Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

Lee1977
On 1/14/2021 at 3:53 PM, BeninCT said:

Made a horrifying discovery when I removed the key from the ignition for the first time today.....:jaw:...  is there a penalty box or confessional around here?

tractor is new to me so still discovering things...

FF62ADE5-1D07-40A7-ACE6-B7AA5C14039D.jpeg

If you had some Plastic Coat you could dip it in a couple of times and fix that. I had some red years ago that would work great.

• Like 6
  • Excellent 1

BeninCT

Made up some brackets to hold some red marker lights and wired them up to the light switch so they are on with the headlights.   Was going to change my rear reflectors but the lights i ordered were too small to use the rivet holes so went to plan B..  The one on the battery should give a cool red glow under the hood without being directly visible.  Both will add to the visibly of the tractor at night which was the goal and no change to anything from the factory (wiring/drilling)

FC103995-8111-4B9A-B188-EF1869BD27B3.jpeg

EDAFDD21-7CAF-46A8-AF0C-DCFB72C61D10.jpeg

Edited by BeninCT
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 3

Ed Kennell
3 hours ago, BeninCT said:

Made up some brackets to hold some red marker lights and wired them up to the light switch so they are on with the headlights.   Was going to change my rear reflectors but the lights i ordered were too small to use the rivet holes so went to plan B..  The one on the battery should give a cool red glow under the hood without being directly visible.  Both will add to the visibly of the tractor at night which was the goal and no change to anything from the factory (wiring/drilling)

FC103995-8111-4B9A-B188-EF1869BD27B3.jpeg

3 hours ago, BeninCT said:

What am I seeing here?  Is the axle bracket on backwards for a reason?

• Like 2

ebinmaine
45 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

Good eye

BeninCT
55 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

Not sure machine is new to me!  What is the axle bracket?  Lol.  Thx for pointing it out whatever it is I’d like to know and fix it :)

By the way, this set of lights was suggested here by some as a direct replacement for the rear reflectors and the units I received are about 3/8 shorter than my rear reflectors which is why I mounted them elsewhere.  Glad I did though happy to leave the tractor unmolested.

• Like 2

ebinmaine
16 minutes ago, BeninCT said:

What is the axle bracket

The part that holds the back of the plow to the rear axle. 

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

The axle bracket is the fabricated device that is bolted to the rear axle for mounting of the snow plow frame or a rear tiller.       Your bracket is rotated 180 degrees from normal.    The two tabs that lock the plow frame to the axle bracket are normally to the rear.     

• Like 1

Handy Don
4 hours ago, BeninCT said:

FC103995-8111-4B9A-B188-EF1869BD27B3.jpeg   <-- Rear           EDAFDD21-7CAF-46A8-AF0C-DCFB72C61D10.jpeg  <--  "Rock light" style

You've gotten to where I was going a bit ahead of me! Thanks.

Have been looking to hook up both a white "backup" light and useful "proximity" or "puddle" lighting.

I have a floor-mounted hydro motion control and I'll be putting in a switch like the neutral-detect so the backup light comes on whenever headlights are on and the lever enters the "reverse" slot). I had just concluded the lamp might fit where you put your extra rear red. I do have to make sure it doesn't interfere with the rear lift, but I think it'll be ok.

The puddle lighting is to be able to see what's going on next to the machine when mowing or navigating without having lights in your eyes. (Yeah, a true light bar could do this but overkill in my situation.) I'll be positioning one on each side to shine out and down, again on the headlight switch.

I'll be upgrading the headlights to LED at the same time since one of the incandescents burned out the other day!

• Like 3

ebinmaine
7 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

overkill

I like the ideas you're throwing out there quite a bit but are you seriously stating that you could potentially have too much light??

Silly.  That's just silly. 

When folks 6 towns over are calling then maybe........

• Haha 6

Handy Don
3 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I like the ideas you're throwing out there quite a bit but are you seriously stating that you could potentially have too much light??

Valid point on the lighting. The sticking point was the "sticking up" part of the light bar (pun intended). Main user's response was "If you make it high enough so I don't hit my head getting on or off the tractor it won't fit through the doorway of the shed."  A folding bar was deemed to violate the KISS principle (another valid point). Ya gotta keep the user happy so simple and adequate will win over involved and abundant in this case!

I did win on one point: there will be an extra switch for the backup light so when going forward with the headlights on and using a rear implement you can keep that rear light on. 

• Like 3

ebinmaine
3 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

keep that rear light on

Niiiice

Maxwell-8
37 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

True, i order some 100W par36 lamps for mine.

Aslong as you are not blinded by the light, it  ain't overkill

• Like 2

Jhook

Am picking up a new horse hauler tomorrow if everything checks out. I absolutely hate towing my 4x6 trailer with my brand new jetta, i baby everything and even though it handles it no problem i just hate pulling more than 300 lbs with it being a 6 speed manual with almost no miles on it. So im headed southbound 65 miles in the flatbed to pick up a 96 ram 3500 4x4 with only 87k miles. My last v10 is still strong at 550k according to the current owner, i let it go with a bad clutch at 275k. I think this one should be able to handle at least 1 tractor in the bed 😂

Screenshot_20210113-090405_Facebook.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

WVHillbilly520H
27 minutes ago, Jhook said:

Am picking up a new horse hauler tomorrow if everything checks out. I absolutely hate towing my 4x6 trailer with my brand new jetta, i baby everything and even though it handles it no problem i just hate pulling more than 300 lbs with it being a 6 speed manual with almost no miles on it. So im headed southbound 65 miles in the flatbed to pick up a 96 ram 3500 4x4 with only 87k miles. My last v10 is still strong at 550k according to the current owner, i let it go with a bad clutch at 275k. I think this one should be able to handle at least 1 tractor in the bed 😂

Screenshot_20210113-090405_Facebook.jpg

How many you reckon you could get in them bed of my ole hauler? 😂

20200709_164025_HDR.jpg

IMAG5539.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Handy Don
3 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

How many you reckon you could get in them bed of my ole hauler? 😂

Is this a trick question, like angels on the head of a pin? Neatly so they'd come out usable? Stacked like @pullstart's pickup?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

WHNJ701

Opened the sheds up and let them get some fresh air!

