they do work well in ALOT of applications, especially in a one time install / usage !!!   :wh:

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

WHGuy413

Got out early to bring “thing 2” to the dentist. When I got home I started moving things around in the garage so I could get my friends C-105 in there. It’s been sitting here forever and I’m finally sick of looking at it. Figured I would try starting it just for giggles. No turn over with the key switch but will spin over if I jump right to the starter. Holy mouse nest and grass clippings coming out of there. Bogged it down. I previously tried dragging it out of its spot with Aiden’s 856 and it wouldn’t drag due to being on 3 flats and sunk into the ground. Hooked it up to my tundra and had my daughter slowly back up and got it to where it was more or less lined up with the garage. The 856 handled it from there with no issues. Once I got it to the front of the garage I pushed it the rest of the way. Pulled the engine shroud off tonight. Started to get cold (really could use heat and a garage expansion) and called it a night. Officially 12 wheel horses in the 2 car garage. Starting to run out of room to work on things. I will be happy when I can take the 2 stage off again. 

54CE6AC7-0FC7-450B-A5A5-E70F5BDE45DC.jpeg

B7253F67-C23A-43AD-981B-4E6679FADF34.jpeg

87ACF715-95C6-414D-A46C-EFAE6491C514.jpeg

• Like 9

Blasterdad
9 minutes ago, WHGuy413 said:

B7253F67-C23A-43AD-981B-4E6679FADF34.jpeg

87ACF715-95C6-414D-A46C-EFAE6491C514.jpeg

Not trying to start another mouse discussion but... of all the available space on a :wh:, why do they always always go for the flywheel..:angry-cussingblack:

Every time I have one of my shroud's off I want to epoxy razor blades to the fin's...:violence-fencing:

IMG_0155.JPG.b3bf4a2221d320eb544ba288f699ccf0.JPGIMG_0416.JPG.c03183158f9da3938a5d71042ee678f5.JPG

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

kpinnc
1 hour ago, WHGuy413 said:

Holy mouse nest and grass clippings

I bleeping hate mice! :ranting:

Cleaned out my garage over the weekend. Mice nests in every corner. How the heck do they get in? 

• Like 2

ebinmaine
5 hours ago, kpinnc said:

I bleeping hate mice! :ranting:

Cleaned out my garage over the weekend. Mice nests in every corner. How the heck do they get in? 

Magic portals

• Haha 4

GAJoe

My mower deck bearings came in so I popped the seals off , cleaned out the grease, and repacked them with Lucas green. The seals are still a week out.

I took the mule apart and went to repack the "good bearing" but upon closer inspection decided to replace both. Got the two ordered.

Edited by GAJoe
added details.
  • Like 3

Tuneup

Is thinking about Wheel Horses a qualifier for this thread? I'm thinking so. Neighbor has a Kohler whole house gen, 20KW, that they are scrapping for an upgrade. Lightning hit on the $1500 control board. Like most of these, it can't be more than 150 hours in. Large, propane driven V-Twin and by the looks of the service manual, a non-tapered crankshaft which is very unusual. I'm tempted to either toss the damaged controller and manually run this thing as a house gen or pull the engine and mount it in the 520H scrapper with a couple of bottles on the back for fuel and ballast. That twin is just glorious. First, I have to pull the beast and move it to the yard. Decisions, decisions.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
9 minutes ago, Tuneup said:

Is thinking about Wheel Horses a qualifier for this thread? I'm thinking so. Neighbor has a Kohler whole house gen, 20KW, that they are scrapping for an upgrade. Lightning hit on the $1500 control board. Like most of these, it can't be more than 150 hours in. Large, propane driven V-Twin and by the looks of the service manual, a non-tapered crankshaft which is very unusual. I'm tempted to either toss the damaged controller and manually run this thing as a house gen or pull the engine and mount it in the 520H scrapper with a couple of bottles on the back for fuel and ballast. That twin is just glorious. First, I have to pull the beast and move it to the yard. Decisions, decisions.

I'd say consideration of a Wheel Horse project is definitely qualification for this thread.

I've mulled over doing a propane conversion myself several times. 

Opportunity for an engine has not presented itself yet. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Tuneup
20 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I'd say consideration of a Wheel Horse project is definitely qualification for this thread.

I've mulled over doing a propane conversion myself several times. 

Opportunity for an engine has not presented itself yet. 

Right? I actually did a propane conversion on a 5500 gen used over Christmas but ran it on gasoline. It ran rich from the restricting inlet snorkel. Lesson learned. Big propane tank not yet tapped, from laziness. How long would it take me to get the 520 converted? A long time, and that lovely 5% THD gen will be sitting with nothing to do. Still, I don't need a gen that big in this little prep-home. A 5500 runs it sans the AC. 20KW is just wasted fuel. Don't tell that to some neighbors who are buying the sell that bigger is better. 26KW all around as people's IQs drop significantly - even in Georgia!!! :rolleyes:

• Haha 3

Handy Don
9 hours ago, Tuneup said:

toss the damaged controller and manually run this thing as a house gen

Yep. Unless you are having an extended outage, any extra fuel consumption isn’t going to be that big a deal (it won’t suck fuel unless heavily loaded) but having the capacity to charge an electric vehicle or share power with a neighbor could come in handy!

Edited by Handy Don
  • Like 1

Ed Kennell
46 minutes ago, Sparky said:

10 minutes before putting it back in the shed

Any sign of that tan watery **** on the dip stik Mike.

R Scheer

Replaced a defective headlight switch.  I have to applaud the Wheelhorse for simplicity.  2 screws to remove the dash, 2 spade connectors to the switch, and 1 nut on the switch.  You can't get it much easier.

• Like 6
  • Excellent 1