Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

WHX??

Thanks kp.... my first resto & lots of imperfections in the sheet metal & paint but she don't seem to mind when she gets put to work. 1257 plow mule is cracked in the same spot. The hood stand is only about 18 gauge and sees stress from the lift lever. 

• Like 3

JoeM
17 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

Shaker plate engine mounts.......One of Wheel Horses bad ideas.

And CUB too! must have been a trend (or like I say a good idea at the time) 

this is one way I have replaced those rubber mounts. 1/2" bar stock 3" long x 1 1/2" wide. a little work to drill and tap but works good.

image.png.54898d37e3ad94ca365e1a20e762c599.png

• Like 8
  • Excellent 1

peter lena

@WHX??  very nice job on that  !  personally  I  think that plate was never square and flat , for fit , that type of crack  indicates a horizontal working line stress crack. on the other hand its been doing the job for a very long time. nice job , pete

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

davem1111
2 hours ago, Ifixoldjunk said:

Well I’ve been working on this for a while. Started off as a dented, rusted basket case. I’ve really only just doctored it up as I’ve gone along. I’d like to start restoring it eventually. But first I need to replace a few bad parts, like the rusted exhaust and cracked headlights bezels. 
Im currently working on a deal to get most of those parts, including a front weight bar attachment.

still a long way from what it was.

I priced those plastic bezels and they aren't cheap.  A friend has a 3-D printer, wondering if he can make some?

Tractor looks good though - far from a dented rusted basket case.  Nice work. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

Maxwell-8
On 5/3/2022 at 8:48 PM, Ed Kennell said:

Shaker plate engine mounts.......One of Wheel Horses bad ideas.     :bitch:

Good intention, bad implementation

On 5/3/2022 at 9:45 PM, cleat said:

My Ford LGT165 had those as well.

Must have been something about that time frame.

I think it was a 1979 or thereabouts..

yup, Jacobsen who build the 1250 - 1650 for ford LGT125 - LGT165 used the same style rubber mounts. 1977-1980 so Wheel horse stole that idea :ph34r: :law-policered:

Just sold my 1250 (12hp Kohler) today: You can see the two bushings just above the rear wheel  

DSC_0256.JPG.fbed990bb16bafcad63c9b8ae02bfdbc.JPG

Edited by Maxwell-8
  • Like 3

kpinnc
8 hours ago, JoeM said:

Shaker plate engine mounts.......One of Wheel Horses bad ideas.

Come to think of it, this wasn't exclusive to Wheel Horse or Jacobsen. I know Case Ingersoll used the same iso mount too. 

But yeah, really bad idea.

Edited by kpinnc
  • Like 2

JoeM
1 hour ago, D_Mac said:

Decided not to repaint it.

Just a clear coat.

I know I am looking at doing one now and was wondering if anyone used Eastwood Patina Preserver? 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

rjg854

@AMC RULES likes Eastwood products, wonder if he's heard about it :confusion-scratchheadblue:

• Like 1

D_Mac
15 minutes ago, JoeM said:

Just a clear coat.

I know I am looking at doing one now and was wondering if anyone used Eastwood Patina Preserver? 

I have never used it. Most of the tractors I do I just clean them well and rub everything down with boiled linseed oil. Some I might touch up some paint but rarely paint the whole tractor. This Lambert is the only tractor that I painted the whole thing. Most all of the others I get away with just painting the rims and deck, touching up the rest.

20210314_230430.jpg

20210314_230634.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 4

953 nut
2 hours ago, D_Mac said:

good friend helped me add a little personal touch

Von Dutch would approve.    

image.jpeg.6db1c9ca4fae76c64f99c26d800a4006.jpegimage.jpeg.19e2a18007df287e38af595c0c5eaadd.jpegimage.jpeg.ed1cb2c5cfe0256ef83ca918b7044416.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3

D_Mac

Takes a steady hand and some good brushes. Now if I can only get it to run !!! If not, I will have some cool yard art !!

• Haha 5

ebinmaine
3 minutes ago, D_Mac said:

get it to run

That's a Kohler. It'll run.   

• Like 2

8ntruck

Both Horses got some exercise today.  The job was to run the lawn sweeper around the yard.  I had intended to use the C195, as it is parked ahead of the sweeper in the shed.  The 14-8 fired up and gave the C195 access to the great outdoors.  The C195 did not fire right up.  I tinkered with it a bit, but no go.  I pushed it out of the shed, removed the battery and put it on a charger while I used the 14- 8 to sweep the lawn.

Motoring back to the shed, it suddenly came to me that I had not opened the gas tank valve on the C195 :angry-banghead:.  I put the battery back in, opened the gas valve.  Low and behold, it started right up!  Rather than just back it into the shed, I drove it around a bit to limber it up from its long winter nap.

