JoeM

Kohler Block Heaters, Any good Ideas?

JoeM

Went out in the middle of the week, temperatures in the teens, tried to start my C145 plow machine.......no go!

Seems like the ACR is stuck, backfires through the carburetor. Using 10w-30 oil.

The machine always started pretty good. I was thinking I may need a block heater.

Anyone using the heaters? If so what type? wattage etc.

I see pad style, drain plug styles.

Joe

squonk

Magnetic heaters work pretty good if you could find a spot big enough to stick it. I use one on the bottom of my 520 hydro to keep that oil warm. Also use 2 of them on my hydraulic tank for my loader. 

• Like 3

pfrederi

My snow horses are kept in an unheated area and the temp bottoms out in the low teens..  They run on 5w-30 and start OK.  I have stuck a magnetic heater on the plow tractor if it is getting down below zero with wind  (like the last couple of days) because that can push inside to single digits and somewhat warm oil means less wear on startup..

gwest_ca

The magnetic heater I use has loose magnets I will guess are there so it will stick to a rough uneven surface. Absolutely 0 heat transfer if stuck to the bottom of the pan because the weight of it pulls the actual heater away from the engine by about 1/16". Added a 16" piece of 1" x 2" pine with an eye screw in each end to the backside of the heater. A pair of bungee cords pull the heater up so it contacts the engine. Now it works. Forget the wattage but too hot to touch the heater.

Garry

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

JoeM

Sounds like the magnetic heaters are the ticket. I looked at a 200 watt and the tractor engine. I might be able to place on the flat spot near the bottom of the front??

c145blackhoodfrontofengineheaterarea1.jpg.9f23de38ca703273b90858fecab250a0.jpg

• Like 1

953 nut

Check out the thrift stores for an electric blanket and a regular blanket to retain the heat. They are probably sold out now, but perhaps next year.

• Like 3

ericj

I have a 96 314-8 that's been sitting out side under a rubber tarp. Pulled the tarp off Sat and cranked a little but fired up fairly easy.

eric j

Pollack Pete

Ya know........for years,I've wondered why people go south for the Winter.I'm starting to figure it out.Minus 12 here right now this AM.High temp of 10 all day yesterday with minus 20 to 25 wind chill.Is the government still worried about global warming?Oil fired boiler roaring away.2 pellet stoves running.I'm ready for Spring.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

ebinmaine
10 hours ago, 953 nut said:

Check out the thrift stores for an electric blanket and a regular blanket to retain the heat. They are probably sold out now, but perhaps next year.

I like that idea...

What about an electric battery-wrap? Is there enough room around the engine?

Maybe in combo with the magnet bottom heater?

• Like 1

Forest Road

Try a fresh spark plug. Makes a world of difference in cold starts 

• Like 2

Tankman

Think a dipstick heater might work? :think:

Jerry77

When I was using my 314-8 for winter duty, I would leave it in an uheated d garage and throw a small tarp over it an plug in a 1500w electric heater..strarted fine - expensive, but not bad considering the reward

rjg854

It was 16 degrees this morning and the 68 Commando 8 that I use for snow plowing sits in an unheated barn. I have straight 30w oil in it and when I turned the key this morning it took right off,  just like it would if it was summer. Most all my horses start at the touch of the key, no matter the temperature. And we've had cold,cold days. 

classicdmax

^i need learn you ways....mine seems to run proper but I suspect the carb needs proper tuning which I plan to do soon. Being unfamiliar with carbs not sure on the  outcome 

artfull dodger

A Kohler not starting in the cold is due for an ignition tune up.  Seen it all the time when I was wrenching on these for a living  Cold brings out the worst in battery ignition systems.  Key switch failures, condensor and points giving up ect

Docwheelhorse
19 minutes ago, rjg854 said:

It was 16 degrees this morning and the 68 Commando 8 that I use for snow plowing sits in an unheated barn. I have straight 30w oil in it and when I turned the key this morning it took right off,  just like it would if it was summer. Most all my horses start at the touch of the key, no matter the temperature. And we've had cold,cold days. 

Here goes nothing... ---but--- straight 30 at 16 degrees is rough on the motor. Yes youve been getting away with it. Maybe think about 10w30 in winter and sae 30 in summer. Only 40 ounces to do full change. 

Just my .02

Tony

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

classicdmax

I also plan to do condenser and check points this weekend, we’ll see how that goes....

pfrederi
15 hours ago, Docwheelhorse said:

Here goes nothing... ---but--- straight 30 at 16 degrees is rough on the motor. Yes youve been getting away with it. Maybe think about 10w30 in winter and sae 30 in summer. Only 40 ounces to do full change. 

Just my .02

Tony

:text-yeahthat:

From the Kohler manual

oil.JPG

• Excellent 1

JoeM
On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 11:22 AM, Forest Road said:

Try a fresh spark plug. Makes a world of difference in cold starts 

A new plug worked!

I guess those minus temps made me think differently.

