Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

Pullstart
12 minutes ago, Blackhood Bill said:

@pullstart according to tractor data.com that :wh: came with a 655 cc twin cylinder Briggs. Made in 1984. I'm not sure of the part number your asking for. I'd bet that Lincoln at A-Z could help you with one. Does it run? Sure would be a great addition to the herd!:romance-grouphug:

I was told it runs, if you dump gas down the carb :D  The fuel line is 100% blocked and the pump has no diaphragm on either side of the block.  We’ll get it going :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

Blackhood Bill

I've also learned over the years, you might take some white gas ( Coleman lantern fuel) and run it backwards thru there that it might clean it out also.

• Thanks 2

cleat

New fuel line is cheap insurance.

I bought one last winter and fixed it up for sale (I seem to just keep my 520's)

When I bought it, it was hard to start and leaked fuel everywhere it seemed.

New fuel line and filter and engine started right up with no leaks.

Now, water filled and frozen transmission was another story but we overcame that as well.

I put a 42" deck on it and it ran that with no issues.

This is how I got it.

1372496544_WorkHorseGT-1600cominghome1.jpg.599546713995f7555da2688c6fcc2a5f.jpg

1812563481_WorkHorseGT-16001.JPG.bf6ab0e511d7f87daa480f12e3eaeece.JPG

This is how I sold it.

Kind of sad to see it go but I have lots of projects starting with my 312H

DSCN2536.JPG.71a99ccbceddc7b697c688b1922090e9.JPG

Cleat

Edited by cleat
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart

The GT-1600 is alive!  Well, sort of.  Blowing air through the lines cleared the blockage in the fuel system, it drained into a water bottle just dandy.  I poked a hole in the cap and bottle fed it for a ride around the yard!  Once I get that fuel pump put together, next task will be figuring out why the PTO bell seems to wobble so bad!  Maybe some day I’ll toss a spare front wheel on too.  There’s no bearing left on the outer hub!

184926B7-856D-4900-A095-4AD088F9E6D8.jpeg

0E85F55E-751A-436A-9F61-BE850FBE2150.jpeg

• Like 2

Pullstart
On 7/22/2019 at 10:53 PM, Achto said:

Ok I'm not completely sure which engine your new tractor has. Is that an opposed BS twin? Fuel pumps on those were a common problem. If that is what you have hopefully it is the 3 screw pump as those are a little cheaper than the 4 screw pumps. Here is a site that offers the rebuild kits, even if you don't order from them you will be able to get the factory part #'s from their site.

http://www.psep.biz/store/briggs_stratton_fuel_pump.htm

Hey Dan check out the pump on that Sears Briggs!  It looks like a tiny bit of home brew went into that fix.  Maybe the acetone gas can would have been the giveaway?

F7066B13-50D0-4C8D-9011-5DF0E9AA3802.jpeg

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

adsm08

I put parts from my Ranger on it.

Achto
10 hours ago, pullstart said:

Hey Dan check out the pump on that Sears Briggs!  It looks like a tiny bit of home brew went into that fix.  Maybe the acetone gas can would have been the giveaway?

It's surprising that the engine ran as well as it did.:D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19richie66

Thats a good looking tractor @Racinbob

• Like 1

Racinbob
2 hours ago, 19richie66 said:

Thats a good looking tractor @Racinbob

Thanks Richie. I'm thinking it would be appropriate to put some little mouse ears on the starter cover. :D

• Haha 3

squonk
3 hours ago, Racinbob said:

Played with the 500 Special this morning. I mounted the fuel tank, fit the belt guard, connected the choke cable, installed a muffler, partially ran the wiring for the kill button and a couple other odds and ends. There's a few minor things I want to do but then I'm thinking this will go into storage for a while as I ponder my options on what to do. I lightly fogged the engine and I'm keeping the fuel system dry. My shoulder isn't going to get any better and yanking on a starter rope is pretty much second only to throwing a ball when it comes to irritating it. :)

1102525659_500Special0725191.JPG.3236ea865f25d30aebdbc805b16a8f05.JPG

201804223_500Special0725192.JPG.1bfed34e863a85b69642127961737e36.JPG

I wonder if rotating the starter 1 notch toward the rear would change the angle enough to help your shoulder. That's where I always had mine so I could start it from the seat.

• Like 2

19richie66

Yeah then you are pulling back and not up. Definitely worth a try. No on the mouse ears @Racinbob:laughing-rolling:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

WHX??

My shoulders feeling fine these days Bob maybe I should just come get it?!?! :ph34r::lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

squonk
41 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

My shoulders feeling fine these days Bob maybe I should just come get it?!?! :ph34r::lol:

I'll tell Bob to put a Tecky back on it. That should keep you busy for a few hours!

