ohiofarmer

Snow blower, or plow, which to use??

ohiofarmer

So here is my situation. I have a good looking snow blower single stage blower that i have never hooked up. I just got a decent blade with a Horse rustlin' deal C-141 for $200.00 and that tractor is wearing a c-121 engine until the 14 HP is rebuilt.  I have no chains, but have the axle rear mount for the plow.. I do have some plastic coated weights off the 520 as well, but do not want to use the 520 because it is down for new seals. I have never hooked up a plow or blower before or had a reason to do so until now..No snow as of yet, but we get some occasionally and maybe only one or two 8" plus events a winter with the rare 16-20" events or some drifts to bust through

You guys have the experience and i am a complete newbie for installing or  using either a plow or a blower. Opinions are welcome

My Bocat 853 will perform rings around either one, but it would be a pretty big job to go get it and haul it back, so thinking about having the Horses as backup

maxiblue

WOW nice to have both,snow blower in a lot of cases is faster. The plow is great for that frozen snow or ice type snow that the snow blower can't bite into. I have been there and done that. Now I have a snow blower and a loader and next year I will have a plow also when I finish my other D-250 .

shallowwatersailor

One of the factors to consider (dozer blade vs. snowblower/snowthrower) is if you have room for the pushed snow to stay. If there is a fence line or you are far enough North that there might not be a thaw, it would warrant blowing the snow But if that isn't a factor, up to between 6"-8" i would use the blade as it is quicker. Beyond that it is best to blow it.

We have had two snowfalls this year, so far. All I have had to do is use my leaf blower and a pusher shovel!

• Like 6

SPINJIM

I have both a snowblower and a plow on two different WHs, and I love having both.   But if I had to choose one, I'd go with the plow.   I've had three snows this year (about 2-4 inches each), and the plow has done a great job.    If I get a 6 or 10" of snow, I'll get out the snowblower.   Also, in this windy weather we've been having, I don't like using the snowblower because I end up being coated in snow and looking like a  snowman.   Wish I had a snow cab.

Jim

Edited by SPINJIM
  • Like 4

cpete1

Just got done rigging up a plow ,(with the help of this forum) to use in addition to my existing snow bower. Have a 310 and a 414. My driveway is 1000 feet long, stone base with one substantial incline. I have used the blower for the last 5 or 6 years. Its a single stage.  I have the skids all the way down so there is about 2" snow left on driveway to avoid the rocks.  The blower does an amazing job of handling bulk snow and doesn't tear everything up. You will most definitely need weights and chains on the blower tractor, won't move without them... I just used the plow for the second time yesterday. Only have chains on the tractor, Its great for cleaning up the loose stuff left by the blower. I got the driveway down to a hard packed crust which provides pretty good traction as far as vehicles coming and going.  The plow will move over 6" of snow but its starts to accumulate after a couple of passes, to the point where its a bear. That's not the case with the blower.  So in the end, I'm really happy to have both and the plow only made it that much better. 

Yesterday a friend stopped in with an s-90 Volvo and couldn't make it out of the driveway (all season radials), I had to take over and we ended up "backing the car out", front wheel drives sometimes go better backwards. This was before I plowed. After plowing, I'm sure this wouldn't have been a problem as I'm down to the hard crust and that's frozen, we're at -4 as I write.

I intend to get weights for the plow tractor although I was surprised at how well it did without them. Damn wheel horse's are amazing!!!

Hope this helps you decide you're plan of attack, ... Oh and the people here (on this forum) are some of the meanest, most miserable people I have ever dealt with !!!!! They won't help you or give you any ideas of ANYTHING!!!!  LOL :)

Chris

• Haha 7

Ed Kennell

All good advice above Farmer.  I'll just add my three cents,sense, scents,etc.

My plow tractor is a 312H w/hyd lift and foot control.  It is equipped with a 48" blade w/ front stabilizer/sway control.

I have  rubber chains on turf tires and with me in the seat, close to 500 lbs of weight on the rears. 

This plow will push 12" of snow and stack it 20" high with no problem.   I can push snow up my steep asphalt driveway w/o any wheel spin.

This is my go to tractor for 90% of the snows we get in my area.   It is fast, fun, and with the hyd lift and foot control motion pedal, there is no lost time shifting gears and raising the plow when reversing direction.

The blower tractor is a 520H equipped with a single  stage  blower with all the chute controls inside a heated cab.  IMO, a cab Is a necessity for blowing snow.  The blower has added 8" wheels to carry it two inches high to clear the stones on the gravel road.   The blower is used on the stones and to chew through drifts that are over the plows capacity.

For traction, I use 2 link V-Bar chains on turf tires with 400 lb of weight on the rears. 

If I had a FEL available for the occasional rare super storm and only had one other tractor, It would be a plow tractor with hydraulic  lift and foot control.  :)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Sarge

One big thing to consider - if you're only running a 10hp engine currently it will struggle pulling the load of a blower, they need some pretty serious horsepower to run them most times depending upon the conditions . A single stage blower has to be forced into the snow a certain amount to keep it "loaded" so it will blow it out with enough force to move it away from where it's at - 16hp or more is usually a lot better but I have ran one with a tired 12hp engine - just have to go slow and allow it to come back up to rpm when it bogs down . There are several models of single stage blowers as well - some work easier than others and it also can depend on wear on the auger/ejection paddles/housing . The tighter the clearance to the housing - they more efficient they work and the farther they will throw the material . No matter how you do it - when you use a blower even if you're careful a lot of that snow will come back onto you , that's why everyone that has a cab is happy to use their blower . Those of us that don't have a cab are hesitant for that reason - being coated with snow can make for some cold work in a hurry .

