Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

Tuneup

Cleaned the lands and measured the ring gaps on the new rings for the P216 - .018. Very nice. So little wear on this engine but poorly taken care of so some more color on the pistons than I would like. Journals OK but will get a mild polish. Rods fine. Fitted the rear rings with the help of snap ring pliers - an online tip I liked. Sweet. I'll have this engine buttoned-up this weekend, barring some other crisis. Note: gave up on attempting to remove the flywheel. It bent 1/4" steel with all four bolts in place. It doesn't have to be removed - was once before and was obviously under torqued by the former owner. Had no trouble then...

• Like 5

WHX??
18 hours ago, Andy N. said:

Drilling extra holes that aren't factory in the tins is one of my pet peeves.

Amen to that! 

• Like 3

lynnmor
3 hours ago, Tuneup said:

Note: gave up on attempting to remove the flywheel. It bent 1/4" steel with all four bolts in place. It doesn't have to be removed - was once before and was obviously under torqued by the former owner. Had no trouble then...

So you had the flywheel off before and reinstalled it?  Did you torque it to 55 ft. lbs.?  Did you have the puller bolted tight to the flywheel, or was there space behind it?  I'm just trying to figure out the problem.  Make a new puller with 1/2" steel so you have it if there is ever a need.

ebinmaine
22 minutes ago, Greentored said:

Custom

I hadn't noticed until now that you have a slide throttle in a push pull choke. interesting concept I've mulled over myself because I'm not at all fond of the push pull throttle.

I see you still have a extry hole in the dash awaiting a gauge. I'm going to need you to get that filled up soon please.

:lol:

Absolutely beautiful tractor.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Greentored
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

I hadn't noticed until now that you have a slide throttle in a push pull choke. interesting concept I've mulled over myself because I'm not at all fond of the push pull throttle.

I see you still have a extry hole in the dash awaiting a gauge. I'm going to need you to get that filled up soon please.

:lol:

Absolutely beautiful tractor.

I happened to find an oil temp gauge brand new in box back in the archives. Per discussion on the other thread, guess its getting oil temp instead of head temp ha.

• Like 1

Greentored
On 1/22/2021 at 6:25 PM, Horse Newbie said:

@Maxwell-8, @WVHillbilly520H, @lynnmor, @ebinmaine, @Tractorhead

What's this 1994 520H complete, everything works, in NC worth ?

Don't worry, you guys aren't gonna hurt my feelings...

20210117_172123.jpg

I'm an hour north of you, welcome to the addiction!  Those bring GOOD money around here, but you're not gonna get squat til spring, or so I'm finding.

Throw a clean deck on her, thats a 1000-1200.00 machine without the rest of the attachments pretty easily.

• Like 2

Pullstart

Sleigh ride nap!

8B9B477A-AA58-404D-B560-DAF153A2B432.jpeg

4168F14F-C808-40AE-BF86-EF6A1B4FF841.jpeg

ECF59D5D-2009-4E88-91BA-D685E45CE9D1.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Excellent 3

Tuneup
8 hours ago, lynnmor said:

So you had the flywheel off before and reinstalled it?  Did you torque it to 55 ft. lbs.?  Did you have the puller bolted tight to the flywheel, or was there space behind it?  I'm just trying to figure out the problem.  Make a new puller with 1/2" steel so you have it if there is ever a need.

The former owner replaced the ignition trigger and did not torque the flywheel. She popped right off for inspection when I got it. I torqued it to spec and am paying the price. After I break it in, I'll surely build a hard-assed puller. I do hate that I can't remove it. Thanks!

Chris.s

I have an older wheel horse with a tecumseh H60-75182H engine. The serial on the hood is 26737 any idea what model and year. Looks similar to a suburban 400 but can't find the engine. 3 speed with reverse. 

ebinmaine
14 minutes ago, Chris.s said:

I have an older wheel horse with a tecumseh H60-75182H engine. The serial on the hood is 26737 any idea what model and year. Looks similar to a suburban 400 but can't find the engine. 3 speed with reverse. 

:text-welcomeconfetti:

If you could post some pics it would help us identify the tractor for you. 