• Like 1

Racinbob
1 hour ago, squonk said:

I wonder if rotating the starter 1 notch toward the rear would change the angle enough to help your shoulder. That's where I always had mine so I could start it from the seat.

I was pondering that today Mike. I'm thinking that would put it horizontal and I'd like it at about 45° but I'm going to try tomorrow. From the seat with my left arm might be the ticket. :)

52 minutes ago, 19richie66 said:

Yeah then you are pulling back and not up. Definitely worth a try. No on the mouse ears @Racinbob:laughing-rolling:

I don't know Richie. I like telling the story about how this K-161 started out working for the mouse. It just seems kinda appropriate. :D

49 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

I have guns. :angry-tappingfoot:

9 minutes ago, squonk said:

I'll tell Bob to put a Tecky back on it. That should keep you busy for a few hours!

Back in 68 my Dad was looking to buy another new one. I saw a 500 Special on the showroom floor and, being a Indy 500 fan, I tried to get him to buy it. "Nope, no Tecumseh for me" was his reply. Smart man :hide:        Soooooo…...I built this one touting that it is a 500 Special that my Dad would have bought. :thumbs2:

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

pfrederi
15 hours ago, Racinbob said:

I was pondering that today Mike. I'm thinking that would put it horizontal and I'd like it at about 45° but I'm going to try tomorrow. From the seat with my left arm might be the ticket. :)

I

my L-107 was my fathers.  He never went for electric start and started it with the recoil into his 80s.  We did replace the original H60 with an HH70 to get ACR  to make it easier for him.  Lazy me added electric start after he passed.  Always had the recoil aimed back and he started it from the seat.  But Techies start with 1-2 pulls.  I still start it occasionally with the  recoil from the seat.

IMG_0294.JPG.e49996dd273b60e6b12f7dc130e51e08.JPG

• Like 7

squonk
6 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

my L-107 was my fathers.  He never went for electric start and started it with the recoil into his 80s.  We did replace the original H60 with an HH70 to get ACR  to make it easier for him.  Lazy me added electric start after he passed.  Always had the recoil aimed back and he started it from the seat.  But Techies start with 1-2 pulls.  I still start it occasionally with the  recoil from the seat.

IMG_0294.JPG.e49996dd273b60e6b12f7dc130e51e08.JPG

Tecky’s when I was kid started every 100 cuss words! :lol:

• Haha 6
  • Heart 1

Aldon

Did the best thing I think I could for my Horses today. I renewed my 2 year supporter membership:-)

Finally had some room to breathe time wise. 

Relocating is a true PITA.

• Like 2
  • Heart 1

19richie66
4 minutes ago, Aldon said:

Relocating is a true PITA.

:text-yeahthat:

one more week and the second half of my adventure starts .

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Racinbob
20 hours ago, squonk said:

Yup, what I figured. It puts it dead on horizontal and in a bad position for pulling. :(

Racinbob

I have changed my mind about mothballing it for a spell. I just need to get the fuel line hooked up and the throttle cable connected. Ultimately I'll probably have to put a fuel pump on it. This engine originally had a tank on top so it didn't need a pump. I looks like I'd run out with about an inch left in the tank. :auto-driving:

• Like 1

squonk
3 hours ago, Racinbob said:

Yup, what I figured. It puts it dead on horizontal and in a bad position for pulling. :(

I wonder if you have a different shroud. It lined up perfectly on my 704

2015_Wheel_Horse_Show_Trip_030.thumb.JPG.e2166aa0b1d5e29070cb98849e987611.JPG.f2f7ca3d3c3b456dbf45129931e4e57c.JPG

• Like 1

Ed Kennell
1 hour ago, squonk said:

I wonder if you have a different shroud. It lined up perfectly on my 704

2015_Wheel_Horse_Show_Trip_030.thumb.JPG.e2166aa0b1d5e29070cb98849e987611.JPG.f2f7ca3d3c3b456dbf45129931e4e57c.JPG

They are different Mike.   Your bolts straddle the vertical C/L.  His are on the C/L.

• Like 1

Racinbob

There you go. I've got a bolt at the 12 o'clock position. Your 704 doesn't Mike. I never thought about the bolt placement being different. Splitting the difference of where my rope is in the picture and where it ends up by rotating the starter one bolt clockwise would be just right. I'm going to see if the K181 on the 854 even has the threaded holes. If so, and they are in the location I need, a possible swap? :confusion-shrug:  

• Like 1