Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

BeninCT
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

@BeninCT and @Handy Don 

Trina is NOT into flash and bling much at all. 

"Shiny" is neat but not practical to her general mindset. 

I mentioned something about having under carriage lights a few days ago and casually said that would be neat... 

That's Paint Department code language for "I would like that on my tractah". 

So yesterday I set and ordered us up some mini LEDs with a 3/8" mounting hole requirement. ..... Like the multiple holes in a Wheelhorse frame..... Bling will be happening. 

Red, white, blue, amber, and green. 

They'll be used on a few things here...

Should give a nice glow under any tractor while plowing snow at night AND offer that much extra visibility to passing vehicles. 

Looking forward to seeing those little lights.  I wimped out...  nothing better than being able to see and be seen at night though.  Might want them on a switch that is always hot so you can show off without the engine running.

• Like 2

peter lena

JHOOK, WOULD LIKE TO FIND ONE OF THOSE , seen the set up and the most important thing i can see is the lubrication detailing to make anything work easily . I  also have a solid 42 " side discharge deck in solid shape , that i do not use , pete 

peter lena

BENIN CT , noting your battery light picture, good opportunity to increase your engine grounding, left hand side of battery , there is a FLAT GROUND RAIL , THAT GROUNDS YOUR  BATTERY, i used a 4 ga cable and electrical bolt on open eye ends , from corner engine mount , next to clutch pedal , up to that rail , eliminating grounding issues i had , just an idea, pete 

• Like 2

ebinmaine
31 minutes ago, BeninCT said:

nothing better than being able to see and be seen at night though.  Might want them on a switch that is always hot so you can show off without the engine running

Quite true. 

On her 867 they'll be wired hot all the time and most likely connected to the headlights. 

Not sure on the others yet...

WVHillbilly520H
1 hour ago, AHS said:

Nice truck!! @WVHillbilly520H what’s it got? 350/ th400? A 4 speed manual?

Factory 454 4spd with PTO Hydraulic bed,  even had A/C Scottsdale pkg.

• Like 5

WVHillbilly520H

IMAG4865.jpg

• Excellent 1
  • Heart 2

AHS
2 hours ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

Factory 454 4spd with PTO Hydraulic bed,  even had A/C Scottsdale pkg.

What your saying is factory muscle and oodles of torque!! 💪💪 And a/c!! 😎

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

WVHillbilly520H
38 minutes ago, AHS said:

What your saying is factory muscle and oodles of torque!! 💪💪 And a/c!! 😎

Yes sir, unfortunately the A/C was no longer working so off came 150#. Now it's 2 x 55 with those quarter wing vents and the one in the kick panel.

• Like 5

tom2p

even the low horse 396 / 402 big blocks had gobs of torque - so I can imagine the 454 was even better 

many considered the Buick 455 and Olds 455 to be the torque masters of the vintage GM big blocks - but I was impressed with the Chevy big blocks 

( I had 396/402 Chevy and 455 Olds - and my next door neighbor had 455 Buick )

• Like 2

WVHillbilly520H
1 minute ago, tom2p said:

even the low horse 396 / 402 big blocks had gobs of torque - so I can imagine the 454 was even better 

many considered the Buick 455 and Olds 455 to be the torque masters of the vintage GM big blocks - but I was impressed with the Chevy big blocks 

( I had 396/402 Chevy and 455 Olds - and my next door neighbor had 455 Buick )

Last big trip with it I had right at 2 cord of hardwood (wild cherry and locust) over to my parents up 9% grades with 25mph turns 4 .5 miles to the top,never took it out of 3rd (2 on the knob) all the way up.

20191109_143012_HDR.jpg

• Like 5
  • Heart 3

AHS

@WVHillbilly520H just like Tim the tool man says “urh urh urh!!” Now that’s power!!💪😎

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Horse Newbie

Today I installed my thrust bearings that go between the axle and spindles on my 1994 520H...

Ordered them from Lowell at "Wheel Horse Parts and More.

20210117_124727.jpg

20210117_124758.jpg

20210117_130153.jpg

20210117_132644.jpg

Edited by Horse Newbie
  • Like 5
  • Excellent 4

953 nut
12 minutes ago, Horse Newbie said:

I installed my thrust bearings that go bet ween the axle and spindles on my 1994 520H..