I like a lot of the heating ideas, I am going to look into a heater for the block. Just insurance.

thanks,

Joe

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Sarge

That is a very good point about the oil viscosity and is very commonly overlooked - Kohler printed those specifications for a reason. If you start and engine with even modern, high quality 30w oil you are causing damage to any splash lube engine quickly - you are starving the rod. 10W30 flows far easier in temps below 32* - you'd be surprised how much difference it makes in a splash lube engine. I use 10W30 Kohler engine oil in the winter, never had a rod problem other than previous damage from previous owners and just plain wear/abuse. I do not use a heater nor is the shed heated, some even sit outside under tarps and I'm not afraid to turn one over and start it well below zero. The D-180 and it's twin is pressurized, with 30W oil there is a long time gap before oil pressure shows at even 40*F, so in the winter it gets 10W30 and the oil pressure is instantly there when the engine starts spinning. Add to that the car battery that was added this fall - it spins over with no problem in super cold weather - started it yesterday at 12*F just as an example. I do like the idea of heating the oil first - that is always a good idea to prevent startup wear on any engine - always used to run block heaters on my older cars/trucks and never had a problem starting them in some crazy cold weather conditions while everything else around the area refused to start.

If I were to add a pan heater - there is a type made by Katt's that is metal epoxied to the oil pan - that one I'd imagine would be the best option. Last one I used lasted over 10yrs - still have it somewhere down in the shop...

Sarge

• Excellent 1

Forest Road

I don't have electricity where I store my horses. Began using solar battery chargers 5 years ago, $10-15 at HF or Northern tool. Haven't had a dead battery since. I have  hotter spark and faster starter speeds throughout the winter. Also run a synthetic oil from Amsoil which I belive pours better in colder temps than conventional oil.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

DennisThornton

This certainly isn't preventative but it sure will warm up an engine fast.  I have a 30,000-60,000 BTUs portable propane torpedo, long but light weight extension cord and 20lb tank.  A cautiously applied small tarp speeds things up.  $150 or so and SO handy for other outside tasks.  

One cold day my C-80 that always starts wouldn't start.  I jump it and it still wouldn't.  It would fire with starting fluid but wouldnt run.  Fuel line freeze up?  Yep! Line! Fuel filter! And fuel bowl! So out came the propane torpedo.  I thawed them all and it Still woundn't start!  No fuel flow so I ordered a new fuel pump.  I pulled the old one, opened it up to see what failed and it was full of ice! Didn't need the new pump at all! I honestly don't know where ALL that water came from!  Never seen it that bad! I don't always run Dry Gas but maybe I should. 

Overall point is there's issues that warm battery and warm oil won't fix! 

Love my propane heaters! 

Sarge

I'd bet money that fuel had ethanol in it - the stuff actually attracts water and when mixed with water it becomes even more corrosive than ever. I've removed carburetors that were literally eaten by the stuff when sitting and no way to rebuild them with the die-cast aluminum - so it requires new or a used, good one. Those torpedo heaters are very useful and I've considered for years getting a small one. I use a simple Mr. Heater single headed one in the shed to warm it up enough to work out there this winter on Big Ugly and it's pump rodeo - couple hours I can push the temps up +30*F depending upon how windy it is, the shed is after all not insulated nor very tight fitting.

I really like those adhesive heater pads and I see now they are available in a lot more sizes, shapes and wattage ratings - which is a good thing. On the older high-po engines I used them on it was a requirement to run 20W50 oil and they would explode an oil filter if started below 40*F - the pad heater would bring the oil up enough to flow through the filter and not create a problem in about 30 minutes. I would think a 200w or so sized pad would heat a Kohler pretty quickly. If left on overnight, the whole block would be at a nice temperature to fire it without fear of those ancient, cold parts trying to destroy each other. Cold weather is brutal on old engines - the new stuff these days is better designed to handle being ran in cold weather without much, if any warm-up time. My '14 Dodge runs 5W20 in the Hemi - the stuff is like water to me but that engine warms very quickly if you just give it 30 seconds and just drive it gently for the first few miles - runs like it's no big deal. If I try to get it to a higher temp before leaving - it takes forever for it to build heat . Evidently due to being engineered so much towards MPG's it will drop back to 4 cylinders at idle to save fuel - it barely will crack 100*F after 20 minutes of running when it's 0*F outside after sitting overnight. In the same time period, the old Land Cruiser would be sitting at 150*F easily while running on the choke at a higher idle speed.

There are some solar heaters for outdoor water stations for animals. Not sure how the heater itself is designed or if it could be adapted to heat an engine - but it would be a nice alternative for those that do not have the storage area wired for power. Neither of my sheds have power like many - during the winter the largest one near the building just gets a 12ga drop cord to feed power out there for a couple led lights and working on stuff in the cold weather versus outside. I'd much prefer storing my machines in a heated space - but it is what it is for now and our situation here. Solar can be a solution - but it's expensive technology although prices are starting to come down more, I'd like a forward-thinking solution like that but right now the cost is just too high.

Sarge

• Like 1