Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

ZXT
3 minutes ago, Stepney said:

I have had quite a few. Stover K 1.5, KB 3, CT2, and a T 5 hp. Associated Colt, Wonder Boy, and Chore Boy. A handful of typical F&M Z series engines. An early Waterloo 3hp. 

Biggest to date, a 5hp Desjardins.

Dozen others including an FB Briggs and a Maytag 92 washer. A few marine engines too, and some small steam.

I believe the Associated Air Cooled, and other air cooled engines, had a slight advantage to places around here, mostly due to no fear of a freeze crack should one forget to drain the water.

I've heard of a Desjardins before but never seen one in person. Definitely a cool engine. 

There was an Associated "Pony" at our local engine meet last weekend. Wasn't for sale unfortinately.

Took our Model 92 Maytag washer out to a "learning days" for event that we put on annually for the local elementary school at a pair of log cabins that my grandfather helped move. Kids loved running clothes through the wringer!

Stepney
4 minutes ago, ZXT said:

I've heard of a Desjardins before but never seen one in person. Definitely a cool engine. 

There was an Associated "Pony" at our local engine meet last weekend. Wasn't for sale unfortinately.

Took our Model 92 Maytag washer out to a "learning days" for event that we put on annually for the local elementary school at a pair of log cabins that my grandfather helped move. Kids loved running clothes through the wringer!

Old and young alike love to see a Maytag in operation. Oftentimes the adults are more in a state of shock then the kids are hahaha. Everywhere I bring mine it's a hit. Mine just happens to have a kind spirit and always runs perfectly. Luck I guess. 

Desjardins was a Canadian engine. So I doubt many, if at all, made it to Texas. 

183608858_ScreenShot2019-07-04at3_29_43PM.png.5da4b93a5a2476f5b469c10ed69b24a2.png1593385392_ScreenShot2019-07-04at3_33_41PM.png.f0ca16d6128808a819e57ef923fc9b17.png

Edited by Stepney
  • Like 4
  • Excellent 3

ZXT
6 minutes ago, Stepney said:

Old and young alike love to see a Maytag in operation. Oftentimes the adults are more in a state of shock then the kids are hahaha. Everywhere I bring mine it's a hit. Mine just happens to have a kind spirit and always runs perfectly. Luck I guess. 

Desjardins was a Canadian engine. So I doubt many, if at all, made it to Texas. 

183608858_ScreenShot2019-07-04at3_29_43PM.png.5da4b93a5a2476f5b469c10ed69b24a2.png1593385392_ScreenShot2019-07-04at3_33_41PM.png.f0ca16d6128808a819e57ef923fc9b17.png

Awesome! Mine is still in its work clothes.. but it serves its purpose! Everyone loves to see it in operation.

Sorry everyone, I'll try to stop getting the thread off track LOL.

PeacemakerJack

Looks good Richie...those Xi’s are pretty beastly aren’t they?

You took care of a lot of important little items that can and would affect the reliability/functionality of the tractor.  How does the wiring look on that particular machine.  I know that Kelli’s D has a harness similar to a small car.:scared-eek:  As long as it is good shape though, it should keep functioning fine. 

• Like 2

WHX??

That's usually my dilemma Ritchie... to pop the fly wheel and clean behind it or not. Usually do and usually glad I did. Crazy not to on a beast like that.

• Like 3

lynnmor
5 hours ago, 19richie66 said:

Pulled the engine from the 522xi and replaced both coils. Popped the flywheel off to check it and glad I did. Cleaned all the mud/grass out of it, blew out the fins, checked the magnets. Replaced the front steering cylinder bolt, put a missing lock nut on the rear of the steering cylinder and deleted the “smart steer” function while I was in there. Everything got a good cleaning. Found a couple other things to fix but haven’t got that far yet.

D65F3BF5-A025-41B6-AD12-79B78C9E2867.jpeg

Is that oil coming from the crankshaft seal?  It would be great if that were stopped so that the dirt doesn't accumulate.

• Like 1

19richie66
18 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

Is that oil coming from the crankshaft seal?  It would be great if that were stopped so that the dirt doesn't accumulate.

