Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

ebinmaine
35 minutes ago, Jeff-C175 said:

'  Last time I helped him I got a nice 27" flat screen TV that he pulled off a trash pile and repaired.  It's a damn nice TV!  Perfect for the shop.  Now he has something to watch other than me fix his car!  Maybe he'll bring a nice recliner chair next? ;)

Not to sound ungrateful but maybe you could inform that person there is a 2 recliner minimum?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Maxwell-8
48 minutes ago, pullstart said:

3 things i never lend to nobody:

3) my wife

2) my underwear

1) my tools! 

• Haha 4

Maxwell-8
On 7/23/2020 at 6:31 PM, stevasaurus said:

I think is going on with those 10 pinion limited slip transmissions.  There are 3 kinds from the sixties...#5060, #5071 & 5073.  The differences between these are...the 5060 has aluminum end plates for the differential...the 5071 has steel end  plates...the 5073 has steel end plates and a dip stick.  From all I have seen, the 5060 & 5071 will have the 1" extension.  The 5073 does not need one with a dip stick.  The extension does raise the oil level that little bit, which raises the oil level inside the differential which give more lubrication to those floating pinions.

The thing we do not know for sure...were these 1" extensions factory, or were they added on to solve a problem.  Either way, if I had a 10 pinion limited slip transmission without a 1" extension and no dip stick...I think I would add one.  The extension is the only way to know if you have that extra little bit of oil.  

I don't have the extend dipstick on my Raider. So it will hold 2qt as well? Thanks again for the info!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
10 minutes ago, Maxwell-8 said:

I don't have the extend dipstick on my Raider. So it will hold 2qt as well? Thanks again for the info!

Strictly speaking about the size of the gearbox itself all of these transmission will hold three or four quarts. Maybe even more.

You don't want to put that much in though because having too much oil could cover the gears too high and cause foaming which could potentially do more harm than good.

• Excellent 1

Horse Newbie

Hello from NC...Horse Newbie here...

Didn't know where to put this comment so I thought I would drop it here and see watch I catch.

Is there anywhere on Red Square that any of you are aware of that gives instructions on buffing, waxing, and restoring original Wheel Horse paint.

I had ordered new decals from @Vinylguy and want to make my original paint look as good as possible.

Thanks,

Tim

20210117_172123.jpg

20210117_124758.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3

Pullstart
6 hours ago, Maxwell-8 said:

6 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Strictly speaking about the size of the gearbox itself all of these transmission will hold three or four quarts. Maybe even more.

You don't want to put that much in though because having too much oil could cover the gears too high and cause foaming which could potentially do more harm than good.

I am under the impression that if the limited slip 10 pinion rigs hold 2 qts, the rest can just as well.  Like @Oldskool’s turbine drums, we’re not running 60 mph and there shouldn’t ever be a negative foaming effect.   At the end of the day, I imagine these hold up with 1/2 qt in them for many of years, any appropriate treatment will yield infinite results.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Flat Thunder Channel

I removed the seat and fender from the 520-H.  I have a leak that is turning into more than the occasional drip.  Leaked the case, at least what you can read on the dipstick, out over 1-2 days.

I think I found it!  This tube nut is tight but the fitting as it enters the filter housing wiggles easily with light pressure on the tube nut.  Does this seal with orings?  Thinking I should try to tighten it up.Anyone else have this?

IMG_20210121_003721.jpg

• Like 2

ebinmaine
6 hours ago, pullstart said:

I am under the impression that if the limited slip 10 pinion rigs hold 2 qts, the rest can just as well.  Like @Oldskool’s turbine drums, we’re not running 60 mph and there shouldn’t ever be a negative foaming effect.   At the end of the day, I imagine these hold up with 1/2 qt in them for many of years, any appropriate treatment will yield infinite results.

1/2 quart extra is certainly no problem. I was thinking of more like 3+. 

• Like 1

ebinmaine
6 hours ago, Horse Newbie said:

Hello from NC...Horse Newbie here...

Didn't know where to put this comment so I thought I would drop it here and see watch I catch.

Is there anywhere on Red Square that any of you are aware of that gives instructions on buffing, waxing, and restoring original Wheel Horse paint.

I had ordered new decals from @Vinylguy and want to make my original paint look as good as possible.

Thanks,

Tim

20210117_172123.jpg

20210117_124758.jpg

There several methods. 

@AMC RULES has had GREAT success. 

AMC RULES

A liberal cleaning and detail, then cut and buff the tins...

that thing will glow like new. 

20201208_183959.jpg.5ac2706303184a1e7925dd5bee578a01.jpg

20201114_153754.jpg.a8a679c13ba0579433a9a5f36e5dc57c.jpg

20201114_183925.jpg.86f37872e6162fd91934ce33af2593b2.jpg

Two examples of the finished product on both, new and old paint.

Edited by AMC RULES
  • Like 4
  • Excellent 3

Horse Newbie
4 hours ago, AMC RULES said:

A liberal cleaning and detail, then cut and buff the tins...

that thing will glow like new. 

Cut with what ?...like 1000 grit sandpaper...

