Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

EB-80/8inPA
On 5/29/2022 at 8:08 AM, EB-80/8inPA said:

found the air cleaner gasket was messed up, too.  I managed to fashion one out of some 40mil EPDM membrane

I was a little concerned about using this material but assumed it wouldn’t be in contact with gasoline, and it was all I had on hand, anyway.  Well it was getting gassed and started failing fast.  It’s always good to understand the compatibility of materials in contact, but also important is to keep some gasket material on hand for those unforeseen emergency repairs!

Question:  Is it normal for the air cleaner gasket to be exposed to gasoline sitting in front of the choke?  Is this indicative of a carburetor issue?

Stormin

This morning I refitted the finger bar, sickle bar to you lads States side, to the C-81 now it's trans' is fixed. Everything was working fine so decided to have a go at an overgrown section of the bridleway. 

One pass down then back up. That was then Murphy decided to put a spoke in. The finger bar came loose on the gearbox. Only one bolt was stopping it from falling off completely. :blink: And yes! I had tightened them.

OK then! I'll fit new bolts and this time I'll remember to use thread locker. Murphy struck again. I was rather short on imperial bolts of the correct size. So paid a visit to the local smithy. I wasn't holding out much hope, but in old stock the required bolts were obtained. :)

Put everything back together, this time using thread locker. So lets have another test. That Murphy was having a field day. Tractor wouldn't start. Flat battery. I had left the ignition on. :angry-banghead: Battery now on charge, but things will have to wait till Wednesday

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 5

Fishroe

Sounds like something I would do 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, Fishroe said:

Sounds like something I would do 

Oh yeah me too. Absolutely.

Stormin

Change of plans today so back to the C-81. Battery fully charged so lets start her up. Not to be. Starter whirling round but not engaging. Murphy strikes again. :rolleyes:

Easy diagnosis. Sticking bendix. Off with the motor and a squirt or two of brake cleaner and freed up nicely. Replaced and the tractor fired up straight away.

• Like 9

rjg854

Worked on the 1045 again today. I tightened up the steering fan gear on the bar that moves the tie rods. Had to remove the the 2 roll pins and drill the holes for larger roll pins.

PXL_20220607_172453124_MP.jpg.f4b9a00b9ee44a7db747ea62b048a2ab.jpgPXL_20220607_173431665_MP.jpg.b977086e166994f5e6eab4d5da07acdd.jpgPXL_20220607_172510562.jpg.3c1f355c3cf54bea7f634ff43cadecc5.jpg

• Like 8

Evguy

I had tried to find replacement seat springs for the seat tray to no avail. Finding the correct spring so seat switch would work was giving me fits. 
I went to garage and noticed an old dead Briggs twin, I took the valve springs and retainers and bolts and viola, they worked!

I just need to add some rubber bumpers, but they are what I needed. 
I like to recycle stuff!

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3

Handy Don
14 hours ago, rjg854 said:

I tightened up the steering fan gear on the bar that moves the tie rods. Had to remove the the 2 roll pins and drill the holes for larger roll pins.

I had the same problem, but realized that a larger hole in the lower steering shaft would leave less metal at the point of contact. I had seen that later tractors have this joint welded so that became my inaugural use of my new welder. No wiggle.

• Like 3

SylvanLakeWH

@rjg854 looking good!!! :clap:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

squonk
4 minutes ago, rjg854 said:

I considered that myself, but this is how the service bulletin suggested as the fix.

Today I repaired a loose steering arm with the same process. Put a newer pepper pot muffler on and that takes care of the things that needed attention.

Then gave it a MMO rubdown, really improved the appearance.

PXL_20220423_175519095_MP.jpg.f258537f490ab4de6962efa37875ab61.jpg304661542_PXL_20220608_2053527462.jpg.19340848af3e0193c307fef9cd8d5671.jpgPXL_20220423_175534909_MP.jpg.1d9d7efbc06814e5ef02f31a1f57d926.jpg7799283_PXL_20220608_205502133_MP2.jpg.f6d944396951e316edb58ad7f00e5d2f.jpg

I replaced the seat with the style that was originally on it. Now just have to paint the wheels.

Got everything good and Tight? :)

• Like 1

rjg854

I'm happy with it :thumbs:

• Like 1

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, OldWorkHorse said:

drive belt

How's that WHEELHORSE BRAND belt? 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

OutdoorEnvy

@OldWorkHorse That is a darn handy looking setup sir!  Nice rig!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OldWorkHorse
35 minutes ago, OutdoorEnvy said:

@OldWorkHorse That is a darn handy looking setup sir!  Nice rig!

Thank you! 

• Like 1

OldWorkHorse
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

How's that WHEELHORSE BRAND belt? 

It's amazing that new belt with the I forgot to mention new clutch spring I added thing grips and rips! All new horse now haha. Got to get use to it again :scared-eek:

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

mrc

GREAT trailer oldworkhorse!!!

• Like 1

OldWorkHorse

Not much pulled them out of the stables for some fresh air. 

20220611_162306.jpg

20220611_162146.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 7

ebinmaine

Not much pulled them out of the stables for some fresh air. 

Steve which of those run n drive?

Is the 1257 going yet?

OldWorkHorse
4 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Steve which of those run n drive?

Is the 1257 going yet?

All but the 1257Heavy haha :/ soon tho!

• Thanks 1

ebinmaine
Just now, OldWorkHorse said:

All but the 1257Heavy haha :/ soon tho!

Toss it the trailer bub. We'll have it cookin in no time.  

• Excellent 1

JPWH

I removed the ram pac hydraulic pump and installed the rebuilt pump and changed the hydraulic cylinder out with a rebuilt one. No more leak down or hydraulic fluid leaks.

It looks like the pump shaft seal was leaking on the ram pac. I opened it up and found a broken spring.

KIMG0227.JPG.71f4a777cc0852f3337abbabfa1134d3.JPG

• Like 7