Actually the seal was dry with just dirt and grass there. Does look suspiciously oily.  The breather tube up top was split and oil running down the front of the engine. Yeah I know I’ll probably regret not changing it but kinda in a predicament to get it going and not having it sit too long. Didn’t have my seal here and no mower shops had any. Oh well. It should be good for a while. Give me something else to do once I get moved. 

• Like 1

19richie66

Besides, I’m trying to figure out how to LS sawp an xi :laughing-rolling:

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 3
  • Heart 1

ZXT
11 hours ago, 19richie66 said:

Besides, I’m trying to figure out how to LS sawp an xi :laughing-rolling:

Find yourself an aluminum 5.3 and it might be able to handle it! :lol:

How do you like the XI? I've never paid them much attention, but I came across a 522XI for $350 the other day and regretfully someone saw it before I did.. Now I'm starting to wonder what I missed out on!

• Like 1

19richie66

5 hours ago, ZXT said:

Find yourself an aluminum 5.3 and it might be able to handle it! :lol:

How do you like the XI? I've never paid them much attention, but I came across a 522XI for $350 the other day and regretfully someone saw it before I did.. Now I'm starting to wonder what I missed out on!

It seems to be a beast. Power steering, hi/low transmission. I put wider back wheels and tires on mine. Still finding loose bolts here and there. The deck lift links seem to be a weak item. Both of mine are broken. I will be making some stronger ones. A lot of little items from use over the years. I think I’m going to love it once it is all spiffed up. If you can find a nicer version someone has taken care of and get it, I think you would be happy with it. 

• Like 4

WVHillbilly520H
1 hour ago, 19richie66 said:

I think I’m going to love it once it is all spiffed up. If you can find a nicer version someone has taken care of and get it, I think you would be happy with it. 

I know where a NOS 522xi is hiding in the dealers basement...

IMAG1742.jpg

IMAG1743.jpg

IMAG1747.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 5

19richie66

Wow..... that would be an awesome machine to own. Would definitely baby it. 

Pullstart

If you mean “baby it” as in stick it in the ground with some attachments, we’ll then me too!  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

PeacemakerJack
20 hours ago, 19richie66 said:

Besides, I’m trying to figure out how to LS swap an xi :laughing-rolling:

I wonder if anyone has a conversion kit developed for that yet😁?

• Haha 2

Pullstart
11 minutes ago, PeacemakerJack said:

I wonder if anyone has a conversion kit developed for that yet😁?

I’ve got a couple spare LS vehicles laying around...  :eusa-think:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

WHX??
1 hour ago, pullstart said:

stick it in the ground with some attachments

I think we corrupted him... now he wants to stick everything in the dirt! You best stick to a vintage gear jammer for that! :lol:

An xi is for taking the missus to a drive in!

• Haha 5

Pullstart

Hey now...  Are they built to work, or are they built to work?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

WHX??

Lol... Jack blows snow with his so I guess so... I sometimes want to cut down trees to make more lawn to justify having one. Then I come to my senses! :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19richie66

I definitely wouldn’t trash it. 😁

Edited by 19richie66

WHX??
6 minutes ago, 19richie66 said:

I definitely wouldn’t trash it. 😁

Agreed ...We'll leave that to Kevin then! :lol:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

19richie66

I’ll put Skittles and the Xi in a garage over the winter and see what comes out at springtime :laughing-rolling:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Pullstart

Real big horse babies!

• Haha 4

WVHillbilly520H
3 hours ago, 19richie66 said:

Wow..... that would be an awesome machine to own. Would definitely baby it. 

I have off and on tried to negotiate it home just hasn't happened... But I did buy my Anniversary 520H new from him plus the low hour faded '95 and the Dxi that found to be too expensive to rebuild... But hey you never know what time will tell.

Edited by WVHillbilly520H
  • Like 2

RetroMower

Call me weird but I love a hidden, greasy, gooey area that hasn't seen the light of day in many moons. Bolts aren't rusted and i finally get a glimpse at original wheelhorse red. And yes, this creative "wiring" needs replacing 

20191023_110444.jpg

• Like 2