Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

ebinmaine
9 minutes ago, Tractorhead said:

Hahaha,

i never will use a Snowblower in action with the wrong winds without a cabin,

heated or not.

on the other side, everybody see than, you did you job well.

😂😂😂

As more you‘re looking a snowmen, the more it impresses - or maybe not.. 😂😂😂

Doesn't bother us much.

We don't have the long-term one directional winds that a lot of you do. 

Our winds are from one side one minute and another direction entirely the next.

If we're being snow covered we just wait a few seconds.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Achto
31 minutes ago, Tractorhead said:

i never will use a Snowblower in action with the wrong winds without a cabin,

heated or not.

If you are snow blowing without a cabin, wearing a full face helmet is a good alternative. I've done this many times when it is windy to keep the snow off of my face.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

WVHillbilly520H
16 hours ago, WHX24 said:

:text-imwithstupid:but seat time is seat time! 

20200125_080614.jpg 

@dclarke now you know why I need a backup to the backup! 

About time I see a deuce in front of that Onan... You like it any better than a tall single?

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

Bertie

The 512D has been losing power, black smoke etc so time to swap out the diesel injector, oil change etc today. All straight forward but a major improvement, no smoke and running spot on. Managed to get an NOS injector which was a real bonus, looking at the old injector its amazing how it kept running...

20200126_134631.jpg

• Like 3

WHX??
2 hours ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

You like it any better than a tall single?

Still on a learning curve Jeff on my drive way... sometimes yes sometimes no. This is the first real amount of snow we had to be able to run it and of course had to be the heavy wet sloppy snow and not powder so the Onan did have to work some but still plenty of power.

With a short single you get a little more accurate snow placement so now  I get why guys why guys rig a motorized top deflector on a tall. Pain to get out and move it with different passes and if you don't it will easily toss the snow right back where cleared. Nice thing is you can often toss it clear across where just cleared! I have yet to put the belting on the impeller. The center auger drive support really helps smooth it out. A must do for any deuce. The weight of it doesn't seem to bother anything and I have no anti sway bumper on it but that doesn't seem to be issue either. The V-61's I have on the front steer it nicely.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
15 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

swapped a 42" blade for a 54"

I'll be waitin to see what you think of that.

We still have a 60" Mr @wallfish gave us...

Might remember to try that sometime...

• Like 3

Achto
1 hour ago, Ed Kennell said:

102_1218.JPG.9d9bbba51533663e944f00a8ceb17875.JPG

Sweet set up Ed!!:handgestures-thumbupright: Looks like your not too far from needing a new wear bar though.

• Like 2

Ed Kennell

If this works Dan,  I'll replace that flimsy bar with a 3/8X4 bar.    It'll add some weight and stiffen up that long blade

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H
2 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

I swapped a 42" blade for a 54"er Yesterday and put it on the 520.       Thanks Jessie.

We'll see if this wide body can make the P220 grunt.    I may have to add another set of springs to keep the blade from tripping.

Yep, I'm one of the old wimpy and smart guys that even needs a warm cab on his plow tractor.

102_1218.JPG.9d9bbba51533663e944f00a8ceb17875.JPG102_1217.JPG.f832da9cce39f7062b46f350fd675fae.JPG

I was happier when I went from the 42" modded to 50" then to a 54" and now a 56" that hasn't been used yet... And only need a cab for blow/throwing the snow not so much pushing/plowing :P.

20200123_170918.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

cschannuth
2 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

I swapped a 42" blade for a 54"er Yesterday and put it on the 520.       Thanks Jessie.

We'll see if this wide body can make the P220 grunt.    I may have to add another set of springs to keep the blade from tripping.

Yep, I'm one of the old wimpy and smart guys that even needs a warm cab on his plow tractor.

102_1218.JPG.9d9bbba51533663e944f00a8ceb17875.JPG102_1217.JPG.f832da9cce39f7062b46f350fd675fae.JPG

You will love that wider blade.  I went from a 42" to a 54" on Dad's C-161 and it is amazing how much quicker it gets the job done.  The old twin Briggs didn't even notice so the Onan won't notice the difference either.  Have fun!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

c-series don

Ed, you only have chains on one front tire. Ed we know you better than this, we know you always have your stuff in order. Please Ed get your stuff together, geez! 😜

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Ed Kennell

Oh man, I never thought you would notice.

