Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

squonk

WH grader blades are too light for any serious work. I have an Allis-Chalmers/ Simplicity mid grader blade. All iron and twice as heavy.

Grader Blade Specifications - Blades - Simple trACtors

1793700048_704(1).jpg.023bef1bbb05f54d72199cb9a86984bd.jpg

Edited by squonk
  • Like 4
  • Excellent 4

Handy Don
15 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

just stands right part way up on the blade ends

In my pre-teens our family had a large garden plot that had to be prepped every year.

The harrow wasn't very heavy so my Dad added a handle and footrests and had either me or one of my brothers stand on it while he ran it back and forth behind the tractor. I probably weighed about 75 or 80 lbs but I guess it was enough. We thought it was kinda fun and way better than picking out the rocks!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 2

SylvanLakeWH
11 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

In my pre-teens our family had a large garden plot that had to be prepped every year.

The harrow wasn't very heavy so my Dad added a handle and footrests and had either me or one of my brothers stand on it while he ran it back and forth behind the tractor. I probably weighed about 75 or 80 lbs but I guess it was enough. We thought it was kinda fun and way better than picking out the rocks!

wearing OSHA approved flip flops of course!!! :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

R Scheer

Changed engine oil and added zinc

Changed hydrostatic fluid and filter

Checked spark plug and air filter

Topped off snowblower auger gearbox, cleaned and lubed chain

Greased zerk fittings

Put 2 stage blower in its summer house

Changed tractor to tow mode

Please excuse the green green things on the front, but I haven't remembered to get the IH red paint yet.

20220509_142000.jpg

• Like 8

Handy Don
1 hour ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

wearing OSHA approved flip flops of course!!! :handgestures-thumbupright:

My Dad, an industrial engineer, was all about safety in so many things (for which I am appreciative) but in others....not so much. :)

We would have been wearing "clod hoppers" since on our family's budget our only other footwear was a pair for school and church.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

squonk
1 hour ago, Handy Don said:

My Dad, an industrial engineer, was all about safety in so many things (for which I am appreciative) but in others....not so much. :)

We would have been wearing "clod hoppers" since on our family's budget our only other footwear was a pair for school and church.

Clod hoppers are fine as long as you tie the laces.

Working nights at the hospital. The 6' main sewer line from the kitchen needed replacing but they weren't going to replace all the way to the 12" main as the floor needed to be jackhammered. The contractor gets to the point where they are going to stop and they inform me that the remaining 50 or so feet really ought to be snaked while it's all open. So I get the big honkin Ridgid cable snake out. The 2 contractor guys are going to help me. 1 guy in the pit,  me running the machine and the other guy I'll call "Lerch" adding cable. I call the guy "Lerch because he's like 9 feet tall with a flat head! Anyway we are running the machine and all of a sudden Lerch yells WHOA! WHOA! He's got his untied shoe laces of his "Clod" kicker boots all wound up in the cable! :hilarious:Takes almost an hour to get him all un wound. :) Start back up and like 10 minutes later he yells WHOA! WHOA! . I shut down again. Now he has his unbuttoned flannel shirt all wound up in the cable! :hilarious:

Edited by squonk
  • Haha 3

Handy Don

"Lerch" sounds like he gives "clods" a bad name. :) He's lucky to have not sustained an serious injury!

And yes, the laces were always a challenge!

Desko

While cleaning up and greasing the D160 something strolled across my mind that most of the D series I've seen had a red decal around the headlights. Was there any rhyme or reason that some had black and most had red? This is the original decal because when my dad redid it they were not available (and that was in '88) hence the wheel horse cart decals on the sides also. 

07B81DD1-72CE-4288-840F-CC52577476E9.jpeg

• Excellent 4

8ntruck

Started on a project to make a concrete footing for the shore end of the dock today.  Step one was digging out a notch in the shore to lay the forms.  Morgan, the 14-8, drew the cart hauling duty to haul the spoils away.  Tomorrow, I set the forms and pour the slab.  Wednesday, I'll set some concrete blocks to hold the bank back.  Dock in by the weekend?  We'll see.