Chris.s

Thus is the best I have for now. Thanks 

20210127_210709.jpg

20210123_184704.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

76c12091520h

All I planned to do to my 854 was just tidy a few things up; we all know how that goes. I have a new seat cover to install and when I removed the old one I found a 1/4" thick steel plate bolted on top of the cracked original seat pan. Removed the seat pan and saw how they are held together: The reinforcing plate is crimped to the upper pan and it works loose over time causing the seat to twist and crack, so I straightened out the metal and used our resistance spot welder to put them together properly and permanently. It will look factory and hold up much better. Also mig-welded the cracks in the top of the pan.

20210127_170055[1].jpg

20210127_170127[1].jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 2

Pullstart
1 hour ago, Chris.s said:

Thus is the best I have for now. Thanks 

20210127_210709.jpg

20210123_184704.jpg

:text-welcomeconfetti:  as @wallfish mentioned, you have a 1960 400 or 550, with an incorrect engine.  Those rear tires are rather sought after, hopefully they hold air or at least some tubes and don’t throw them away!

*edit* the fronts are original looking as well.  The white stains in the tires indicate they were or are calcium chloride filled, which is notorious for rotting the wheels away.  Hopefully you have a way to break th wheels and tires down to clean the wheels up and fix the rust! :handgestures-thumbupright:

Edited by pullstart
  • Like 2

Chris.s

Sadly the rear tires are blown out. Fronts still calcium filled. Was sitting for 35 plus years when I got it. Had it running and driving in 3 days. Need a gas tank if anyone has leads. 

• Like 3

Pullstart
9 minutes ago, Chris.s said:

Sadly the rear tires are blown out. Fronts still calcium filled. Was sitting for 35 plus years when I got it. Had it running and driving in 3 days. Need a gas tank if anyone has leads. 

bummer about the diamond treads!  Great news running and driving it!

• Like 2

Chris.s

Any idea what this machine would be valued at. 

Maxwell-8

Today is tranny day, removing hubs, replacing seals.

Made myself a hub puller, ain't the best one for the hubs, but it's better then the hammer.

Working on 3 transmission at the moment, all with leaking axle seals. OEM seals, how long will they last on average?

Once the tranny's are good, time to restore the pre-toro 314-8 with the K321 and  8 pinion 1 1/8 inch axles tranny

And protecting the decks against rust before the season.

@ebinmaine because you asked: pics!:handgestures-thumbupright:

DSC_0273.JPG

DSC_0274.JPG

DSC_0275.JPG

DSC_0276.JPG

DSC_0277.JPG

DSC_0278.JPG

Edited by Maxwell-8
  • Like 7

Pullstart
9 hours ago, Chris.s said:

Any idea what this machine would be valued at. 

It’s hard to say.  With work done to fit the incorrect engine, it hurts it’s value to a purist.  It would be helpful to have pictures of the front end and other side but maybe 150-300 with a lot of variables...  Does it have a belt guard?  Exhaust heat shield?  Etc.

953 nut
11 hours ago, Chris.s said:

:WRS:

Although there have been a few modifications :scared-eek: made by previous owners and the engine is not the original one it would probably be worth $ 200 as it sits. If it had good tires and a running Kohler K-91 you could expect to pay twice that amount for the same tractor.

What are your plans for this :wh:?  Do you have any others you would like to share pictures of?

Edited by 953 nut

Gregor

"Any idea what this machine would be valued at"

I do know you can rebuild that Tecumseh motor for about $1.000.000.00, and not even have the same motor anymore! :)

• Haha 2

Chris.s
2 hours ago, 953 nut said:

I will start a new thread and I will post more pictures when I get time this evening. I am planning on doing a complete disassembly and repaint everything. Motor runs great. I may try and find a different motor or fab. the hood to fit more correctly. If anyone has leads on a fuel tank, motor, Throttle and choke cables that would be awesome. I paid 350 for this tractor along with another one that I have 0 clue what it is. The other one has an Clinton Machine Engine and is steered using a lever. 

ebinmaine
40 minutes ago, Chris.s said:

Lever steer?? That puts you back a few years. How about some pics of that?

Chris.s

I will add when I get a chance I have it stored in a trailer currently. I do not believe it is a wheel horse. Originally thought it was a Gibson however I have found 0 identification on it. 

• Like 1