Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

Dan.gerous
On 5/25/2022 at 12:21 AM, WHX?? said:

Story of my life.... :D

What you get out of hog farming @Dan.gerous ? What about pork chops, what about pulled pork, what about pork fat rules, what about BACON! :jaw: You guys over ther figure on subsisting on tea & scones?

We have a freezer full of pork :-)

Also drink a lot of tea....

• Like 4

Tuneup
21 hours ago, JoeM said:

Interested to see the results. I got a cub engine on solid mounts, no gears, and it will shake your teeth out. 

I am actually thinking something else is wrong. Idles nice and as it comes up through the RPM it hits some bands of vibration and of course one of them is full throttle. 

One of these days, might just change flywheel and put a run-out gauge on the output shaft to see if it is bent. :confusion-shrug:

Too close to show time going to back burner. 

I sanded the old muffler with sheetrock sandpaper - just perfect for all that scale. Gave it a coat of black. Now, off to get the pipe nub to attach it. After that, START!

Note on the vibration. When on its rubber mounts, it always had a serious vibration band just off idle. Narrow band not in any working RPM but interesting. Changing to solids ended that and she was very smooth. I am anxious to see how the gear removal will affect it. 4 day weekend coming so, yippee!

• Like 6

953 nut
11 hours ago, WHGuy413 said:

mowed this evening with my late grandfathers 416H.

:romance-grouphug:         Always love to hear of a treasured family :wh: being loved by subsequent generations of the family. 

• Like 3
  • Heart 1

Aaron Coffman

Put on a new "Stens" replacement gas cap for my 1981 Wheel Horse Manual C-125. Before and after photos are below. Very happy with the new product!

282298404_677174843379944_7291372964992057391_n.jpg

283269364_787437068907694_855325290146846929_n.jpg

• Like 6
  • Excellent 1

Aaron Coffman
53 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

:romance-grouphug:         Always love to hear of a treasured family :wh: being loved by subsequent generations of the family. 

That's the best way to do it! I got my 1981 Wheel Horse Manual C-125 from my grandfather and am working on fixing up a 1976 Wheel Horse A-90 that my Pap bought new and passed down to my father and now to me. Definitely started a new addiction! haha 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 5

JoeM
1 hour ago, 953 nut said:

:wh: being loved by subsequent generations of the family.

hoping they say that about one of mine in a few long years!

• Like 4
  • Heart 1

peter lena

@WHGuy413  amazing , clean deck and sharp blades !  nice looking set up , also the cut and lay of the cut fits the yard , looks like it should . changed over my cut pattern , so its exactly oposet what I  was doing , looks better and just fits the various angles and slopes I  have . go green , pete

• Like 3

peter lena

@Aaron  Coffman ,  welcome aboard ,  being a newbie , have you ever checked that trans dip stick right there ?  how about the related shift boot ? if oil is milky or funky looking or if shift boot is torn / ripped , time to change both . always look for related issues as you check things , use a razor blade to cut off shifter boot , use dielectric grease on shifter shaft top and related boot hole for easy installation. pete  

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

BrianKoch

Made new battery cables.

A7B11C69-3453-483C-A0AD-303AEF200830.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 5

peter lena

@WHGuy413  amazing , clean deck and sharp blades !  nice looking set up , also the cut and lay of the cut fits the yard , looks like it should . changed over my cut pattern , so its exactly oposet what I  was doing , looks better and just fits the various angles and slopes I  have . go green , pete

• Like 1

ebinmaine
3 hours ago, Aaron Coffman said:

Definitely started a new addiction

It's good that you seem to recognize that early on.

Construction on a larger building is highly advised.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

peter lena

@BrianKoch  nice job on those .  bolt one to battery ground bolt point behind dash , other end to corner of engine , clutch pedal side , use serrated  washers  and dielectric grease . that will enhance grounding for electrical rectifier , on engine tin , also go from rectifier area with a separate wire for better headlight grounding , you will also probably notice your amperage gauge , working with more action due to better grounding . also like your large mount holes , look like 3/8 " ?  keep it sparky , pete

Aaron Coffman
31 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

It's good that you seem to recognize that early on.