Edited by 8ntruck
  • Like 2

Dan.gerous
3 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

Started on a project to make a concrete footing for the shore end of the dock today.  Step one was digging out a notch in the shore to lathe forms.  Morgan, the 14-8, drew the cart hauling duty to haul the spoils away.  Tomorrow, I set the forms and pour the slab.  Wednesday, I'll set some concrete blocks to hold the bank back.  Dock in by the weekend?  We'll see.

We need pictures! 

😁

• Like 2

D_Mac

My 856 project just got a little brighter. The holes were already in the hood. At one time it must of had lights on it. So I found these for 13 bucks so .......... there they are. Going to install new choke and throttle cables later today. Still have no idea if it's going to run or not but I have faith. Lol I also have another engine in the garage just in case ! 

20220510_075137.jpg

20220510_075128.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 4

8ntruck

Morgan got exercise today pulling a cement mixer, bags of cement, and toting tools around.  Got the pad at the edge of the lake poured for the dock.  Yup, I took a couple of pictures, but I got too wiped out, heaving too many 80 pound bags of concrete around to post them.  Maybe tomorrow.

With any luck, I'll get the blocks laid tomorrow. 

• Like 5

D_Mac

Put the new carb and the dash plate on the 856 project.

20220510_151447.jpg

20220510_161618.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 6

ebinmaine
43 minutes ago, D_Mac said:

new carb

What do you do with the old original carburetors?

• Thanks 1

D_Mac
3 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

It's wasn't all there. 

• Like 1

kpinnc
5 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Jumping into someone else's conversation but...

I rebuild them if possible and set them in spares.

Guess I've been lucky on the cloned carbs, but mine work great. 

Edited by kpinnc
  • Like 1

ebinmaine
5 minutes ago, kpinnc said:

Jumping into someone else's conversation but...

I rebuild them if possible and set them in spares.

Guess I've been lucky on the cloned carbs, but mine work great. 

Wish I could be so lucky. I've had four. All four were garbage.  3 were on Kohler 16. One on a Briggs I think. 18 HP. 

• Sad 1

Monstrosity

Well my son said the tractor is too loud (over sensitive hearing). So I poked around on Amazon found a cheap Kohler 10-12hp muffler and made it a stack. It's not a tractor with a stack.... (I still have the original tuna can that has no packing left in it.) I need to cut off mounting braket and add a heat shroud to finish it just probably going to get a piece of exhaust pipe and drill holes in it.

20220511_205358.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 2

ebinmaine
10 minutes ago, Monstrosity said:

a tractor 

Looking forward to seeing more pics

• Like 1

D_Mac

@ebinmaine I haven't had much luck with replacement carbs either but on this one I want to spend as little as possible until I know what I have.

• Like 1

Horse Newbie
On 5/7/2022 at 6:50 PM, SylvanLakeWH said:

:text-yeahthat: 

Me too.

Discount Tire. $10. Done.

:twocents-twocents:

Can Discount Tire do the front 8” rims ?

• Like 2

ebinmaine
7 hours ago, D_Mac said:

@ebinmaine I haven't had much luck with replacement carbs either but on this one I want to spend as little as possible until I know what I have.

Reasonable idea. Do you know if it turns over? Feels like it has compression? Has spark?

D_Mac
3 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Reasonable idea. Do you know if it turns over? Feels like it has compression? Has spark?

It spins over by hand. Is about  all I know at this point. The engine is at my buddy's house he was a small engine mechanic in his day. Now he is older and works very very slow. I don't rush him or get in his way. I appreciate his help as I couldn't do it by myself.

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH
12 hours ago, Horse Newbie said:

Can Discount Tire do the front 8” rims ?

Yes

• Thanks 1