:text-yeahthat:             How much material did you have to remove from the axle to be able to put the snap rings back on the spindles?

• Like 2

Horse Newbie

Painted my footrests/ running boards on my 520H today, getting them ready for tread pads that I am making out of that "stick-on" sandpaper safety tread...

Painted them Rustoleum Regal Red...

20210117_151327.jpg

20210117_151341.jpg

20210117_152239.jpg

20210117_152246.jpg

20210117_170731.jpg

20210117_170721.jpg

20210117_151359.jpg

20210117_161818.jpg

20210117_165748.jpg

• Like 7

Horse Newbie
10 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

:text-yeahthat:             How much material did you have to remove from the axle to be able to put the snap rings back on the spindles?

Do you mean crud in the groove ?

WVHillbilly520H
6 minutes ago, Horse Newbie said:

Do you mean crud in the groove ?

Usually one has to "grind" the top of the spindled housing to get the torrington bearings to fit and install the snap rings, not always but most times 

• Like 3

ohiofarmer

I took a loosely mounted rear hanger from a c-141 and wanted to mount it on a 520-H as the c is not quite ready o go. I struggled a lot to get the plow snugged on and discovered that the Eaton had a low spot that messed things up getting the mounting bar to seat fully I was figuring that I would have to grind the mounting bar and put it off till tomorrow.

But wait! I am thinking that a shim under the axle would take it lower by just the right amount, Loosen the bolts and slip it in there --I hope,,,,,,,Anyway, I thought of it right in the middle of a conversation with the missus.  She is always telling me I am not a good listener, at least I think that is what she says

Edited by ohiofarmer
  • Haha 2

WVHillbilly520H
Just now, ohiofarmer said:

I took a loosely mounted rear hanger from a c-141 and wanted to mount it on a 520-H as the c is not quite ready, I struggled a lot to get the plow snugged on and discovered that the Eaton had a low spot that messed things up I was figuring that I would have to grind the mounting bar and put it off till tomorrow.

But wait! I am thinking that a shim under the axle would take it lower by just the right amount, Loosen the bolts and slip it in there --I hope,,,,,,,Anyway, I thought of it right in the middle of a conversation with the missus.  She is always telling me I am not a good listener, at least I think that is what she says

Add a shim especially 1/2" or better will also allow the plow blade to raise higher in the front.

• Like 3

953 nut
9 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

Usually one has to "grind" the top of the spindled housing to get the torrington bearings to fit and install the snap rings, not always but most times 

:handgestures-thumbupleft:    That is why I asked, I had to remove about a 1/4" from the top with my bandsaw but didn't see any signs of that on his.

• Like 3

ohiofarmer

Good thinking. I may have to get some longer carriage bolts, WV

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

WVHillbilly520H
1 minute ago, 953 nut said:

:handgestures-thumbupleft:    That is why I asked, I had to remove about a 1/4" from the top with my bandsaw but didn't see any signs of that on his.

My 2 don't have the bearings but there's at least 1/16 -3/32" play to the snap rings.

• Like 2

Handy Don
18 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

Whew! Glad that was already done by @Pilgrim when he sold me the 520 chassis as a roller! 

Achto

I brought Radpferd in for some surgery today.

IMG_20210117_070242006_HDR.jpg.b4c69f5552807890750764b6065cf0d9.jpg

I went through the transmission when I built him and thought that the gears look ok but obviously I thought wrong. With in the first 10hrs of run time he started rejecting 3rd gear.:( When ever I would pull on the throttle it would jump out of 3rd. I've had the parts to fix it since Jim's plow day this year but have been too busy to fix the issue. Today, after I disassembled the tranny I see that the 2nd/3rd gear has gotten much worse. The old one next to the new one for comparison.

IMG_20210117_103245666.jpg.3697b574d455a843c5b37ec88615b363.jpg

I also noticed that the gear on the input shaft had suffered some damage. After digging through my 5gal pail full of tranny gears, I was lucky enough to find a good input shaft. The one on the right is the one that was in my tranny.

1853815035_IMG_20210117_103142629(2).jpg.06966763f92b489f7e772d31c5bbcd6f.jpg

The first test ride after reassembly was very satisfactory. While in 3rd I worked the throttle from idle to wide open several times and the shifter stayed right where it belonged.:handgestures-thumbupright: 

Edited by Achto
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 5