Construction on a larger building is highly advised.

A large building is definitely on my wish list! 

• Excellent 1

Aaron Coffman
2 hours ago, peter lena said:

@Aaron  Coffman ,  welcome aboard ,  being a newbie , have you ever checked that trans dip stick right there ?  how about the related shift boot ? if oil is milky or funky looking or if shift boot is torn / ripped , time to change both . always look for related issues as you check things , use a razor blade to cut off shifter boot , use dielectric grease on shifter shaft top and related boot hole for easy installation. pete  

Thank you for the advice! 

• Thanks 1

Tuneup

Always something! Ran out of 1/4" spring clamps so had to hit Ace in town and all they had were worm clamps. Hate those things but the bulb is on. Gave it a few squeezes and the .020 K301 puffed to life without its balance gears. @JoeM, there is increased vibration right through to the seat. It's tolerable. I haven't adjusted high idle yet but it's enough to make the hood rattle. I had to add strips of narrow tubing to where the hood mounts to the tower. Quiet now. Mowed a little in the back. Remarkable compression. She'll idle even lower, though I won't keep it there. Needs to spend more time under load to seal those rings. In the end, if I could reinstall the gears on nice new spindles with nice new bearings, I would.

• Like 4
  • Excellent 2

peter lena

@Tuneup  once I started installing  those fuel check valves , found those dark green  1/4" spring clamps to be a size to size fit on fuel lines. use just a touch of dielectric grease on the nipple end of fitting for fuel line , goes together like butter , slide on clamp , easy ,pete

• Like 2

sjoemie himself

That is a nice unit. My dad uses those on his vintage 2-stroke dirt bike to keep track of when the piston needs changing. Works like a charm.

I've been looking for an analog rpm-gauge which can be installed in a similar way but so far haven't been lucky enough to find one. They all seem to be digital.

If anyone knows a source please let me know.

• Like 3

Tractorhead
27 minutes ago, sjoemie himself said:

That is a nice unit. My dad uses those on his vintage 2-stroke dirt bike to keep track of when the piston needs changing. Works like a charm.

I've been looking for an analog rpm-gauge which can be installed in a similar way but so far haven't been lucky enough to find one. They all seem to be digital.

If anyone knows a source please let me know.

Analog gauges was available about 5years ago for Marine Engines, but actually i also find just digital gauges.

use also one on of the Digital on the Bavarian, this is a combo of RPM and Hour meter.

E3D3E6D4-FE65-4E05-91DE-CB29719A7096.jpeg.f8011babd90cae16f044b88749f220b7.jpeg

it starts automatically if engine turn over.

very handy but only digital available.

• Like 5

pfrederi

I bought one of those digital hour meters (Briggs and Stratton brand) when I bought our JD GT235.  Worked great for about 5 years then the internal non replaceable battery died.  20 years later tractor still runs great but no hour count...

• Like 3

sjoemie himself

Well I did find this but there's little to no product description available. Now I don't mind a bit of a gamble but electronics are a bit of a mystery to me so I have no idea if I can make it work or not. 

Screenshot_20220528-172151.png

• Like 1

Handy Don

Went looking for a combo panel mounted digital volt and amp meter. Cannot find one able to show both positive and negative amperage. Looking like I’ll have two separate meters. 

• Like 1

Tractorhead
55 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

Went looking for a combo panel mounted digital volt and amp meter. Cannot find one able to show both positive and negative amperage. Looking like I’ll have two separate meters. 

Maybe something like this 2“ gauges be interesting?

https://www.marine-discount24.com/faria-chesapeake-ss-white-drehzahlmesser-0-6000-u-min-1.html

https://www.marine-discount24.com/faria-voltmeter-ss-white-fa13805.html

https://www.marine-discount24.com/faria-dress-white-amperemeter-60a-lade-und-entnahmestrom-1.html

They be from a Maritime Shop but they are not really cheap.

As a combo i didn‘t find anything in that size.

edit- 

The ammeter shall be strong enough for a Wheelhorse Starter.

Edit end -

Edited by Tractorhead
  • Like 2