The best way to tackle it is to have 2 different tractors - one dedicated to blower work , the other for blade work .Don't forget , the blade is great for many other jobs - the blower is really only good for one and that's moving snow . Using a blade will take a lot of passes depending upon how far you need to push the material , the blower can make one pass and you're done since you can throw it to where you want to deposit it . That's the basics...

If you have time - watch some YouTube videos of Wheel Horse's moving snow with different options of blower versus blades ,then you can figure out which way to go . 

Sarge

• Like 5
  • Excellent 2

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, cpete1 said:

Oh and the people here (on this forum) are some of the meanest, most miserable people I have ever dealt with !!!!! They won't help you or give you any ideas of ANYTHING!!!!  LOL

:ROTF::ROTF::ROTF::ROTF::ROTF::ROTF::ROTF::ROTF:

4 hours ago, ohiofarmer said:

No snow as of yet, but we get some occasionally and maybe only one or two 8" plus events a winter with the rare 16-20" events or some drifts to bust through

You guys have the experience and i am a complete newbie for installing or  using either a plow or a blower.

If I HAD to choose between the 2 where You are, I'd have the plow.

If you get a bigger snow event you will need to take smaller bites while plowing but in the end I think you'd be happier with ease of use and overall speed for the normal smaller snows. As stated by @shallowwatersailor you need a place to put the pushed stuff.

Edited by ebinmaine
  • Like 3

Tankman

Had a blower, never used it. Sold.

Use the blade.

If the weatherman says, “12” of snow.” I go plow approximately 4”-6”.

Should’ve stayed in Mesa, AZ! :icecream:

• Like 2

bigplow1

Hey ohio farmer I am not far from you in piqua and my parents live in covington I use a plow all the time I am using a case 444 now but I am also setting up my dad's 520h with a plow now you will do just fine with the plow but I would Def get a set of 2 link chains you will move a lot of snow with those I got mine for my case at tirechains.com .com 2 link hd ones and will be ordering a set for the horse soon I hope I need to get a set of turf tires for it they work the best of those we mow with the Ag tires I will just leave the chains on and switch the wheels out when I put the deck back on hope this helps

• Like 2

GREYGHOST

Ohio Farmer, just a word. If your using the blower, and its running over gravel, and if any buildings with windows that are close to the driveway. Throw the snow AWAY from the building's. Don't ask how I know that.

• Like 4

cpete1

ugh-hg Greyghost, How big was the window??:(

Ed Kennell
7 hours ago, GREYGHOST said:

Ohio Farmer, just a word. If your using the blower, and its running over gravel, and if any buildings with windows that are close to the driveway. Throw the snow AWAY from the building's. Don't ask how I know that.

:text-yeahthat:       This is one reason I use the plow whenever possible.   I also have the skid plates set as low as possible and have added 8" wheels to the blower to keep it from picking up the stones.

• Like 1

GREYGHOST
10 hours ago, cpete1 said:

ugh-hg Greyghost, How big was the window??:(

Ah, Windows. I had the skid plates down as far as they would go. But, the rolling snow was still picking those guys up. 

Sarge

Yup, been there - done that as well as peppered our old dog once too. Blowers and gravel don't get along too well...

Sarge

Uncle Buck

Don't have any tractor mounted snow throwers. I only have blades for my horses. The first snow that I ever used a blade on one of my WH tractors was a 13" snow. I had rear chains, no weight either front or rear. I found I could push the snow as long as I had the blade pushing snow straight (no angle pushing) I was very impressed with this performance considering I was doing this with an 8HP Kohler. I have since added plastic weight to the rear and have big plans for adding weight on the front one of these days.

I love blowers, but have grown to love plowing so much I doubt I will ever add a blower.

• Like 1

moe1965

I have a single stage blower with a 10 hp Koehler it works fine.  Gear selection is the key. 

js5020

I have both a blade and a blower for the 16 Auto.  I use a blade 99% of the time as I have gravel/rock drive.  The blower only comes out over 8 or 10" and with the skids all the way down to limit the risk of auger damage, would prefer to use the blower however my removal surfaces just make it impossible to do so.  

• Like 1

Huntingtown520hc

Snowblower two  mod questions

1) thinking about changing my wheels on my single stage to something like this from TSC 

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/arnold-8-in-steel-wheel?cm_vc=-10005

2) someone converted this from a short chute to a long chute but I think they for got to add a collar in the chute opening to help it show farther … my question is do I need to add a piece of sheet metal to close up the opening ?

CED1A63B-B1E9-4EA0-B393-6B3AF87F8932.jpeg

CA8C9244-2B24-47DB-B218-459CA54DF950.jpeg

peter lena

@Huntingtown520hc you can easily add that chute enhancer , either get the original w/h piece or look up the part and specs and make one yourself. having the older model single stage like yours , went over to the bolt on ski type , shaped like  an L in design ,drill and bolt on , work well. use a snow release spray in your chute area , helps discharge, use a specific CHAIN AND CABLE LUBRICANT ON YOUR AUGER DRIVE . never let mine dry out , spray before and after use. 1/2" play on that # 40 chain . add this for easy chute control . did this years ago , simple easy , all you need is a die nut , taper grind  end , pete

Huntingtown520hc

Has anyone replaced the metal casters with pneumatic wheels?  I have a 1/4 gravel lane and want to avoid sucking up rocks.

image.jpeg.8f1f30cae96c5b067cd6a4afea55ea15.jpeg

Huntingtown520hc

Ed Kennell

peter lena

@Huntingtown520hc  , plowing / blowing  over gravel is tough , think your main issue is that your blower has to  SIDE / SLIDE , not dig in , look here http://snowblowerskids.com/  for possible ideas. personally those spring loaded disc skids used om bigger plows , have the softer slide , that works better . those one track wheels will not give you the angle support you want. look up  QUAD , plowing accessories . they often use those spring mounted sliders , pete