Thanks, 

Tim

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

AMC RULES

Ummm, no!

Here, for example...

• Like 5

Horse Newbie
39 minutes ago, AMC RULES said:

Ummm, no!

Here, for example...

@AMC RULES

I watched the video...now I'm an expert...lol:lol:

Seriously though, if you look closely at the pic above of my hood with the washers laying on it...

Do you think the content shown in the video will remove those water spots ?

Not looking for perfection, just protection... and a little bit of shine.

I want to keep the original paint/ patina...

survivor...like one person has mentioned here;

I think a tractor with a sort of worn paint and new wheels has a "pop" to it.

Thanks again for your help.

Tim

• Like 1

Maxwell-8
1 hour ago, Horse Newbie said:

like 1000 grit sandpaper...

If it is really bad, wet sand with 4000,

Then compound, and then polish it, after that WAX!

Edited by Maxwell-8
  • Like 2

Horse Newbie

@Maxwell-8

If you don't mind take a look at my pic above

(#8809) and tell me your opinion as to whether you think the paint is in bad enough shape to warrant wet sanding.

I'm gathering info. right now...not gonna get too crazy too fast.

Thanks, Tim

Maxwell-8
6 minutes ago, Horse Newbie said:

@Maxwell-8

If you don't mind take a look at my pic above

(#8809) and tell me your opinion as to whether you think the paint is in bad enough shape to warrant wet sanding.

I'm gathering info. right now...not gonna get too crazy too fast.

Thanks, Tim

If i where to be you i would  try compound first. compound is more aggressive then polish. and wet sanding oh man, it's a mess. The paint will first look worst, to then be compounded. 

I got some shiny results on worse paint whit a good compound. (I do use a machine.)

Edited by Maxwell-8
  • Like 1

Horse Newbie
15 minutes ago, Maxwell-8 said:

If i where to be you i would  try compound first. compound is more aggressive then polish. and wet sanding oh man, it's a mess. The paint will first look worst, to then be compounded. 

I got some shiny results on worse paint whit a good compound. (I do use a machine.)

I would definitely do compound before wet sanding...thanks !

Horse Newbie

@D_Mac   Yes I would say it came out very good...that is the look I am going for.

A tractor that looks like a worker that is well taken care of.

My deck will be completely redone, replacing any wheels, bearings/ pulleys, spindle housings, etc, that is needed.

Edited by Horse Newbie
  • Thanks 1

D_Mac
2 hours ago, Horse Newbie said:

@D_Mac   Yes I would say it came out very good...that is the look I am going for.

A tractor that looks like a worker that is well taken care of.

My deck will be completely redone, replacing any wheels, bearings/ pulleys, spindle housings, etc, that is needed.

A good cleaning makes them look so much better. As you could see in the photos the decals on mine where in poor condition. Held on with 3 different kinds of tape. @Vinylguy came up with a custom design. The seat was also replaced. Deck and wheels got new spray paint. The rest of it was cleaning and polishing. I have only repainted only one tractor that I have done.

Horse Newbie
1 minute ago, D_Mac said:

A good cleaning makes them look so much better. As you could see in the photos the decals on mine where in poor condition. Held on with 3 different kinds of tape. @Vinylguy came up with a custom design. The seat was also replaced. Deck and wheels got new spray paint. The rest of it was cleaning and polishing. I have only repainted only one tractor that I have done.

That's exactly what I have in mind for my 520H...wash, polish, wax, new decals...

I did have my rims powder coated.

Deck will be wire brushed, stress cracks repaired, new parts where needed to make fully functioning, painted, with new decals. 

Seat has a few small bad places on the cushion...probably will paint back and bottom of seat...

Maxwell-8
13 hours ago, Horse Newbie said:

bearings/ pulleys,

I just degreased and regreased  all my pulleys for the deck. I am falling in love with the serviceability on those Wheel Horses.

So today, i went searching for another Wheel Horse. (never can have enough i guess) Only to find out prices are risen big time.:eusa-doh:

image.png.0bbaaa05b28e26a3c12f3d71cbb77883.png

It has a Briggs vertical engine. so no Kohler and therefore no horizontal input transmission.

he is asking over 1000$!! :shock: :hand:

Edited by Maxwell-8
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3

ebinmaine
5 minutes ago, Maxwell-8 said:

Apparently they think that's made out of platinum cuz it just isn't worth that much, at least over here....

• Excellent 1

Tractorhead

Hahaha, the Platinum super High Glossy Verticals....

They be here also a little Crazy about the Prices too.

Found the other Day a „ unique Wheelhorse D200“ offered for „only“ 2400 bucks...

The best info was when i called him, it should maybe run, but needs maybe also a little bit of Oil...

on the phonecall i find out it was a 211 with a heavy smoker Engine i could‘nt Beat...

But he meant „it‘s the best tracta you can buy for that little Money..“

I can‘t supress a laugher while that phonecall and must hangup..

• Haha 4

Maxwell-8
3 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

at least over here....

That is worth max 400 here.

But the see Wheel Horse, so they think every Wheel Horse is the same

• Like 1