Names for both tractors popped into my head while I was running the sweeper.  Clyde for the C195, and Morgan for the 14-8.  Why Clyde?  It occurred to me that the C195 is the Clydesdale of the C series, so Clyde is a good fit.  Why Morgan?  Well, the Morgan horse is a good, strong multi purpose working horse.  That is a good description of a 14-8.

The new propane tank for the lake house got delivered today.  We own it, so we are not trapped by a single propane supplier.  I've got to call the owner of the lease tank the previous owner had to tell them that their tank is now disconnected and make sure that is the one they take whenever they finally decide to come to pick it up.

Edited by 8ntruck
  • Like 4

ebinmaine
7 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

it suddenly came to me that I had not opened the gas tank valve on the C195 :angry-banghead:.  I put the battery back in, opened the gas valve.  Low and behold, it started right up!

I've never done anything like that. Today. But it's early yet.

Nice job on the name choice. I like it.

cleat
15 hours ago, Maxwell-8 said:

Good intention, bad implementation

yup, Jacobsen who build the 1250 - 1650 for ford LGT125 - LGT165 used the same style rubber mounts. 1977-1980 so Wheel horse stole that idea :ph34r: :law-policered:

Just sold my 1250 (12hp Kohler) today: You can see the two bushings just above the rear wheel  

DSC_0256.JPG.fbed990bb16bafcad63c9b8ae02bfdbc.JPG

This is my LGT165 right after I got done fixing it up with the 42" deck installed.

786805933_1986FordLGT1.jpg.1e8d4bf02f2024d7bdce4d61a539f4f5.jpg

This is it with the 2 stage snow blower installed.

628032676_1986FordLGT2.jpg.e88a67096ec8686bfa249c46188b6701.jpg

Sold it when the Wheel Horse bug bit.

Miss the old girl but the Horses are so much easier to work on.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3

Maxwell-8
2 minutes ago, cleat said:

Sold it when the Wheel Horse bug bit.

Miss the old girl but the Horses are so much easier to work on.

Oh for sure, Main raison I did it a way was to make room for the Horses as they are a easier and a lot more fun to work on.

Havent's seen a Ford GT in Europe, but would love to pick me one up. 

• Like 2

johnnymag3

Never liked the blue ones....or the yeller ones....or those darn green things.....

BUT LOVE THE RED ONES!!!!!!!!!!!!!     keep the RED and toss the GREEN......Like a Watermelon.    :)

Working on a Wheel Horse is so mechanic friendly....or McFriendly as known in my neck of the woods    :)

John

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 3

Lee1977
19 hours ago, kpinnc said:

Come to think of it, this wasn't exclusive to Wheel Horse or Jacobsen. I know Case Ingersoll used the same iso mount too. 

But yeah, really bad idea.

Might have been Cub or Ford that had  Kohler to make them they both had those shallow oil pans. Could be Kohler made too many and had to sell them cheaper just to get them sold.

ebinmaine
5 minutes ago, Lee1977 said:

Might have been Cub or Ford that had  Kohler to make them they both had those shallow oil pans. Could be Kohler made too many and had to sell them cheaper just to get them sold.

Interesting point there.

Do we know if there were ANY Kohler engines sold in that era WITHOUT the shaker plate?

Point being, I wonder if this is Kohler's idea and nobody had a choice..

• Like 1

kpinnc
6 minutes ago, Lee1977 said:

Could be Kohler made too many and had to sell them cheaper just to get them sold.

Yep. Prolly one of those "corporate sale" pitches to make the tractors better than the competition.

• Like 1

Lee1977
28 minutes ago, kpinnc said:

Yep. Prolly one of those "corporate sale" pitches to make the tractors better than the competition.

Might have worked if they had used polyurethane bushings.  Don't know if they were avertable beck then. I replace all the front end bushing on my 88 conversion van some time in the later 90's made a big difference.

• Like 4

sws@att.net

New muffler stack and cleaned her up to cut the grass worked great c100 with side discharge mower 

C0314F66-B282-43E6-A069-A19CAAA388BD.jpeg

B1A4E03A-CD89-4FA4-913F-A686BBD699C5.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Excellent 2
  • Heart 1

Dan.gerous

Unloaded the car into the workshop on the ship, will fetch the plow on if I get the wheels done.

They are solid on the rims so have left them soaking in WD40 for a while, hopefully that will help break the bead....that and a large hammer! Who knows how long they have been on the rims for.

Forgot to bring the little key for removing the tyre valve, luckily two very small flat head screw drivers does the same trick.

Now its time to go to work, but its strangely comforting having a project from home to keep me busy :-)

20220505_203226[1].jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 5