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H
7 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

Is this a trick question, like angels on the head of a pin? Neatly so they'd come out usable? Stacked like @pullstart's pickup?

No trick, 7'wX11' long and yes nearly and come off usable... unlike the 2 on this load.

IMAG5160.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

BeninCT
13 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

The axle bracket is the fabricated device that is bolted to the rear axle for mounting of the snow plow frame or a rear tiller.       Your bracket is rotated 180 degrees from normal.    The two tabs that lock the plow frame to the axle bracket are normally to the rear.     

I found a pic online and looked under and you are right.  I actually installed that piece with the plow I recently bought from another user so its on me!  Easy fix will do.  I think I thought that bar that connects the 2 sides would interfere with the longitudinals of the plow frame but sounds Ike it will clear.   Thx

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

BeninCT
13 hours ago, Handy Don said:

You've gotten to where I was going a bit ahead of me! Thanks.

Have been looking to hook up both a white "backup" light and useful "proximity" or "puddle" lighting.

I have a floor-mounted hydro motion control and I'll be putting in a switch like the neutral-detect so the backup light comes on whenever headlights are on and the lever enters the "reverse" slot). I had just concluded the lamp might fit where you put your extra rear red. I do have to make sure it doesn't interfere with the rear lift, but I think it'll be ok.

The puddle lighting is to be able to see what's going on next to the machine when mowing or navigating without having lights in your eyes. (Yeah, a true light bar could do this but overkill in my situation.) I'll be positioning one on each side to shine out and down, again on the headlight switch.

I'll be upgrading the headlights to LED at the same time since one of the incandescents burned out the other day!

I wanted these to be seen but also to see the ground around me even if its not bright.  I think they could be too bright if they were white lights and on all the time but maybe some yellow or red lights that were either brighter or maybe just more of them would fit your needs.  Or a 2nd set of whites on another switch.

Upgraded my headlights as well and everything flickers at low rpm so have to wire the lights straight from the battery and run ground wire to hood from batt - term.  Should fix it.  

Been fun making little brackets and doing some welding but man my welding needs practice.  My grinding skills more than make up for it though!

• Like 4

ebinmaine
10 minutes ago, BeninCT said:

Upgraded my headlights as well and everything flickers at low rpm so have to wire the lights straight from the battery and run ground wire to hood from batt - term.  Should fix it

When rewiring a tractor or during our builds I run an extra ground from EVERY component. 

Not what everyone else would do and a bit tedious but saves searching on the long run. 

Certainly a good idea to have extra grounds connecting all possible areas. 

As to the "********* at low rpm" these are air cooled engines and should never be run below about 1/2 throttle except right before shut down.  More is preferred. We run ours here anywhere between 1/2 and full throttle depending on current usage. 

• Like 1

ebinmaine

@BeninCT and @Handy Don 

Trina is NOT into flash and bling much at all. 

"Shiny" is neat but not practical to her general mindset. 

I mentioned something about having under carriage lights a few days ago and casually said that would be neat... 

That's Paint Department code language for "I would like that on my tractah". 

So yesterday I set and ordered us up some mini LEDs with a 3/8" mounting hole requirement. ..... Like the multiple holes in a Wheelhorse frame..... Bling will be happening. 

Red, white, blue, amber, and green. 

They'll be used on a few things here...

Should give a nice glow under any tractor while plowing snow at night AND offer that much extra visibility to passing vehicles. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

BeninCT
6 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

When rewiring a tractor or during our builds I run an extra ground from EVERY component. 

Not what everyone else would do and a bit tedious but saves searching on the long run. 

Certainly a good idea to have extra grounds connecting all possible areas. 

As to the "********* at low rpm" these are air cooled engines and should never be run below about 1/2 throttle except right before shut down.  More is preferred. We run ours here anywhere between 1/2 and full throttle depending on current usage. 

Agree on the ground- I ran one to the new lights and to the old headlight ground screw yesterday though I may try to cheat on something in the future!

Air cooling is one thing but I also read that the oil just doesnt get slung around like it should at low rpm?

ebinmaine
5 minutes ago, BeninCT said:

I also read that the oil just doesnt get slung around like it should at low rpm?

Also true!!

• Like 1

Tuneup

I was able to jack-up the rear of the 125 with my old Sears jack that I rebuilt yesterday with an internet kit and an internet manual. I HATE today's jacks where you have to pump it 30 times to get the car off the ground. That old jack hasn't worked in 15 years and the seal was so shrunkened it rattled in the bore. Bought it in Rockaway NJ, where I worked at the time, on my 10% discount and used it to raise and lower my Beetle's engine. A friend borrowed it for working on his K5 and dumped brake fluid all over it so the paint is...eh. Memories. Weighs 104 lbs. They just don't make 'em like they did back then so, this is a "semi-what I did for my Wheel Horse" note, made possible by a refreshed jack which is about the same age as my Horse.

• Like 3

AHS

Nice truck!! @WVHillbilly520H what’s it got? 350/ th400? A 4 speed manual?