• Haha 1

c-series don

It looked good for the picture and I thought, man this guy even has chains on the front! And then I saw it!!! Anyways I love it. My driveway is basically flat so I have never needed front chains for my 417-A with a two stage blower. Or maybe I do? If nothing else it certainly does look cool! 

• Thanks 1

Ed Kennell
2 minutes ago, c-series don said:

It looked good for the picture and I thought, man this guy even has chains on the front! And then I saw it!!! Anyways I love it. My driveway is basically flat so I have never needed front chains for my 417-A with a two stage blower. Or maybe I do? If nothing else it certainly does look cool! 

OK Don, here's the truth.    When I switched the 48 for the 54"er,  I thought I might have a steering problem.  So I started to make up a pair of front chains.  After I got the first one installed, I noticed the chain is real close to the blade skid bracket.    I want to try it in snow to see if it hits under load.   If it does, I'll go back to a roller chain around the center  of the wheel.

Or, maybe I just forgot there were 2 wheels on the front.  :confusion-seeingstars:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

c-series don

I too have a 54” that I have yet to use. I’m going to sandblast and paint it at the same time I do my EZ Rake restoration (separate post) I could definitely see the need for front chains and weights with the wider blade. Honestly can’t wait to try it!! 

• Like 2

JCM

@c-series don   I have been considering removing the 44'' 2 stage off of the 520 H and installing it on the 86  417-8 with the electric lift, don't want to regret it but would love to mow again with the 520. I am not sure how much slower the lift is on the 417 than the 520 but thinking it may be to slow and that I have been spoiled all these years with the hydro. Then of course the cab would need to go from one tractor to the other, I probably should leave well enough alone. How does your 417 steer with the 44'' up front.   Thanks

• Like 1

Ralph S

I free handed a pin stripe around the rear rims and swapped out yet another rear end. I'm getting pretty good at that if I do say so myself

20200126_145318.jpg

20200126_142218.jpg

Edited by Ralph S
  • Like 8

c-series don

Funny because my 417 has very worn front tires so I kind of over inflated them and it steers relatively easy. Maybe I should follow Ed’s lead and put on chains as well?! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

cschannuth
11 hours ago, c-series don said:

I too have a 54” that I have yet to use. I’m going to sandblast and paint it at the same time I do my EZ Rake restoration (separate post) I could definitely see the need for front chains and weights with the wider blade. Honestly can’t wait to try it!! 

I just have Wheel Horse weights on the front of dad‘s 161 with tri ribs and I haven’t had any issue so far. However, in Central Missouri we don’t get a lot of real heavy snows. Although, last year we got 12 inches at one time and it seemed to work OK.

• Like 1

Achto

One of the head light lenses on my favorite show cruiser was broken so I thought that I would change it out. The ones that were on it were 50w halogens. With out a charging system on this tractor I could only get about 3 to 4hrs out of the battery that I have to run the lights. I found replacements of the same out put but in LED's, this dropped the draw wattage down to 6.6w per bulb. I should be able to get a lot more run time out of the battery with these.:) For being an LED light, the lens does not look too bad either.

IMG_20200127_150946798.jpg.33d81e774e07dd18be1f15da84ec5330.jpg 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 4

WHX??

Yeaaaah ..longer nite  booze cruises... :greetings-clappingyellow:

20190615_222546.jpg

• Haha 7

Lane Ranger

Started working on the 702 tractor gas tank and steering wheel replacement.

702  has a nice one piece gas tank but no steering wheel.

Picked up a 1963 two piece gas tank and nice steering wheel combo when I bought the 753 and 702 tractors in West Virginia.

Worked on removing the one piece tank and exchanging the steering wheel today.

Pretty good progress.   

Surprising how easy the roll pin in the steering gear end of the steering shaft came out -I guess 60 years of grease helps!

033.JPG

151.JPG

098.JPG

146.JPG

147.JPG

148.JPG

140.JPG

• Like 4